News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4291 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 am
Brucetiki wrote:
Spotto wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:33 pm
Saw some poor woman waiting on the outbound platform at Salisbury just now. Luckily we eventually convinced her that it doesn’t get used outside of peak times and to come over to Platform 2.

Which begs the question, why is Salisbury the only oddity on the whole network? None of the other interchange stations switch the trains over to the bus-adjacent platform. An attempt at convenience becomes confusion to passengers who aren’t in the know.
A few other stations probably need a set up like Salisbury. Mawson Lakes, Elizabeth and the Showgrounds are three where this could be handy.
I get why you would do this for the stations on the Gawler Line, but how would it be an advantage at the Showground station? There's no bus interchange there.
No, but it would make for easier access to the Showgrounds around show time.

The rest of year, you're right, there's probably little point in doing it. I was just thinking of some examples outside of the Gawler line where this idea could work.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4292 Post by Spotto » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:31 pm
Norman wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 am
Brucetiki wrote:
A few other stations probably need a set up like Salisbury. Mawson Lakes, Elizabeth and the Showgrounds are three where this could be handy.
I get why you would do this for the stations on the Gawler Line, but how would it be an advantage at the Showground station? There's no bus interchange there.
No, but it would make for easier access to the Showgrounds around show time.

The rest of year, you're right, there's probably little point in doing it. I was just thinking of some examples outside of the Gawler line where this idea could work.
Oh dear, I’ve just gotten off at Showground Station on Platform 2/3 and now I have to walk up some stairs or take the lift to the footbridge to get to Rose Terrace. The horror!

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4293 Post by PeFe » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Latest on the outsourcing of Adelaide metro trains management.

From In Daily
Adelaide rail privatisation plan rolls on

Three consortia shortlisted to bid for the Marshall Government’s privatisation of Adelaide’s rail services have been invited to tender, including a group that was last year accused of trying to help Transport Minister Stephan Knoll “spin” the sale.

The sell-off plan remains on track, with an Invitation to Supply issued to three consortia – Adelaide Next, a consortium between Deutsche Bahn and John Holland with Bombardier as a sub-contractor; Keolis Downer, a consortium between Keolis and Downer EDI; and TrainCo, a consortium between Transdev and CAF.

The winning bidder will operate metro rail services on the government network across the Belair, Gawler, Outer Harbor and Seaford lines with spur lines on Grange and Tonsley.

In a statement today, the Government said it was “committed to working collaboratively with employees who will be impacted by the change in delivery model” with “employees and employee associations [to] be consulted in relation to proposed changes which will impact on employees as the project progresses”.

“We are leaving no stone unturned with our reforms to deliver better and more customer focussed bus, train and tram services,” Knoll said in the statement.

He said public transport patronage declined in Labor’s last decade in office, and “we are modernising our public transport network and bringing trains and tram in line with the same model that our buses have operated under for the last 20 years”.

“Since we’ve been rolling out our reforms, we’ve seen some green shoots with public transport patronage increasing by over one million trips last financial year compared to the previous year,” he said.

“We will be capitalising on the vast private sector experience to help deliver better train and tram services while maintaining control of the assets, fares and service frequency.”

He said the companies associated with the shortlisted proponents “have experience delivering better services in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra, as well as in Europe”.

One of them, Newcastle-based Keolis Downer, caused controversy last year when the Labor Opposition exposed an email sent from Downer Group executive general manager Sasha Grebe – a former staffer to Prime Minister Scott Morrison and former Federal Treasurer Joe Hockey – highlighting quotes attributed to former Labor Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis, Premier Jay Weatherill and Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan stating the Labor Government was open to privatising the state’s rail fleet.

“These might be helpful,” Grebe wrote in the email.

However, the quotes were revealed to be fake, taken from a satirical news article entitled “Adelaide looks towards privatisation” originally published by online forum Wheels of Steel in 2014.

It was also revealed last year that Knoll met with Keolis Downer after the tender process had opened, with his agency boss Tony Braxton-Smith telling parliament he had urged the minister to travel to Newcastle to meet with the company, which runs the Yarra Trams operation in Melbourne and the Southlink and Link SA bus networks in Adelaide.

He said the meeting lasted for about two and a half hours and included a site inspection of the Newcastle tram network, which was “at my urging of the Minister”.

“The principle purpose of actually going there was to examine the urban uplift and the transformation to the urban environment that’s happened in Newcastle by virtue of the construction of new light rail,” Braxton-Smith said at the time.

“If you look at light rail in Newcastle it has stimulated a tremendous building boom and this Government has been prevailed upon to think about light rail and it is making commitments to furthering light rail in the CBD.”

He conceded “the (tender) process was underway when the Minister and I went to Newcastle” but “there was no probity officer at the meeting [because] there was nothing discussed”.

“I think it is patently obvious that no conversation could take place in relation to any matter to do with procurement processes either planned or prospective or on foot,” he said.

“I think we need to conduct ourselves with due caution during any of those conversations, but again, I would highlight, the purpose of the trip was for a different matter.”

Under the proposed sell-off, the State Government will retain ownership of rail assets, including trains, trams, tracks and stations, entering into “a performance-based franchise contract that keeps the operator focussed firmly on the efficiency and quality of service delivery to customers”.

https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2020/ ... -rolls-on/
Really I expect better from In Daily ie.... "The sell-off plan remains on track"....its being outsourced. The ownership of the assetts, the fares and frequency of operation all remain with the state government. There is no sale!

Inaccurate journalism decreases intelligent discussion within the community.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4294 Post by Norman » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:55 am

Travelling on the Gawler Line today, there are footings for the poles between Ovingham and Islington. Not sure if there are more further up.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#4295 Post by Pistol » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:42 am

Norman wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:55 am
Travelling on the Gawler Line today, there are footings for the poles between Ovingham and Islington. Not sure if there are more further up.
More further up.
They go to Dry Creek now
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

EBG

#4296 Post by EBG » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 pm

29/2/2020 picture of some rail footings for electrification poles, looking North from Dudley Park station. Please click on picture for bigger.
Attachments
20200229_gawler train.jpg

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#4297 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Vehicle Fire
[@10:48] @Taperoo Railway Station
[@10:48] Metro Train. Smoke in Drivers CAB and Passenger CAB. People have Evacuated. No Injuries

https://sapaging.com/incident?inc_id=FIRE2003280023
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4298 Post by Spotto » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:48 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:07 pm
Vehicle Fire
[@10:48] @Taperoo Railway Station
[@10:48] Metro Train. Smoke in Drivers CAB and Passenger CAB. People have Evacuated. No Injuries

https://sapaging.com/incident?inc_id=FIRE2003280023
If it's the engines again then that makes two of the refit engines to go belly up in just over 7 months. The engines are only two years old.

ChillyPhilly

#4299 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:42 am

Gawler Electrification Project:

- Activity picking up around Islington, with more mast footings being poured.
- Removal of the siding looks to be continuing. Hopefully this, and all tracks behind Bunnings to Costco, can be removed.
- Other works continuing south of the station.
- Work could be about to head further north, with a few theodolites set up on both platforms of Salisbury station, and one on the other side of Park Terrace.

There doesn't seem to any or much provision for some sorely required station expansions and upgrades.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4300 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:31 am

Are they laying gauge convertible sleepers with the electrification?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4301 Post by Spotto » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:12 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:31 am
The Gawler Line has had gauge convertible sleepers for ages

ChillyPhilly

#4302 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:27 am

Spotto wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:31 am
The Gawler Line has had gauge convertible sleepers for ages
This. However, some new sleepers will be laid; there's several piles of new ones near Dudley Park station.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rubberman

#4303 Post by rubberman » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:46 pm

Out of idle curiosity, has the option of running suburban trains out as far as Virginia or Two Wells been considered?

There's a lot of development there.

Given the possibility of having a couple of stations only but well connected to buses in the area, that could be a very fast service, even with diesels.

I'm not advocating it, btw, rather asking if it's ever been studied?

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#4304 Post by Bob » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Steel gantry posts for the electrification project delivered today (lying on their side), near North Adelaide Railway Station.

Workers a plenty as the line is closed.

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#4305 Post by Modbury_Man » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:18 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:46 pm
Out of idle curiosity, has the option of running suburban trains out as far as Virginia or Two Wells been considered?

There's a lot of development there.

Given the possibility of having a couple of stations only but well connected to buses in the area, that could be a very fast service, even with diesels.

I'm not advocating it, btw, rather asking if it's ever been studied?
I know under the new contracts with the Adelaide Meteo bus network the 900 route bus will now run direct from Virginia to Mawson Lakes. This will be quite and quick and efficient link to get people via PT into the CBD.