[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#811 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:20 pm

You think Bolivar will be an issue? You wait and see the bank up at the Regency Rd intersection once the traffic can come from Gawler without stopping. Its already bad enough.

The worst intersection in the state is just going to get even worse.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#812 Post by SBD » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:54 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:20 pm
You think Bolivar will be an issue? You wait and see the bank up at the Regency Rd intersection once the traffic can come from Gawler without stopping. Its already bad enough.

No matter what gets fixed, there will always be a worst intersection. That one will be fixed in three years or so then we will have a new worst one to complain about - perhaps Sir Donald Bradman Drive and South Road. There's a surprising number of intersections getting upgraded at present or soon.

ChillyPhilly

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#813 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:51 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:You think Bolivar will be an issue? You wait and see the bank up at the Regency Rd intersection once the traffic can come from Gawler without stopping. Its already bad enough.

Welcome to the concept of induced demand.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#814 Post by how good is he » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:37 pm

I think until the whole thing is finished it seems we will just move from one bottle neck to the next. I’d say 7-8 more years, maybe 2026-2027 to complete it all?

SBD

#815 Post by SBD » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:14 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:37 pm
I think until the whole thing is finished it seems we will just move from one bottle neck to the next. I’d say 7-8 more years, maybe 2026-2027 to complete it all?
T2T has saved over five minutes from journeys that include its length. I expect that NC will save more than that for journeys that currently use the Northern Expressway and South Road Superway. The Regency to Pym Street upgrade will still feed traffic to the Torrens exit until that gets extended, but there really shouldn't be a significant northbound bottleneck between the Torrens and Nuriootpa or Port Wakefield any more.

Someone else suggested they think the queue for the Bolivar exit might extend back on to the main carriageway, but I doubt that will be a regular experience. Someone mentioned that only one lane off the Superway towards Port Adelaide presently blocks up. I guess that might still be possible even once the roadworks reduced speed limits are lifted.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#816 Post by Goodsy » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:20 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:

I don't think much of the NC traffic will actually make it that far south. I think a lot of it will be turning west onto the PRexy.

A simple traffic management solution the government could implement is funding a northern entrance to the Rail Terminal.

SBD

#817 Post by SBD » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:16 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:20 pm
OlympusAnt wrote:

I don't think much of the NC traffic will actually make it that far south. I think a lot of it will be turning west onto the PRexy.

A simple traffic management solution the government could implement is funding a northern entrance to the Rail Terminal.
I expect that almost all of the traffic that will initially be coming from the NC is already reaching the Southern Interchange from Salisbury Highway now. Therefore the mix of southbound and westbound turns from the NC will be a bit like the mix now from Salisbury Highway (except that a lot of the traffic that crosses Port Wakefield Road on Salisbury Highway will still be coming from that way).

ChillyPhilly

#818 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:09 pm

On the topic of local traffic flows following opening of the NC, there's this idea. It would have formed a kind of ring road connecting Adelaide's north with the eastern suburbs.

Down the bottom is the idea of following the MATS Plan's Dry Creek Expressway corridor, by connecting the Salisbury Highway to Montague Road.

SBD

#819 Post by SBD » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:08 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:09 pm
On the topic of local traffic flows following opening of the NC, there's this idea. It would have formed a kind of ring road connecting Adelaide's north with the eastern suburbs.

Down the bottom is the idea of following the MATS Plan's Dry Creek Expressway corridor, by connecting the Salisbury Highway to Montague Road.

Was the Salisbury Highway extension from Port Wakefield Road to South Road in the MATS plan, or has that effectively replaced the Montague Road to South Road line at the bottom of your picture?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#820 Post by Goodsy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:12 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:08 pm
Was the Salisbury Highway extension from Port Wakefield Road to South Road in the MATS plan, or has that effectively replaced the Montague Road to South Road line at the bottom of your picture?
Dry Creek Expressway is PRexy > Salisbury Highway > Montague

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#821 Post by Eurostar » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:35 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:09 pm

If you look at 1940 street map, Magazine Road (Dry Creek) was known as St Kilda Road. The Northern Connector is kinda parallel and there is a onramp/offramp now at St Kilda Road.

ChillyPhilly

#822 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:25 pm

In the MATS Plan, the proposed North-South Freeway would have joined the Dry Creek Expressway where Magazine Road now intersects with Salisbury Highway.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#823 Post by rev » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 am

With bits of MATS basically built in some form or another, most of the rest should be built in some form or another as well.
A second motorway/freeway running north/north east should be built, as the northern suburbs will be where most of our new population growth will happen and it's too wide of an area. Finishing the PREXY eastward should happen then too. Continuing the South Eastern Freeway up Portrush and linking it with the NSM & second northern motorway. And of course doing the south eastern freeway connection to the NSM as proposed by the transport industry as well.
They should try and include trains within them as well if possible. Still a shame that the train component all be it freight trains didn't go ahead for the Northern Connector. A bit of thinking from government and we could have had a second northern passenger line as well which would have captured a lot of areas that are destined to become housing.
Could even turn the Obahn into a train line, tunnel the rest of it's passage through Hackney road, and continue the city side of the tunnel under Grenfell street to meet up with a tunnel running under King William street,

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#824 Post by Hooligan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:16 am

Extending the Port River Expressway to connect with Montugue road (with an upgrade to the Montugue and Main North Road intersection) should be enough to funnel traffic from the northeast off main north road and northeast road away from the city.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#825 Post by Mr Smith » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:35 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 am
With bits of MATS basically built in some form or another, most of the rest should be built in some form or another as well.
A second motorway/freeway running north/north east should be built, as the northern suburbs will be where most of our new population growth will happen and it's too wide of an area. Finishing the PREXY eastward should happen then too. Continuing the South Eastern Freeway up Portrush and linking it with the NSM & second northern motorway. And of course doing the south eastern freeway connection to the NSM as proposed by the transport industry as well.
They should try and include trains within them as well if possible. Still a shame that the train component all be it freight trains didn't go ahead for the Northern Connector. A bit of thinking from government and we could have had a second northern passenger line as well which would have captured a lot of areas that are destined to become housing.
Could even turn the Obahn into a train line, tunnel the rest of it's passage through Hackney road, and continue the city side of the tunnel under Grenfell street to meet up with a tunnel running under King William street,
Agree 100%.