[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
drsmith
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#631 Post by drsmith » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm

The big tease on the publication of the current design continues.

Interchange maps will be published early 2018 according to an update on the DPTI project page.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#632 Post by mawsonguy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 pm

The Northern Connector needs a lot of dirt which is coming from T2T and the O-Bahn tunnel. The December newsletter for the T2T says that 83% of the trench has been excavated. Obviously, the O-Bahn tunnel has been completely excavated. But, at the moment, the road bed across the salt pans only goes half way and we need a lot more dirt at the interchanges. Even allowing for the stockpile near the Bolivar sewage works, I wonder if there is enough dirt to finish the project. If not, where is the extra going to come from?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#633 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 pm

mawsonguy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 pm
The Northern Connector needs a lot of dirt which is coming from T2T and the O-Bahn tunnel. The December newsletter for the T2T says that 83% of the trench has been excavated. Obviously, the O-Bahn tunnel has been completely excavated. But, at the moment, the road bed across the salt pans only goes half way and we need a lot more dirt at the interchanges. Even allowing for the stockpile near the Bolivar sewage works, I wonder if there is enough dirt to finish the project. If not, where is the extra going to come from?
I'm sure they know what they're doing... Do you seriously think they just started excavating the roadway and now suddenly they need to think about where the materials are going to come from?

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#634 Post by mawsonguy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 pm
I'm sure they know what they're doing... Do you seriously think they just started excavating the roadway and now suddenly they need to think about where the materials are going to come from?
I'm sure they have a plan but I also know that they were not certain how much subsidence they would get on the roadway across the saltpans. I would hope that their plan included a contingency in case subsidnece was greater than forecast. I would also be surprised if the amount of dirt they needed just happened to exactly match the amount they were digging out of T2T and the O-Bahn tunnel.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#635 Post by Mr Messy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:55 pm

Remember that they still need to dig out darlington

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#636 Post by mawsonguy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Mr Messy wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:55 pm
Remember that they still need to dig out darlington
That's a long way to cart dirt for the NC.

The concept plans for the Dry Creek salt pans development showed lakes being excavated (see below). It would make more sense to take any shortfall from those areas.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#637 Post by rev » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:58 am

Forget housing, that should be turned into a new industrial area, with the aim of centralizing the majority of industrial sites scattered across the west/north westand turning those areas into housing. Areas such as Underdale around the river, beverly, thebarton, mile end south, royal park and even the stuff around the inner part of the harbor at Port Adelaide.
I mean whose gonna want to live next to the mangroves? The mosquito issue...its already bad enough at nearby Mawson Lakes...it'll be much worse there.
It's not like travel will be an issue to the salt pans...most of the areas I mentioned are on the north-south corridor route so will be linked directly, and the Port is linked by the PREXY to it..even that light industrial area at Pooraka is on the door step of the salt pans so wouldn't be that much further for employees.
I'm sure the government can create some incentives for land owners/business owners.

That, in the mid term would be a better outcome then continuing the sprawl(not that I'm against that).
But the state isn't flush with cash, and developers will expect some benefit if the government expects them to develop the infrastructure up north.
Create a new industrial zone, creating thousands of jobs to build within the metro footprint.
Old industrial sites then turned into housing developments, catering to demand, creating more or sustaining jobs in construction.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#638 Post by how good is he » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:09 am

While I hope I am wrong I can’t see much demand for industrial. Housing is the safest bet and higher sqm rate for the developers. There is also the potential for even higher return/a better use by creating waterfront canals/allotments aka Salt Lake City. You are right it’s near the Prexy etc and some 13km from the city and extends near Mawson Lakes.. so it’s a better alternative for a comparable price to say Buckland Pk etc..

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#639 Post by mawsonguy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 am

We appear to have gone off thread.

There is still plenty of vacant land and numerous unoccupied sites in the industrial corridor that stretches from Pooraka to Port Adelaide and up to Outer Harbour. There is also the underdeveloped industrial estate at Edinburgh. Adelaide does not need more industrial estates, what it needs is more industry.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#640 Post by mawsonguy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 pm

Google Earth aerial photographs from 22 December 2017.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#641 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:25 am

Basic update from observations of the southern interchange:

- Earthworks continue and are now starting to form recognisable shapes and paths of ramps.
- The existing bridge over PRExy is undergoing the beginning of demolition. The western side is being dismantled where the northwards extension of the Motorway will be located.
- Pylons to support this northwards extension are underway, with one row in place already and another row, closer to the PRExy roadway, currently being reinforced.
- The wetlands affected by ramp construction are slowly being drained over time.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#642 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Barriers now line virtually all of the southern PRExy carriageway between the Motorway and Hanson Road, where trees have also been removed.

ChillyPhilly

#643 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:43 am

As Mr Messy posted (viewtopic.php?p=164096#p164096) in the South Road/N-S Corridor thread, final designs for the interchanges along the Northern Connector are up.

Here they are rotated and cropped.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#644 Post by ralmin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:11 pm

I'm still waiting to see a detailed map of how the shared cycling pedestrian pathway will cross over or under the junction with Salisbury Hwy and Port River Expressway, to connect between South Road and the path that follows the Northern Connector.

At some point in the future I hope there is also an east-west pathway constructed, to get bikes off the Port River Expressway.

SBD

#645 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:29 pm

ralmin wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:11 pm
I'm still waiting to see a detailed map of how the shared cycling pedestrian pathway will cross over or under the junction with Salisbury Hwy and Port River Expressway, to connect between South Road and the path that follows the Northern Connector.

At some point in the future I hope there is also an east-west pathway constructed, to get bikes off the Port River Expressway.
The Cycle Instead website shows a path under Salisbury Highway in one of the drains just to the west of the Barker Inlet Wetlands parking bay. I don't know whether that is accessible at al tides to become the main route if it got sealed paths connected.