News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4156 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:38 pm

English Electric wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:29 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:31 pm
What I'm curious about is how the project will deal with the freight line (alongside the Gawler line all the way to Salisbury).
They seemed to manage to electrify the section of the Seaford line directly adjacent to the standard gauge around Gaol Loop/ Mile End and Keswick/Goodwood areas without too many dramas.

Are you thinking that the standard gauge north of Islington has more 24/7 freight movements making electrification activities potentially more dangerous?
At least in the Seaford case, the South line usually had most of its freight passing early morning or late evening and nothing much moving during daylight.

Regarding clearance for double-stack trains, the project probably won't be able to use any portal supports spanning the ARTC line (like they already have around Mile End) anywhere that's north of Islington Yard. But these are probably rarely needed since the Gawler line is mostly simple double-track, except around Dry Creek where there's plenty of "elbow room" for the broad gauge.

South of Islington, if there are any tight locations where portal spans are needed (e.g. Hawker St or Torrens bridge/Wye Cabin areas) no reason these couldn't go across the ARTC line there. Existing 25kV & lots of historic structures already prevent double-stack freight between Adelaide and Melbourne.

Maybe where there's limited lateral clearance between ARTC and Gawler tracks there'll be a lot of Twin Track Cantilevers, with the bases on the eastern side. Or concrete masts installed between the two broad gauge tracks, like they have between Clarence Park and Emerson.
The Seaford line also has no freight line past Goodwood Station (or to be specific, the Goodwood underpass). The ARTC track along the Gawler line is very close to the metropolitan line at times. In an ideal world, it would be relocated to the Northern Connector corridor.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#4157 Post by Furyan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:33 pm

As reported on 9 News Adelaide on Monday :
Work has finally began on the $615M Gawler Rail Line electrification after more than a decade from first being announced.

The Premier and Transport Minister turned the first sod at Prospect.

Work to be complete some time in 2021

SBD

#4158 Post by SBD » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:52 pm

Furyan wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:33 pm
Work has finally began on the $615M Gawler Rail Line electrification after more than a decade from first being announced.

Is Steven Marshall the first premier to turn a sod for this project?

ChillyPhilly

#4159 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:04 am

SBD wrote:
Furyan wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:33 pm

Is Steven Marshall the first premier to turn a sod for this project?
Technically yes, I believe.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#4160 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:42 pm

https://www.miragenews.com/full-steam-a ... -services/

“The State Government will today release an Expression of Interest (EOI) for the operation of Adelaide Metro train services, to deliver better and more customer focussed services.

The focus of the procurement process will be to deliver better and more customer-focussed services that will grow patronage and enable:

- Improved integration of train services with other public transport modes;
- More frequent and faster services;
- Innovative and accessible service delivery (responsive to changes in the social and technological environment and accessible to the mobility challenged).”

I wonder what changes a private operator would actually make to the train service in order to deliver these requirements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBD

#4161 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:05 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:42 pm

“The State Government will today release an Expression of Interest (EOI) for the operation of Adelaide Metro train services, to deliver better and more customer focussed services.

The focus of the procurement process will be to deliver better and more customer-focussed services that will grow patronage and enable:

- Innovative and accessible service delivery (responsive to changes in the social and technological environment and accessible to the mobility challenged).”

I wonder what changes a private operator would actually make to the train service in order to deliver these requirements?

• The government installed a storage/turn around extra track at Elizabeth a few years ago, but as far as I know, it has never been used.
  • Gradual introduction of more electric rolling stock for the Gawler line might enable a limited diesel service further east or north
  • I'm not sure who owns/has access to ticket data to enable tweaking of bus routes or times to better link the services people want to use
  • Better apps than the government has provided
  • charging points and wifi on trains
  • Who knows what hasn't been invented yet that could be adopted - perhaps some kind of passenger traffic management for peak times

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4162 Post by Eurostar » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:05 pm
AndyWelsh wrote:

• The government installed a storage/turn around extra track at Elizabeth a few years ago, but as far as I know, it has never been used.
  • Gradual introduction of more electric rolling stock for the Gawler line might enable a limited diesel service further east or north
  • I'm not sure who owns/has access to ticket data to enable tweaking of bus routes or times to better link the services people want to use
  • Who knows what hasn't been invented yet that could be adopted - perhaps some kind of passenger traffic management for peak times
I bet the turnback at Elizabeth will be forgotten or not in the current project.

I bet there will be shorter consists to meet the demands of more frequent train services.

SBD

#4163 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 pm
SBD wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:05 pm
AndyWelsh wrote:

I bet the turnback at Elizabeth will be forgotten or not in the current project.

I bet there will be shorter consists to meet the demands of more frequent train services.
Presumably the turnback needs to either be cabled or removed when the electric wires come through. It may be interesting to see which.

The electric trains are bought in fixed three-car sets. That seems to be the length that most Gawler services I see are at present anyway.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4164 Post by Eurostar » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 am

Wouldn't mind seeing a different stopping pattern trialed on the Gawler Line.

1) Adelaide, express to Mawson Lakes, then all stops to Gawler Central. Adelaide, all stops to Mawson Lakes then Parafield, Salisbury, Elizabeth, Smithfield, Gawler.

ChillyPhilly

#4165 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:48 pm

Hopefully a three-car electric set is enough to address capacity issues that arise in morning and evening peaks before and after Mawson Lakes, which is easily the most heavily patronised station on the line. Most passengers can get a seat before there, but after, it is not possible.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#4166 Post by ginzahikari » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:53 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 am

1) Adelaide, express to Mawson Lakes, then all stops to Gawler Central. Adelaide, all stops to Mawson Lakes then Parafield, Salisbury, Elizabeth, Smithfield, Gawler.
Excuse my ignorance, but have they ever changed the stopping patterns on the Seaford Line after electrification?

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#4167 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:07 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Eurostar wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 am

Excuse my ignorance, but have they ever changed the stopping patterns on the Seaford Line after electrification?
In April last year they introduced a new Seaford Line timetable with more peak express and semi express. They also went to a service every 30 mins from the city in the evening instead of every 60 mins.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#4168 Post by kymbosa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:36 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:48 pm
Hopefully a three-car electric set is enough to address capacity issues that arise in morning and evening peaks before and after Mawson Lakes, which is easily the most heavily patronised station on the line. Most passengers can get a seat before there, but after, it is not possible.
I always laugh when I see this; head to London in which if you travelled from the otter suburbs into the centre of town, which could take over 20mins, you’ll be lucky to get a seat.

At most you stand for 20mins, it’s a service that makes sure you get to town, it never says you’ll always get a seat.

claybro

#4169 Post by claybro » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 pm

kymbosa wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:36 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:48 pm
I always laugh when I see this; head to London in which if you travelled from the otter suburbs into the centre of town, which could take over 20mins, you’ll be lucky to get a seat.

At most you stand for 20mins, it’s a service that makes sure you get to town, it never says you’ll always get a seat.
London?! Even in Perth it is rare to get a seat on the train during peak. Once again, you can stand for 30 odd minutes on the train, or crawl along the exact same route on the freeway in your car for up to an hour, then pay exorbitant carparking at the city end.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4170 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:57 am

AndyWelsh wrote:

The union should put in a bid. Cut out the middleman.