News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ml69
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4546 Post by ml69 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:35 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:06 am
SBD wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:53 pm
SRW wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:41 pm
I can't see what would be gained from a bus tunnel that can't be gained from a commuter mall on Grenfell/Currie? It'd be nice to think shifting transport underground would allow more space for pedestrians above, but you know it'd just be returned to cars.
Surface level in Queen Street in Brisbane is much nicer than Grenfell Street. The bus station is underground. The street is not full of cars either.

Traffic management during a cut and cover operation would be a challenge but probably not impossible in stages.
But again, unlike rail, I don't see a huge benefit to undergrounding buses? Grenfell St is much wider than Queen St, so doesn't have the same capacity constraints. And an electric bus fleet seems likely in 10 or more years, reducing some of their unpleasantness. Either congestion or transit needs would to have change severely for it to become worthwhile. It should definitely be factored into longterm planning, and if we ever have enough money, then great -- all for it. But we should remain mindful of other priorities, as well as adverse effects on passenger numbers if driving is made easier at grade.
Your arguments always make a lot of sense SRW.

We just need to turn Grenfell and Currie St (between Pulteney and Morphett St) Into a transit mall on weekdays. And then plant lots of greenery and trees and on the footpaths, North Tce style. Add in some nice urban design and seating. That’s it.

Local traffic would have to be permitted on Grenfell/Currie St ... eg deliveries and access to Grenfell St car park.
Last edited by ml69 on Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#4547 Post by TorrensSA » Wed May 27, 2020 6:25 pm

Would be pretty easy to turn Grenfell Street into a nice tree lined bus street, you would need to allow cars to travel east though for the Rundle Place carpark. You could remove the parking / bus stop lane from each side, which would make the footpath 3m wider and plant some trees and than there's one bus stop lane and bus lane (shared heading east) in each direction. Waymouth Streets footpath was widened (north side around number 12 to 38) and trees planted, Grenfell / Currie could copy this, it looks decent.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4548 Post by Norman » Wed May 27, 2020 6:51 pm

This is getting off-topic now, but I did a project last year about a bus tunnel though the CBD. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Aka2NTSlJsWKv-twlY6 ... w?e=fWPIqz

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4549 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:51 pm
This is getting off-topic now, but I did a project last year about a bus tunnel though the CBD. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

Ahh, I miss some of the creative fun that uni assignments could bring.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4550 Post by crawf » Wed May 27, 2020 9:27 pm

Norman wrote:

Nice work!

madelaide
Gold-Member ;)

#4551 Post by madelaide » Thu May 28, 2020 1:19 am

Norman wrote:

Excellent presentation. Solid proposal. Great work.

ChillyPhilly

#4552 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 am

Gawler Electrification update:

Masts are being poured between Islington and Kilburn stations.

New survey pegs at Salisbury station.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4553 Post by Spotto » Fri May 29, 2020 7:04 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-29/ ... s/12301252
Diesel train cars will have some of their seats removed, timetables will change and cash payments will remain banned.
Transport Minister Stephan Knoll said allowing more space in aisles would help improve social distancing as more commuters return to using public transport and the economy slowly reopens.
This is a change that is long overdue and really should’ve been done when the trains were being refit with new engines. The aisles on the 3000s are too narrow for disability access and standing room.

Nine News Adelaide made me chuckle, they seem to think the seats are all laid out 3-3 and every other seat will be pulled out.
3063C6EB-266B-45D4-A333-3B0B59D5E895.png
0BE79062-FBE6-4717-B02D-59476DEDE70E.png

claybro

#4554 Post by claybro » Fri May 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:04 pm
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-29/ ... s/12301252
Diesel train cars will have some of their seats removed, timetables will change and cash payments will remain banned.
Transport Minister Stephan Knoll said allowing more space in aisles would help improve social distancing as more commuters return to using public transport and the economy slowly reopens.
This is a change that is long overdue and really should’ve been done when the trains were being refit with new engines. The aisles on the 3000s are too narrow for disability access and standing room.

Nine News Adelaide made me chuckle, they seem to think the seats are all laid out 3-3 and every other seat will be pulled out.
3063C6EB-266B-45D4-A333-3B0B59D5E895.png 0BE79062-FBE6-4717-B02D-59476DEDE70E.png
I missed this report, but what is the point of removing seats, if they don't control the amount of passengers on the rail car? Surely people will now just stand and crowd the doors and isles anyway? Have I missed something, or will they also have staff at every station monitoring the amount of commuters on each train? Is the government going to discourage PT overcrowding by also providing cheap daily car parking in the CBD? If not, it's a bit of a OHS risk avoidance wank.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4555 Post by Norman » Fri May 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Public transport road map to keep South Australians safe
When: From Friday 29 May 2020

The State Government has announced a public transport road map, in response to Australia Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) advice released on Friday, 29 May, to help continue to keep South Australians safe on buses, trains and trams.

The AHPPC has developed Principles for COVID-19 Public Transport Operations to provide guidance to public transport operators and passengers to help keep them safe.

Among the measures are a trial to extend the morning and afternoon peak periods on the Gawler train line, additional marking on platforms, updated signage and posters and to accelerate the introduction of new smartphone apps to provide commuters with enhanced real-time information.

In March, Adelaide Metro introduced measures to keep commuters safe on public transport, including:
  • More frequent cleaning of buses, trams and trains;
  • Discontinued cash handling by transitioning to a “MetroCard Only” system;
  • Accelerated the installation of Perspex screens for bus drivers and restricted access to open areas immediately around drivers;
  • Staggered arrival of trains at Adelaide Railway Station to spread the peaks of people entering and leaving the terminal;
  • Installation of signage on the fleet of trains, trams and buses that sends clear messages not to board if unwell; and to encourage physical distancing as far as practicable at stops and stations, and on board services;
  • Frequent station announcements about COVID-19 safe practices on public transport; and,
  • Signage at key stations and interchanges, and inside vehicles with information published by health authorities about good personal hygiene habits.

The new measures to be introduced, based on the AHPPC advice and in consultation with the Chief Public Health Officer, include;
  • Trial a new AM and PM peak train timetable on the Gawler line that will provide more services across an extended peak period to increase capacity and give customers more options;
  • As customers return to bus services, monitor the busiest bus routes (like the O-Bahn), moving available capacity and shifting services around to better match the demand with the number and timing of services offered;
  • Accelerate the introduction of a range of new Apps that provide customers with better real-time information about their public transport services to make it easier to find information;
  • Update signage and posters across the network to provide more information to customers about the recommended habits and behaviours whilst using public transport.
  • Accelerate conversion of the remainder of the diesel train fleet to 2x2 seating (currently 2x3) to provide for more aisle space for customers;
  • Provide well signposted hand sanitisation facilities at Adelaide Railway Station.
https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... lians-safe

I don't understand what they mean with "Accelerate the introduction of a range of new Apps that provide customers with better real-time information about their public transport services to make it easier to find information". They already have MetroMate, and real-time info works with Google Maps, Any Trip and a few others. What other apps could he be talking about? In house apps? Is he improving the MetroMate app with more features? Or is this just more meaningless filler?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4556 Post by Spotto » Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:33 pm
I don't understand what they mean with "Accelerate the introduction of a range of new Apps that provide customers with better real-time information about their public transport services to make it easier to find information". They already have MetroMate, and real-time info works with Google Maps, Any Trip and a few others. What other apps could he be talking about? In house apps? Is he improving the MetroMate app with more features? Or is this just more meaningless filler?
MetroMATE is useless now it just redirects you to Google Maps to plan a journey.

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#4557 Post by Modbury_Man » Sat May 30, 2020 10:29 am

Spotto wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:59 pm
Norman wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:33 pm
MetroMATE is useless now it just redirects you to Google Maps to plan a journey.
Could it be an app like used elsewhere that will tell you in advance how full the approaching service is through using sensors within the train?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4558 Post by Spotto » Sat May 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:04 pm
Follow-up to my previous post. Today’s Advertiser had an article about the seat removal. They wrote our current seats are 3x3... with a picture clearly showing the 3x2 seats right next to the article... :lol:

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#4559 Post by NTRabbit » Sat May 30, 2020 5:17 pm

I'd like for live GPS tracking of public transport to actually work for more than 1 in 40 vehicles

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4560 Post by Norman » Sat May 30, 2020 7:04 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:17 pm
I'd like for live GPS tracking of public transport to actually work for more than 1 in 40 vehicles
Really? I find they work 95% of the time.