[U/C] Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 93 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#901 Post by SBD » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:49 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:40 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:22 am


I didn't think he mentioned an open day in the report, but he did mention it should open in February 2020.

Peak hour traffic is pretty much non-existant around that area over Christmas/New Year, and traffic around that area is generally lighter in January as well. Hopefully by the time traffic is back to the car park levels you get at the moment the road is all but ready to open.
Any closure of the northbound PWR->NExy ramp before the whole northbound NC opens needs to be done at the quietest possible time to manage traffic on any diversion detours such as Heaslip Road or Angle Vale Road.

Road trains are generally not permitted to travel northbound on Heaslip Road between Waterloo Corner Road and Penfield Road. I don't know if the restriction is for traffic management, sight lines or road widths. They do now travel up the Northern Expressway and the nearest general detour on RAVNet would be via Port Wakefield, Balaklava and Mallala. That's a long detour to get to the Barossa or Riverland!
The week between Christmas-New Year would be the ideal time for that, but that'll be during the site shutdown over that period.

Next best option would be the first week back from break.
I imagine that site shutdown may be negotiable (for appropriate compensation). Nobody here has admitted to any inside knowledge of detailed timelines or sequencing. I imagine that northbound will open before southbound, but cannot guess if that is by hours, days or weeks, nor if it will be staged.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 93 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#902 Post by SBD » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:33 pm

We travelled up Port Wakefield Road after dark tonight, and detoured over the Waterloo Corner Road bridge. The street lights are lit on the Northern Connector around the Waterloo Corner interchange as well as over the northbound carriageway (or perhaps the off ramp to PWR) near the northern interchange. The northbound off ramp to Waterloo Corner Road was blocked off at both ends, but the others only blocked at the Waterloo Corner Road end.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 961
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 164 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#903 Post by Goodsy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:00 pm

SA Water now has access to the Bolivar treatment plant via the Bolivar road overpass. Line marking is underway on the new northbound PWR bridge at the northern interchange

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 961
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 164 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#904 Post by Goodsy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 pm

double post, but northbound Port Wakefield Road has now switched onto the new bridge at the northern interchange

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5748
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 1455 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#905 Post by Norman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:50 pm

The South Road Superway will close from 2-13 January to install new signage and resurfacing works at the Southern Interchange.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 4 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#906 Post by TrebleSketch » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:55 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 pm
double post, but northbound Port Wakefield Road has now switched onto the new bridge at the northern interchange
Is anyone able to take some ground photos of the progress so far? How close is the construction to this? (without the "temporary" on-ramp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_00LpYgFHw&t=1m26s

Always wondered why they haven't considered adding an on-ramp from PWR to NC on the northern intersection. Especially as I'd imagine Waterloo Corner Rd might get quite busy o.o

I think this might've been asked earlier, but does anyone have a clue as to why they didn't have more through roads along the NC between the Northern Interchange and Waterloo Interchange?

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 93 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#907 Post by SBD » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:22 am

TrebleSketch wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:55 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 pm
double post, but northbound Port Wakefield Road has now switched onto the new bridge at the northern interchange
Is anyone able to take some ground photos of the progress so far? How close is the construction to this? (without the "temporary" on-ramp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_00LpYgFHw&t=1m26s

Always wondered why they haven't considered adding an on-ramp from PWR to NC on the northern intersection. Especially as I'd imagine Waterloo Corner Rd might get quite busy o.o

I think this might've been asked earlier, but does anyone have a clue as to why they didn't have more through roads along the NC between the Northern Interchange and Waterloo Interchange?
That looks exactly like what is being built. It does include southbound access from PWR to NC (over the bridge, keep right, under the northbound PWR). What is missing is northbound PWR to NExy, or even an obvious way to add it later if required.

The only bit I haven't noticed work on yet is the shared path passing under the southbound NExy to PWR ramp.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 4 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#908 Post by TrebleSketch » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:36 am

SBD wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:22 am
TrebleSketch wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:55 pm
Goodsy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:01 pm
double post, but northbound Port Wakefield Road has now switched onto the new bridge at the northern interchange
Is anyone able to take some ground photos of the progress so far? How close is the construction to this? (without the "temporary" on-ramp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_00LpYgFHw&t=1m26s

Always wondered why they haven't considered adding an on-ramp from PWR to NC on the northern intersection. Especially as I'd imagine Waterloo Corner Rd might get quite busy o.o

I think this might've been asked earlier, but does anyone have a clue as to why they didn't have more through roads along the NC between the Northern Interchange and Waterloo Interchange?
That looks exactly like what is being built. It does include southbound access from PWR to NC (over the bridge, keep right, under the northbound PWR). What is missing is northbound PWR to NExy, or even an obvious way to add it later if required.

The only bit I haven't noticed work on yet is the shared path passing under the southbound NExy to PWR ramp.
Ooooh, my bad! I was talking about PWR to NExy, since it would be a northbound lane into NExy. Not NC x3

So the southbound PWR to NC is now being constucted after the latest switch over?

There might be a feasible way to built the northbound PWR to NExy, but I'd imagine it'll be difficult as it'll be double height above everything else! With the shared bikeway, I think it'll be worked on last. Plus I really do hope that they will allow future provisions for it as it does look like they will have enough space between the north/south-bound of NExy to have a northbound lane to slip into NExy.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 492 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#909 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:43 am

A northbound PWR to NC isn't necessary - entry to the NC will be possible at two other exits to the south.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 93 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#910 Post by SBD » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:56 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:43 am
A northbound PWR to NC isn't necessary - entry to the NC will be possible at two other exits to the south.
I think the interesting question will be what the suitable route is for B-doubles and road trains from the Burton, Greenfields and Cavan areas to the Northern Expressway. I think the roundabout on Waterloo Corner Road might be too tight, but the entrance to the NC from Bolivar Road looks like a wide smooth curve. It's a little less obvious whether the left turn from northbound PWR to Bolivar Road extension is wide enough, but since the road seems to be quite wide, I think it may be possible if they use two lanes, anyway.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 93 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#911 Post by SBD » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:50 pm

The entire South Road Superway will be closed 2-13 January for work on the interchange between it and the Northern Connector.

https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... mbined.pdf

If they needed a shutdown for that long, it was always going to run into January at least - that couldn't have been done in November to keep to a December opening.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:55 pm
Been thanked: 15 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#912 Post by Mr Messy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:28 pm

Less traffic in January.


Hopefully they take this opportunity to increase the number of lanes on the superway just south of the grand junction road onramp up to 3

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 93 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#913 Post by SBD » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:11 am

Mr Messy wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:28 pm
Less traffic in January.


Hopefully they take this opportunity to increase the number of lanes on the superway just south of the grand junction road onramp up to 3
Agreed about the traffic.

There has been a previous conversation here somewhere about whether it is better to merge three lanes into two before an on-ramp and add an extra lane, or to merge four lanes into three soon after an on ramp. I don't think any of us came up with refereed studies to answer one way or the other.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 492 times
Contact:

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#914 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:42 am

On that topic, it seems that the southbound Northern Connector will narrow to one lane to connect with the existing Superway.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 am
Been thanked: 89 times

[U/C] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

#915 Post by mawsonguy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:27 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:42 am
On that topic, it seems that the southbound Northern Connector will narrow to one lane to connect with the existing Superway.
The latest photos (https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... nector.jpg), which accord with my own hurried observation while driving through the interchange, suggest that there will be 2 southbound lanes which are joined by one lane from the PREXY on ramp before continuing as 3 lanes across the bridge over the PREXY.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronjameslange, Google [Bot] and 4 guests