News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4066 Post by SBD » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:59 pm

muzzamo wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:54 pm
I heard on the news tonight that Bombadier has been awarded the contract for 12x3 carriage electric trains for use on the Gawler line.

There are 22 in the existing order for the Seaford line. Presumably they have too many for that line and some of the excess would be redployed to Gawler as I would expect it would need more overall capacity?
Seaford line includes Tonsley/Flinders. The DPTI project pages says the scope is “up to 15” sets. I guess they now have real data for reliability that would have been partly guesses to start with.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#4067 Post by Joelmark » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:27 pm

DPTI have published an update on the Gawler line electrification project on their Facebook page. In short, the early works on the project are continuing with service relocations now reaching the northern end of the line at Salisbury, Elizabeth South, Broadmeadows, and Gawler. Also, I believe the construction of new electrical substation at Kilburn is well underway. See DPTI's FB page for more details.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4068 Post by Spotto » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:23 pm

From The Advertiser:
Historic bridge facing demolition for electrification of Adelaide to Gawler railway line

A 100-year-old bridge is facing demolition because it is too low for the $615 million electrification of the Adelaide-Gawler railway line.

The King St bridge sits right at the end of the line, about 100m south of the Gawler railway station.

Built in the 1920s, the stone arched bridge will be unable to accommodate electric-powered locomotives and carriages.

The trains have metallic arms called pantographs connecting them to overhead power lines.

The Department of Transport, Planning and Infrastructure (DPTI) has told Gawler Council it wants to demolish the bridge and replace it with a footbridge for cyclists and pedestrians.

It has conducted extensive analysis of the impact of the bridge’s demolition on local traffic flows, including response times from the nearby Gawler Police Station.

According to a study for DPTI by engineering company Tonkin Consulting, the bridge’s removal “will have little impact on delay times and queue lengths in the wider road network”.

Tonkin said one option was replacing the bridge with a smaller footbridge for pedestrians and cyclists “that would accommodate future electrification infrastructure”.

“The electrification of the Gawler rail line will deliver faster, safer and more reliable rail services to Gawler,” says its report.

“The loss of the bridge and subsequent diversion of traffic should be viewed within the wider strategic context of significant public transport improvements benefiting many residents of the Town of Gawler.”

Nearby residents and businesses, however, want the railway track to be lowered to allow electric trains to pass under the bridge.

King St funeral director Mark Forgie said while the cost may be prohibitive, the bridge was part of Gawler’s rich history.

“This used to be the main exit of Gawler to the north, it was curved so drays could make it around the corner,” he said.

“The bridge was built about 100 years ago and it’s not high enough for the electric structure on top of trains.

“People are running around saving walls all around the town. This is probably a bigger heritage feature than any of those put together.”

Mr Forgie said the demolition of the bridge was first discussed several years ago but had resurfaced with confirmation the railway line would be electrified from Salisbury to Gawler.

“They (council and government) all want this electric line so the bridge is putting them between a rock and a hard place,” he said.

ChillyPhilly

#4069 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:31 pm

Correction for The Advertiser: it's nowhere near Gawler station, let alone to the south. It is, in fact, 100m west of Gawler Central station.

Here are two snaps from atop the King Street Bridge.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#4070 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:37 pm

Thanks for the pics. But really. Is that concrete structure what all the fuss is about?! They made sound like some beautiful old stone bridge.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4071 Post by Spotto » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:52 pm

The bridge should definitely be replaced with something as it’s useful for traffic, but I don’t see what the fuss is about for the actual bridge itself.

A Bowden-style underpass that includes Howard Street as well as King Street with a lowered Gawler Central station would be the way to go. Finish the cutting just before Murray Street as it’s not needed to go further yet, but it leaves the option to continue the underpass further if future extensions materialise (see Seaford station).

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4072 Post by Eurostar » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:39 am

Spotto wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:52 pm
The bridge should definitely be replaced with something as it’s useful for traffic, but I don’t see what the fuss is about for the actual bridge itself.

A Bowden-style underpass that includes Howard Street as well as King Street with a lowered Gawler Central station would be the way to go. Finish the cutting just before Murray Street as it’s not needed to go further yet, but it leaves the option to continue the underpass further if future extensions materialise (see Seaford station).
I will like to see Gawler Central Station have a platform on the south side and a plaza in the current shopping centre carpark (by the station)
Attachments
IMG_20190703_093745.png
Platform and Station Plaza

ChillyPhilly

#4073 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:42 am

A station plaza there would be great. Coles owns that carpark though.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#4074 Post by kymbosa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 pm

I keep hearing that three stations are or could be on the chopping board on the Seaford line. Has anyone else heard this information and which ones?

Patrick_27

#4075 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 am

kymbosa wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 pm
I keep hearing that three stations are or could be on the chopping board on the Seaford line. Has anyone else heard this information and which ones?
FFS, why? What is it with the Libs are butchering everything they get their hands on, Seaford doesn't need station closures, they need more frequent services and better station.

Waewick

#4076 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:52 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
kymbosa wrote:
FFS, why? What is it with the Libs are butchering everything they get their hands on, Seaford doesn't need station closures, they need more frequent services and better station.
I'm assuming you haven't heard then?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#4077 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:24 am

kymbosa wrote:
It seems fairly evident that one of Hove, Brighton and Warradale will go with the Brighton overpass.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#4078 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:24 am

kymbosa wrote:
It seems fairly evident that one of Hove, Brighton and Warradale will go with the Brighton overpass. Warradale is only 540m from Oaklands which is a bit ridiculous.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4079 Post by Spotto » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:32 am

muzzamo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:24 am
kymbosa wrote:
It seems fairly evident that one of Hove, Brighton and Warradale will go with the Brighton overpass.
It's gotta be Warradale. Keep Hove for connectivity with Brighton Road, and the might as well continue the cutting to grade separate Brighton station too and relocate closer to Jetty Road for easier beach and cafe precinct access.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#4080 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:37 am

Could brighton station also be removed, leaving one new mega "brighton" station to replace Brighton, Hove and Warradale, situated under or over brighton road.