News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4306 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:28 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:27 am
This. However, some new sleepers will be laid; there's several piles of new ones near Dudley Park station.
The track from north of Pym St that ran into Islington Works has been removed and the crossover between Dudley Park and Pym St was being removed this afternoon.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4307 Post by Nathan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:45 pm

Bob wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:07 pm
Steel gantry posts for the electrification project delivered today (lying on their side), near North Adelaide Railway Station.

Workers a plenty as the line is closed.
Saw just one being installed later this afternoon.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4308 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:46 pm
Out of idle curiosity, has the option of running suburban trains out as far as Virginia or Two Wells been considered?

There's a lot of development there.

Given the possibility of having a couple of stations only but well connected to buses in the area, that could be a very fast service, even with diesels.

I'm not advocating it, btw, rather asking if it's ever been studied?
I don't know of a study, but the problem for now is that the track to Virginia and Two Wells is standard gauge, while the rest of the suburban network is broad gauge.

PeFe

#4309 Post by PeFe » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:27 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 pm
rubberman wrote:
Out of idle curiosity, has the option of running suburban trains out as far as Virginia or Two Wells been considered?

Given the possibility of having a couple of stations only but well connected to buses in the area, that could be a very fast service, even with diesels.

I don't know of a study, but the problem for now is that the track to Virginia and Two Wells is standard gauge, while the rest of the suburban network is broad gauge.
If there was to be a Two Wells Adelaide Metro train service then why not build a new line north of Dry Creek leaving the current Salisbury Two Wells train line as freight only.

The new line could head north from Dry creek skirting between the North South motorway and just west of suburbia at Salisbury/Burton never interconnecting with the freight line.

Also a chance to build "outer suburbia" with some decent public transport attached. The stations could be transit orientated developments with apartments and bus interchange along your traditional (shrinking) quarter acre blocks.

Not that I'm advocating this is the way Adelaide should grow but if it does come to this can we at least do it right?

SBD

#4310 Post by SBD » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:54 pm

PeFe wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:27 am
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
rubberman wrote:

If there was to be a Two Wells Adelaide Metro train service then why not build a new line north of Dry Creek leaving the current Salisbury Two Wells train line as freight only.

The new line could head north from Dry creek skirting between the North South motorway and just west of suburbia at Salisbury/Burton never interconnecting with the freight line.

Also a chance to build "outer suburbia" with some decent public transport attached. The stations could be transit orientated developments with apartments and bus interchange along your traditional (shrinking) quarter acre blocks.

Not that I'm advocating this is the way Adelaide should grow but if it does come to this can we at least do it right?
If going to the expense of building a new line, it might be just as viable to do the Northern Connector rail component to move the freight trains out of the inner northern suburbs, then gauge convert the current line back to broad gauge between Sailsbury and Bolivar

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4311 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:36 pm

SBD wrote:
PeFe wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

If going to the expense of building a new line, it might be just as viable to do the Northern Connector rail component to move the freight trains out of the inner northern suburbs, then gauge convert the current line back to broad gauge between Sailsbury and Bolivar
I agree with this. It world also cement Salisbury further as a regional centre.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#4312 Post by Bob » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:41 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:36 pm
SBD wrote:
PeFe wrote:

I agree with this. It world also cement Salisbury further as a regional centre.
If or when the new Northern Connector ARTC line is built between Dry Creek and Virginia, the existing line from Virginia to Edinburgh Industrial area will still be required as an intermodal standard gauge freight connection (becoming a branch line). A branch line from the new main ARTC line in the same manner as Port Adelaide, Outer Harbor, Islington, Regency Park etc, places where railed freight has to connect to the main ARTC line.

Then the existing ARTC standard gauge line from Salisbury to Dry Creek would either be removed or handed over for suburban use. If handed over the decision if it would be gauge converted to broad gauge or not would depend on the long-term plans for what gauge is going to be used long term across the suburban network.

So, a suburban line from Salisbury to Two Wells via Virginia in this scenario becomes more difficult to foresee.

PS - the marshalling rail yard between Port Wakefield Road and Mawons Lakes would also be removed if/when the new ARTC line Northern Connector line is built.

PeFe

#4313 Post by PeFe » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:58 am

So does the Northern Connector rail corridor still exist? Has the land been set aside for future use?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4314 Post by Spotto » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:32 pm

PeFe wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:58 am
So does the Northern Connector rail corridor still exist? Has the land been set aside for future use?
Yes, a corridor has been reserved on the eastern side of NC.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4315 Post by Eurostar » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:31 pm

Before any new branch lines majority of the lines should be electrified.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4316 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:55 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:31 pm
Before any new branch lines majority of the lines should be electrified.
Also that would free up DMUs for any new branch lines.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#4317 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:45 am

Adelaide metro are starting to cut the number of carriages on some of the Outer Harbor trains.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4318 Post by Spotto » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:36 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:45 am
Adelaide metro are starting to cut the number of carriages on some of the Outer Harbor trains.
Haven’t they been doing that for a while already?

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4319 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:11 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:
With coronavirus, there is much less demand for public transport. They could cut back every train to one or two carriages.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#4320 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:41 am

Spotto wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:36 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Haven’t they been doing that for a while already?
Every time I have seen a train been two and that is at night too after the virus start but
yesterday seen some with one and all trains after about 6 pm.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/