News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#3871 Post by SBD » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Nowlistencarefully wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:09 pm
Will news of potential Roseworthy/St Yves urban development mean a Gawler (spur line) train extension? Surely this should be part and parcel of any such project - given there is already a defunct rail line to Roseworthy.
The discussion on the radio this morning included mention of railway service. I note that at present, only every second train (between 7am and 6 pm) to Gawler continues to Gawler Central. That means that conceptually the ones that currently terminate at Gawler could continue to Roseworthy without reducing the service frequency to Gawler Central. Shuttle services would be required on one branch or the other for early, late and weekends.

ChillyPhilly

#3872 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Will news of potential Roseworthy/St Yves urban development mean a Gawler (spur line) train extension? Surely this should be part and parcel of any such project - given there is already a defunct rail line to Roseworthy.
The development is gross, but if it does go ahead, then fingers crossed this happens.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#3873 Post by Nort » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 am

It should but it looks like they are doing their best to pretend the rail line doesn't exist, with it shunted off to the side of the development. If they built the town center around the train line this could actually be semi-decent as suburban sprawl goes, but as it is a very poorly designed development.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#3874 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 am

Nort wrote:
It should but it looks like they are doing their best to pretend the rail line doesn't exist, with it shunted off to the side of the development. If they built the town center around the train line this could actually be semi-decent as suburban sprawl goes, but as it is a very poorly designed development.
I expect that this development will just lead to more single occupant car journeys on Main North road in both morning and afternoon peak periods
:(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

SBD

#3875 Post by SBD » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 am

Kasey771 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 am
Nort wrote:
I expect that this development will just lead to more single occupant car journeys on Main North road in both morning and afternoon peak periods
I'd expect most riving commuters would not use Main North Road south of Gawler. If they work in the Edinburgh area they'd use Northern Expressway+Womma Road or Waterloo Corner Road; Port Adelaide/Osborne would use NExy+Northern Connector+PRExy; Adelaide CBD would use NExy, NC, North-South Motorway and Port Road.

I agree that extending the Gawler-terminating services to Roseworthy with a St Yves stop looks like a good idea, especially as Trinity College students already use the station at Tambelin to access the Evanston South campuses.

Possible stops for a new service would be Roseworthy (ideally with park-n-ride), St Yves (Trinity College), Redbanks Road, Gawler Belt (Xavier College), somewhere near the Gawler bypass to serve Reid, Willaston and possibly Ward Belt.

Further thought bubble would be to extend the Gawler Central services to new stations at Concordia and Kalbeeba so that both branches out of Gawler are about the same length to simplify timetabling.

Nort

#3876 Post by Nort » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:24 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 am
Kasey771 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:02 am
Nort wrote:
I'd expect most riving commuters would not use Main North Road south of Gawler. If they work in the Edinburgh area they'd use Northern Expressway+Womma Road or Waterloo Corner Road; Port Adelaide/Osborne would use NExy+Northern Connector+PRExy; Adelaide CBD would use NExy, NC, North-South Motorway and Port Road.

I agree that extending the Gawler-terminating services to Roseworthy with a St Yves stop looks like a good idea, especially as Trinity College students already use the station at Tambelin to access the Evanston South campuses.

Possible stops for a new service would be Roseworthy (ideally with park-n-ride), St Yves (Trinity College), Redbanks Road, Gawler Belt (Xavier College), somewhere near the Gawler bypass to serve Reid, Willaston and possibly Ward Belt.

Further thought bubble would be to extend the Gawler Central services to new stations at Concordia and Kalbeeba so that both branches out of Gawler are about the same length to simplify timetabling.
Exactly.

And if people complain it would cost too much then that should be part of pointing out why endlessly spreading suburbia isn't the best long term solution.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3877 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:53 pm

If anyone asks where the money will come from to pay for this, the answer is Genesee & Wyoming. They are supposed to be maintaining this line, along with most of the other dormant broad gauge lines.

With the electrification of the Gawler line, that will leave plenty of 3000 class railcars for these lines.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#3878 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm

They gotta get trains back to the Barossa Valley
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

EBG

#3879 Post by EBG » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 pm

I agree with OlympusAnt about getting trains back to the Barossa Valley.
If the Barossa Valley was in NSW or Victoria they would a train every 1/2 hour.

SBD

#3880 Post by SBD » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 pm

EBG wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 pm
I agree with OlympusAnt about getting trains back to the Barossa Valley.
If the Barossa Valley was in NSW or Victoria they would a train every 1/2 hour.
I call BS. Other states are no better than ours for running uneconomic public transport in places where not many people want to go.

Melbourne has the Yarra Valley a similar distance out of town to the Barossa Valley from Adelaide. How often does the train from Melbourne arrive at Healesville? Neither Google Maps nor WIkipedia seem to think it happens very often since the 1980s. They both suggest I should catch a metro train to Lilydale (perhaps a bit like Gawler Central) then use a bus that runs maybe once an hour for the rest of the journey.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#3881 Post by TorrensSA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 pm

People in Melbourne are currently having the same discussion about extending the train to the Yarra Valley (Healesville) from Lilydale - https://www.railpage.com.au/f-t11397295.htm

rubberman

#3882 Post by rubberman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm

The original time frame for the re-opening of the line to Port Dock was to have it completed in 2019.

Has anyone got an update on this?

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3883 Post by PD2/20 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:17 pm

rubberman wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:21 pm
The original time frame for the re-opening of the line to Port Dock was to have it completed in 2019.

Has anyone got an update on this?
From the PTP Alliance website https://ptpa.com.au/projects/port-dock- ... ne-station
Project status

The Port Dock Railway project is currently in the design stage. Early investigations, survey, design work and stakeholder engagement have started. The construction schedule is currently being developed and will be finalised once detailed designs have been completed.

EBG

#3884 Post by EBG » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:19 pm

It was announced 2 years ago and should have been finished last year .
The track and formation is still there. I t is just a matter of repair/rebuild. There is no need for "public engagement".
How long does it take to build 1K of train line !!!

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3885 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:47 am

EBG wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:19 pm
It was announced 2 years ago and should have been finished last year .
The track and formation is still there. I t is just a matter of repair/rebuild. There is no need for "public engagement".
How long does it take to build 1K of train line !!!
Project announced Jun 2017, contract awarded to PTP Jan 2018. The project has implications for National Rail Museum. Apart from the track/station construction, there are signalling considerations and rolling stock provision. The transfer of the signalling centre to Dry Creek to permit SAHMRI 2 constuction has probably been a priority in recent months, as well as the Oaklands project. Finding units to cover Port Dock in the PM peak will be a challenge as the diesel railcar fleet is currently well utilised.

However a year on from the virtual completion of the Torrens Jn and T2T works, there are still a couple of outstanding issues. None of the automated pedestrian gates been commisioned and crossings at Croydon, West St and War Memorial Drive remain closed to pedestrians. Also the new connection from Torrens Bridge into the west end of the Adelaide railcar sidings is not yet operational. Time moves slowly in Adelaide!