News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Electrification and Resleepering of TransAdelaide Network

#676 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:51 am

I doubt they will be closed, I'm guessing that the upgrade process will be similar to that of how they upgraded Parafield Station, as in close one half of the platform for half the time, and then finish the other half in the second half.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#677 Post by muzzamo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:56 am

I'm still waiting for them to announce something decent for tonsley. Its been announced and reannounced several times now..

Attached is a more high resolution scan from the paper
station.jpg
station.jpg (351.86 KiB) Viewed 3755 times

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#678 Post by Shuz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:46 am

Judging by concept renders, it's shit. I can see how they're trying to mimic the Oaklands scheme, but I personally think Oaklands has set the standard for new station platform standards. This is below par, therefore...

FAIL.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#679 Post by muzzamo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:25 pm

At least from hallet cove to noarlunga its grade separated.

They are going to have to put a serious amount of new carparking space in, and use the space that they do have much more efficiently.

Oaklands was a bit dissapointing from a carparking perspective because there were massive garden beds where there could have been more cars.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#680 Post by Aidan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:46 pm

muzzamo wrote:At least from hallet cove to noarlunga its grade separated.
...apart from a level crossing at Lonsdale, but the traffic is directed away from that.
They are going to have to put a serious amount of new carparking space in, and use the space that they do have much more efficiently.
How full does Hallett Cove station car park get at the moment?
Oaklands was a bit dissapointing from a carparking perspective because there were massive garden beds where there could have been more cars.
Available parking nearly doubles and you complain they didn't put enough spaces in???

What's needed is not more parking, but better bus services so that fewer parking spaces are needed. A good start would be to replace the existing Seacombe Heights bus route with a figure 8: Oaklands station, Diagonal Rd, Marion SC, Morphett Road, Braeside Avenue, Miller Street, Marion SC, Morphett Rd and back to Oaklands Station. As the existing setup at Oaklands does not include provision for turning buses, they'd probably have to use Prunus Street to turn.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#681 Post by fabricator » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Shuz wrote:Judging by concept renders, it's shit. I can see how they're trying to mimic the Oaklands scheme, but I personally think Oaklands has set the standard for new station platform standards. This is below par...
However Oaklands cost $26 million, compared to just $8m for these ($4m each ?).
Personally I think Oaklands was a little too expensive for a station, and not very practical for passengers.
If every station had $26m spent on it the state would be in a bad shape, do you know concrete sleepered track is $1m per km, therefore we could have relaid half the Barossa line for that sort of money.

Of note is that these are full coverage over the tracks, so avoiding the breeze chilling everyone to deal in winter. Plus provides a way to support the overhead wires at a later date, no idea what they plan to do at Oaklands where an brand new overhead signal is in the way of the overhead.

What concerns me is the patchy cladding applied to the framework, looks rather nasty, incomplete and will no doubt provided limited protection from the elements. Maybe they plan to add more one electrification is complete.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#682 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:46 pm

muzzamo wrote:There is a shitload of them stockpiled at lonsdale too
Reflecting back on the question on the sleepers, I think these will be used at the upgraded Hallett Cove stations when they are upgraded later this year.

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#683 Post by Archer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:22 pm

While I guess that's a possibility, I believe that there are far more sleepers stockpiled at Lonsdale than would be required in the upgrade of Hallet Cove and Hallet Cove Beach Stations.

I'll try and get some pictures when I'm on the train tomorrow to give an idea of the size of the stock pile.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#684 Post by fabricator » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:42 pm

Interesting, its possible this stock pile is to extend the rail depot at Lonsdale, or they are replacing all the track in one of the long cuttings.

Pat28
High Rise Poster!

#685 Post by Pat28 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:04 pm

Slightly related in regard to the Grange line. It being single track in its entire length from Woodville to Grange and the government wants to put trams on the same strech for most of the way, - does that mean the Grange line will be double tracked to cater for the trains and trams?? If so there is not much space before Port Road (after seems ok) to cater for a second track.
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Will409
Legendary Member!

#686 Post by Will409 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Work on the Belair line started today. I had a very quick look down the line and there were around 40 workmen at Belair station (along with 2 back ho's) starting to dismantle some of the signalling equipment before the track is ripped up. On the tram later on, I noticed some more track work being under taken between Goodwood and Keswick.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#687 Post by fabricator » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Pat28 wrote:Slightly related in regard to the Grange line. It being single track in its entire length from Woodville to Grange and the government wants to put trams on the same strech for most of the way, - does that mean the Grange line will be double tracked to cater for the trains and trams?? If so there is not much space before Port Road (after seems ok) to cater for a second track.
Used to be some double track sections between Woodville and Albert park. Albert park was two tracks, as was the now removed Holdens station. The later track has been restored effectively now to allow trains the pass before they get to Woodville.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#688 Post by Somebody » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon yesterday announced the Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach stations - among the busiest on the network - would be refurbished and improved.
I'm surprised those are that busy. I used Hallett Cove Beach once and there was a few others around, but not that many. It was off-peak though.

Probably relative to Adelaide's shit rail patronage, lol.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#689 Post by deano91 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:09 pm

Somebody wrote:
Transport Minister Patrick Conlon yesterday announced the Hallett Cove and Hallett Cove Beach stations - among the busiest on the network - would be refurbished and improved.
I'm surprised those are that busy. I used Hallett Cove Beach once and there was a few others around, but not that many. It was off-peak though.

Probably relative to Adelaide's shit rail patronage, lol.
Hallet Cove Beach is very busy mate. I catch the train from there on the service that gets into the city at 8.45am (so probably one of the busiest trains of the day) and there are at least probably 75 other people that get on (I'm really bad with estimations, but if anything I have probably underestimated there, I would not be surprised at all if the number is actually well over 100). And it's not just the one service that is that busy, there are 3 or 4 services (including the one I catch) in the morning that I have seen that busy. Hallet Cove is much the same. Basically, when the train gets to Hallett Cove Beach, there are plenty of seats and by the time the train has stopped at Hallett Cove Beach and Hallet Cove, there is almost not even any standing room. I'm not sure about how busy the Northern lines get, but these two stations are probably up in the top 3 or 4 of the busiest stations of the 3 Southern lines.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#690 Post by fabricator » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:48 pm

The bus services around Hallett Cove are pretty limited, the road layout and steep hills make it difficult to get buses to where they need to go. In any case most tend to just drive to the station and climb on the train, was like that years ago when I went down there every few weeks, and I doubt things have changed.