News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
shuza
High Rise Poster!

#61 Post by shuza » Mon May 28, 2007 7:02 pm

I'm still sceptical. I'll believe it when its concreted talk and not wishtalk.
Btw - I thought the upgrade was around the 400-600 million figure. Not 250.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#62 Post by Cruise » Mon May 28, 2007 7:06 pm

knowing this adelaide nimbys will proberly jump up and down and want to heritage list the trains because theyve been there so long :lol: :roll:

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by UrbanSG » Mon May 28, 2007 9:21 pm

This sounds hopeful. Have to wait and see some hard figures and proposals though. I would love to catch a train that I can actually see out the windows on for a change :roll:

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by jk1237 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:58 pm

Finally something may happen with our train system. However being such a car dominated city and because it may cost 200-500 million dollars, can you just imagine how many boring letters to The Advertiser and talkback radio on how it should be spent on other things? Just look at the crap against the tramline and thats just 31 million. Will be very interesting and exciting if it actually goes ahead.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#65 Post by crawf » Tue May 29, 2007 3:44 pm

Well its been a day and there was no letters about the trainline upgrade.

This project isn't going to get as much negativity compared to the Glenelg tramline extension, Vic Park etc... because as I said majority of Adelaidian's are fed up with the system.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by bmw boy » Tue May 29, 2007 3:48 pm

and don't forget the opposition is onboard for this 1 too, unlike alot of the projects put forward by the state govt

urban
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by urban » Tue May 29, 2007 3:58 pm

The Advertiser appears to be behind this proposal so they probably won't publish letters against it.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Upgrade of Adelaide Rail Network

#68 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:11 pm

Are there any (presumably unofficial) estimates of what it could cost to convert the metropolitan network to standard gauge?
Keep Adelaide Weird

Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by Punishment466 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:29 pm

SRW wrote:Are there any (presumably unofficial) estimates of what it could cost to convert the metropolitan network to standard gauge?
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember the figure of 300-500 million being thrown around.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by Will409 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:23 am

At the present time, the State Government is currently using gauge convertable concrete sleepers to increase the speed and ease of which gauge conversion can be undertaken. Not only that but standardisation is starting to be seen. You may or may not have noticed that when the track on the Grange line over Port Road was relaid, it had a 3rd rail added set to standard gauge. You may not notice this but the track at nearly every level crossing is generally of better condition then the rest of the line. They have all been fitted with gauge convertable concrete sleepers and are ready for gauge conversion. The only one that I can think of that doesn't have concrete sleepers under the level crossing is oddly on the POuter Harbour line. The Outer Harbour line is already set up for gauge conversion (although not as heavy rail by all reports). In the next couple of years, the Belair and Noarlunga lines will be also fitted out with concrete sleepers.

A few people I know are a little peeved that the Gawler Central line will not be seeing any work at the moment BUT you must remember that between Dry Creek to Gawler Central and beyond, there is a once a day 2000t limestone train from the Barossa. They also have an occasional grain train north of Gawler to Roseworthy. If or when the Gawler Central line is converted to standrd gauge, they would also have to do some country standardisation as well. The yard layout at Dry Creek South freight yard and also Islington Workshops all need attention as well. They will hold off on the Gawler Central line with the exception of timber 'patches' until sufficient funding can be found to do not only the Gawler Central line but all the spurs, yards and other lines can be done also.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Jamo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#71 Post by Jamo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:57 pm

Not sure of the reliability or completeness of this "rumour" but will relay it anyway. Should make an interesting talking point.

Graham Cornes on the 5AA sports show tonight revealed an in house government document that there was to be a train line extension that consisted of a football park loop rail line amongst other changes to the Outer Harbour line including something to do with North Haven. Sounds very vague I know but I came in on the end of the conversation, any body else hear something similar or is it a load of ....... :wank:

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#72 Post by rhino » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:36 pm

Ha ha, sounds like Nicole better stop telling Graham stuff before it's supposed to come out in the open! I wonder what the government thinks about 5AA's sports show being the vehicle for budget announcements?
cheers,
Rhino

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by Pistol » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:18 pm

From the Southern Messenger:
Tunnel vision for southern line

13Aug07

Professor Peter Newman.

AN EXTENDED train tunnel, the first in Adelaide's rail network, is the highlight of a new plan being considered by the State Government to extend train services south of Noarlunga Centre.

The tunnel plan has been put forward by world-renowned public transport expert Professor Peter Newman, as a cheaper alternative to building a $100 million rail bridge across Onkaparinga River.
While details are still sketchy, it is believed the tunnel could start at the end of the train line just before Goldsmith Drv, pass under vacant land adjacent to South Adelaide Football Club, before coming out at the edge of the river about 300m east of New Rd.
A shorter bridge could then be built to traverse the river at a much narrower point, with the train line continuing south to Seaford and possibly Aldinga.
While he could not cost the tunnel, Prof Newman said he believed it would be undoubtedly cheaper then building a 1.3km bridge across the river.
``Tunnelling is not cheap but it's not hard to be cheaper than a $100 million bridge,'' he said.
According to reports at the time, the Heysen Tunnels for the South Eastern Freeway cost about $25 million.
Prof Newman, of Murdoch University, was instrumental in revolutionising Perth's public transport system in the 1990s and was brought to Adelaide last month by Onkaparinga Council to give his thoughts on the region's transport needs.
He also briefly met with Transport Department officials during his visit.
``They agreed they hadn't looked at this option. It really does make sense though,'' he said.
A key difference in Prof Newman's plan is extending the train line outside the land corridor preserved at Noarlunga Downs.
Prof Newman did not see this as a stumbling block: ``There's no extra cost, it's just a line on a map.''
The government's feasibility study into extending the train line is now seven months overdue.
A Transport Department spokesman confirmed earlier this month that the latest delay was so Prof Newman's ideas could be considered.
So like I said on ssc how on earth is a tunnel expected to cost less than a bridge???
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#74 Post by AtD » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:36 pm

First rail tunnel in Adelaide? Uh, no. The hills line has at least half a dozen.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#75 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:56 pm

A Transport Department spokesman confirmed earlier this month that the latest delay was so Prof Newman's ideas could be considered.
That sounds a bit suspicious... maybe they don't want to do it at all.