News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Railcar Refurbishments

#871 Post by AG » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Topic name changed on request. The new topic name is probably more reflective of what the subject of this thread is, rather than simply pointing out a key feature of the upgrades which misses the point as to why the upgrades are being done in the first place.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#872 Post by Aidan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:59 pm

Prince George wrote:Yay to the revamp, but boo to the tone of this article, with negative touches like
But under the retro-fit program the number of seats on each carriage will be reduced by nine to allow for increased disability access.
"But"? I guess in Adelaide Now's view of the world, making it easier for the disabled to access public transport isn't a good thing.
I guess in your view of the world, any improvement in disabled access to public transport, no matter how slight, is a good thing regardless of how much worse it makes things for other passengers.

Meanwhile in the real world, reducing the number of seats in each carriage is a negative thing, because it means fewer passengers will get seats. And it won't improve disabled access much - it won't speed up boarding at all, so ramps will still be needed. And it's not as if there's currently a great shortage of space for disabled passengers.

The refurbished railcars are generally an improvement, but that's no excuse for pretending there's no disadvantage.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#873 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:01 pm

As someone who is in a wheelchair I think it is a good idea. I can't wait to see the refurbished carriages but I could be waiting to March as I am on the Outer Harbor line.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#874 Post by muzzamo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:17 pm

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#875 Post by deano91 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm

I was on the refurbished train today and took some audio but I have no idea where to upload them to share on here?? Anyone have any suggestions of sites like Flickr or PhotoBucket that support audio upload??

EDIT - Alrighty,for those that haven't had the pleasure of riding the refurbished train yet, I've got it all uploaded to soundboard.com. Sorry for the horrible sound quality, the audio was taken on my phone because I didn't expect that I would be on that train. The link is: http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Deano91.aspx
The four sounds are:
1. SalisburyAlightBus - This is the announcement that is made when the train is pulling into a station which has local bus connections.
2. StandClearBeeps - This is the announcement that is made and the accompanying noise when the driver closes the doors or when the doors have been open for about a minute or two (such as sitting around in Adelaide Station). If the doors in the carriage are not opened, there is no announcement. The announcement always seems to be slightly cut off at the beginning, so it always sounds like she is saying "Tand clear" :P
3. NurluttaNoOpen - This is the announcement that is made when the train is pulling into a regular station. Also, the next part of the sound is the beeps that are made by the doors when sitting in a station and they aren't opened. This beeping continues until the driver closes the other open doors.
4. NextArrivingElizabethExpressSmithfieldAndBus - When a train is going to be running express after the next stop, there is an extra announcement before arriving in the station to warn passengers of this. It then has the regular "arriving at" announcement (and in this case, also has the local bus announcement).

So there ya go. Again, sorry about the poor audio quality. Overall, I liked the new improvements however the announcements do seem to be slightly muffled and sometimes are a bit glitchy (such as the closing doors announcement and also Mawson Lakes seems to be pronounced Msn Lakes). Hopefully these few glitches can be improved on soon enough.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#876 Post by AtD » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:26 pm

Aidan wrote:Meanwhile in the real world, reducing the number of seats in each carriage is a negative thing, because it means fewer passengers will get seats. And it won't improve disabled access much - it won't speed up boarding at all, so ramps will still be needed. And it's not as if there's currently a great shortage of space for disabled passengers.
Less seats = greater crush capacity. Great for the morning runs from Mawson Lakes, for example.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#877 Post by AG » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:13 pm

AtD wrote:
Aidan wrote:Meanwhile in the real world, reducing the number of seats in each carriage is a negative thing, because it means fewer passengers will get seats. And it won't improve disabled access much - it won't speed up boarding at all, so ramps will still be needed. And it's not as if there's currently a great shortage of space for disabled passengers.
Less seats = greater crush capacity. Great for the morning runs from Mawson Lakes, for example.
This is true, but having greater standing capacity alone is only useful up to a point. By removing the seats, greater capacity would be achieved but loading and unloading times at stations would increase significantly as they would still only have 2 doors on each side per car. Trying to rebuild carriage structures to accommodate a 3rd door would be fairly troublesome considering the position of the existing doors and windows on the 3000 series railcars. A few years ago, Hong Kong managed to add 2 extra doors on the sides of each carriage (from 3 to 5) on some of its older trains to improve boarding times but had issues with structural weaknesses and needed to make extra repairs to them. They're still working properly, fortunately.

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#878 Post by Mpol » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:08 pm

This is nice... but with many of the lines becoming electronic... in a few years, was this totally nessescary?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#879 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 pm

Mpol wrote:This is nice... but with many of the lines becoming electronic... in a few years, was this totally nessescary?
The refurbished trains will be changed to electric operation as well.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#880 Post by fabricator » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:33 am

The path to upgrade the trains to electric simply consists of swapping the engine/fuel tank for a 25kv transformer, install a pantograph on the roof, remove the roof radiator pod, and maybe move the exhaust 'bump' inside for the high voltage cable to run down. The trains were designed to be easy to convert to electric, and so carry everything else needed.

New SG bogies for the 3000/3100 class are on order, as the current ones have copped too much abuse over the years anyway.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

Re: Electrification and Resleepering of TransAdelaide Network

#881 Post by Hooligan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:03 pm

I will try and take some photos next week of the Port Adelaide viaduct, on the eastern side of commerical road (behind the holden dealer) only the pylons are standing and the whole track deck is gone!

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#882 Post by Mpol » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:32 pm

Oh... I thought the tram like trains would be replacing all the passenger trains, how dumb of me. I did wonder about the stations but not anymore. Cool.

jordan85
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#883 Post by jordan85 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:16 pm

Does anyone know which Noarlunga service this refurbished train runs during weekdays? To/from the city, I'm not fussed, just want to see what the ride's like for myself!

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#884 Post by Tonsley213 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:13 pm

I know that it is on an express service form norlunga thats gose past woodlands park at about 8:00 in the morning.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#885 Post by muzzamo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:46 am

Tonsley213 wrote:I know that it is on an express service form norlunga thats gose past woodlands park at about 8:00 in the morning.
Yep, that seems about right. I caught it at 8:55 at hallett cove beach BUT they had a major balls up that morning with a trained cancelled and another late so its normally around 8am.

Also there are PLENTY more photos in this thread: http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 62#p543862