[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Punishment466
High Rise Poster!

[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

#1 Post by Punishment466 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:57 pm

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

THE State Government plans to build a $1 billion road and rail project in Adelaide's northern suburbs, but will not make a final decision for at least two years.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon announced a Northern Connector project could run parallel to Port Wakefield Rd on the western side in a bid to ease traffic congestion and allow for increased freight.

It would include a new 14km stretch of road and a relocation of the freight rail line which currently runs through the northern suburbs.

Mr Conlon said about 100 properties could be compulsorily acquired to make way for the transport project.

"What you see is not a committed project, the reason we are announcing today this study is because we don't want to scare people and we don't want to surprise people so we have been out doorknocking people who might be affected by this in the future," he said.

"South Australia is set for very exciting times but we must take full advantage of the opportunities that are presenting themselves in the mining and defence industries by investing in projects of this scope.

"We'll glean much more from a completed planning study but the benefits of combining road and rail transport into a dedicated corridor are tremendous."

Mr Conlon ruled out using tolls to fund the roads but said the economic benefits of the road would ensure the road paid for itself.

"This is a vision for a very effective freight management in South Australia," he said.

"It may not be as sexy as a football stadium, but what it does do is grow the wealth of the state and we believe that is a very good thing because you can't have football grounds unless you have something to pay for them.

"These roads are not extravagant, they pay for themselves."

Shuz
Banned
Banned

[COM] Re: 'Northern Connector'

#2 Post by Shuz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:01 pm

I dont get why they just dont coincide this with the Northern Expressway project? At least it'll be good to have a decent freeway from Gawler to Port Adelaide now though.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#3 Post by Cruise » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:05 pm

Punishment466 wrote:
THE State Government plans to build a $1 billion road and rail project in Adelaide's northern suburbs, but will not make a final decision for at least two years.
maybe I'm being cynical, but i guess its just coincidence we have an election in 2010....

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Well Shuz I guess the answer there is money! $1 billion ain't cheap. Plus they haven't even finalised the planning etc yet. The Northern Expressway is starting now.

This explains why they didn't want to connect the Northern Expressway to Port Wakefield Road properly and why the upgrade of Port Wakefield Road is fairly basic, because they want to create a whole new road/rail corridor and go right over Port Wakefield.

The plan seems to have merit but I wonder if they could have used some existing infrastructure to reduce the cost. $1 billion is a heap of money. We need a public train system upgrade that could cost a similar amount but roads really are the priority for this State Government.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:01 pm

The $1b includes the $550m from the Northern Expressway I believe, and possibly the Port River Expressway as well.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:09 pm

This would link in well to creating a North-South Freeway, think about it:
Sturt Highway -> Northern Expressway -> Northern Connector -> Salisbury Highway -> South Freeway (Replacing South Road) -> Southern Expressway (Duplicated) (-> Victor Harbor Freeway (Replacing VHR))

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Cruise » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:35 pm

maybe the rail line could then be extended to buckland park :wink:

besides that watch the video it will show the route.

Dont forget under Rudds Eastlink program we are also getting $500 million on south road. a non-stop link from Regency road to to Gawler in around 6 years sounds promising!!! :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:40 pm

Hey, it is a first step towards a more efficient road network. I'm sick of people who go "Nothing's being done on South Road... we want a freeway NOW!" because it's not feasible or efficient. We can't simply close down the entire South Road vicinity and spend billions we don't have. It's a slow process, but it's being done. Get real, people. Including you, MHS.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#9 Post by Shuz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:41 pm

Cruise wrote:maybe the rail line could then be extended to buckland park :wink:

besides that watch the video it will show the route.

Dont forget under Rudds Eastlink program we are also getting $500 million on south road. a non-stop link from Regency road to to Gawler in around 6 years sounds promising!!! :)
We are?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#10 Post by rhino » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Looks like the Government is starting to get the idea - they're releasing a little bit of their "Vision for South Australia's Transport Network" - I knew they had one! :D
cheers,
Rhino

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by AG » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:23 pm

I need some visuals to understand how the route will fit into the greater scheme of things before I can say much about it. Therefore I reserve my judgement.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:07 pm

"It may not be as sexy as a football stadium, but what it does do is grow the wealth of the state and we believe that is a very good thing because you can't have football grounds unless you have something to pay for them.

"These roads are not extravagant, they pay for themselves."
Very true.

Just saw a report on this on 7news, looks very nice and very similar to what is been built in WA - railway line in the middle of the freeway, which could be extended to the new township at Buckland Park. I think MHS comments that this plan is 'pie in the sky' stuff, very hypocritical especially when he proposing projects left right and centre.
Last edited by crawf on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by Norman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:15 pm

crawf wrote:Just saw a report on this on 7news, looks very nice and very similar to what is been built in WA (like a railway line in the middle of the freeway). I think MHS comments that this 'pie in the sky' very hypocritical especially when he proposing projects left right and centre.
Exactly... he promises the world to us, but when there's some smart spending in line, he resents it.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AtD » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:23 pm

I would hazard a guess that the main idea of this project is to get rail freight out of the hills, in part to shut the NIMBYs out there up. It'd keep Outer Harbor bound trains out of the suburbs.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by Brando » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:25 pm

Video presentation here for those interested.

http://publish.vx.roo.com/adelaidenow/v ... Format=wmp