News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3811 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:49 am

Norman wrote:Is it the new control centre? I thought it was in Dry Creek.
I would have thought the same, but there hasn't been any significant construction at Dry Creek - or, at least, nothing visible from the train.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3812 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:49 am
Norman wrote:Is it the new control centre? I thought it was in Dry Creek.
I would have thought the same, but there hasn't been any significant construction at Dry Creek - or, at least, nothing visible from the train.
The new control centre is at Dry Creek. I understand that building provision was made when the depot was constructed.

The new building oppostite the present control centre is a power suplly and equipment building. See post at http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... 20#p169545 and associated discussion.

PeFe

#3813 Post by PeFe » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:01 pm

Does no-one at Adelaide Metro look at a "Whats On In Adelaide" events calendar?

From The 'Tiser
Trains will be offline during the weekend of the Australia v India Test

The State Government has been labelled “beyond stupid” after quietly announcing it will cancel train services to the city on one of the busiest weekends of the year.

A decision to suspend train services during the weekend of the Adelaide Test must be immediately reversed by the State Government, the South Australian Cricket Association has urged.

The travel plans of thousands of cricket fans has been thrown into chaos after the Transport Department this evening quietly announced that all trains would be offline for one of the biggest weekends of the year, when Australia and India clash at the Adelaide Oval.

The Department was previously going to conduct a two-day rail closure, to “allow for the upgrade and testing of essential operational systems to be undertaken”, this weekend.

But this has been moved to the following weekend, meaning no trains will be operational when tens of thousands of cricket lovers descend on the Adelaide Oval.

Full article : https://www.news.com.au/national/south- ... bb2d3a311f

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3814 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Seriously how fucking stupid. It’s bad enough that are shutting down the WHOLE train network let alone on one of the busiest times of the year.

Fuck the SAHMRI 40. It can wait until early next year.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3815 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:12 am

crawf wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 pm
Seriously how fucking stupid. It’s bad enough that are shutting down the WHOLE train network let alone on one of the busiest times of the year.

Fuck the SAHMRI 40. It can wait until early next year.
The previous government normally did any significant track work (train/tram) in January as this is generally the quietest time of the year patronage wise.

This is an insanely poor decision by Knoll

[Shuz]

#3816 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:18 am

What a terrible decision. Here's hoping common sense prevails.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3817 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:22 am

[Shuz] wrote:What a terrible decision. Here's hoping common sense prevails.
Or Ka-noll could be one of those idiots that doubles down on a bad decision because they are deathly afraid of being called a flip flopper? I hope this Incredibly stupid move is avoided. There’s 52 weeks in a year and ‘this’ important weekend is the only one they can do the work in? Rubbish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#3818 Post by Mpol03 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:34 am

The liberal government have been like most white old men in bed. Flaccid, boring and completely disappointing.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3819 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:09 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:18 am
I applaud this decision by our state government :applause: Cricket is booooooring

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3820 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 pm

HiTouch wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
I applaud this decision by our state government :applause: Cricket is booooooring
You personal sporting likes are irrelevant. This decision makes the whole state look foolish. It needs to be corrected ASAP.

Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3821 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:31 pm
HiTouch wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
You personal sporting likes are irrelevant. This decision makes the whole state look foolish. It needs to be corrected ASAP.

Why does it need to be corrected though?
They have clearly stated that they're suspending it to “allow for the upgrade and testing of essential operational systems to be undertaken”. If it's essential, then why stop them?
Their little cricket match can be moved to another day. Maybe they'll get more visitors that way.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#3822 Post by Mr Messy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:53 pm

They're moving train control from the beige building on North Tce to the rail yards at Wingfield(?). The problem is they have delayed it from this weekend to next weekend.

rhino

#3823 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:59 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:35 pm
Their little cricket match can be moved to another day. Maybe they'll get more visitors that way.
The "little cricket match" is an international fixture, it cannot be moved to another day. Moreover, back in July or something, the Board negotiated with the Government to guarantee that the trains would be running. The Government have since reneged on that arrangement, or, more likely, had forgotten about it, and now Mr KaNoll is being the recalcitrant schoolboy who won't accept his error.
cheers,
Rhino

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#3824 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:10 pm

rhino wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:59 pm
HiTouch wrote:
The "little cricket match" is an international fixture, it cannot be moved to another day. Moreover, back in July or something, the Board negotiated with the Government to guarantee that the trains would be running. The Government have since reneged on that arrangement, or, more likely, had forgotten about it, and now Mr KaNoll is being the recalcitrant schoolboy who won't accept his error.
It's not an error. He's done nothing wrong. We don't even know what this essential upgrade is, it could save hundreds of lives. If thats the case, we should be thanking him.

rhino

#3825 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:38 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:10 pm
rhino wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:59 pm
HiTouch wrote:
It's not an error. He's done nothing wrong. We don't even know what this essential upgrade is, it could save hundreds of lives. If thats the case, we should be thanking him.
From ABC News:
The closure was rescheduled from this weekend (1st-2nd Dec), which Minister Stephan Knoll blamed on a "technical issues with testing"....
"Undertaking those works on this weekend is the best time to undertake them," he said.
Yes, the testing is essential, the timing of it obviously is not.
cheers,
Rhino