News & Discussion: Station Upgrades

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Keswick Terminal Upgrade

#1 Post by crawf » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:49 am

nothing big, but should improve this disgraceful terminal

$1.1m upgrade to begin
January 22, 2007 01:15am

A $1.1 MILLION upgrade of Adelaide's interstate rail terminal at Keswick will begin next month.

Keswick Rail Terminal owners Great Southern Rail will spend nearly $1 million on improvements including a new entrance, check-in facilities, retail outlets and refurbishing the terminal building.
The State Government will pay $150,000 for landscaping and signage.

GSR chief executive officer Tony Braxton Smith said the project should be completed in May.

Overseas tourists are still less than impressed with the terminal at Keswick.

Swedish tourists Marcus Borg, 21, and Caroline Johansson, 19, could not find their luggage after arriving in Adelaide on The Ghan last Friday.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

$1.1m upgrade to begin (Keswick Rail Terminal)

#2 Post by rogue » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:19 pm

$1.1m upgrade to begin

January 22, 2007 01:15am

A $1.1 MILLION upgrade of Adelaide's interstate rail terminal at Keswick will begin next month.

Keswick Rail Terminal owners Great Southern Rail will spend nearly $1 million on improvements including a new entrance, check-in facilities, retail outlets and refurbishing the terminal building.
The State Government will pay $150,000 for landscaping and signage.

GSR chief executive officer Tony Braxton Smith said the project should be completed in May.

Overseas tourists are still less than impressed with the terminal at Keswick.

Swedish tourists Marcus Borg, 21, and Caroline Johansson, 19, could not find their luggage after arriving in Adelaide on The Ghan last Friday.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Pistol » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:17 pm

What a bandaid solution. Instead of paying out these pathetic sums to cover up what is a horrible eyesore, why not just make the plunge and spend the monies required to extend the train into the central train station. That would be such a boost for this city and its' visitors.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by rogue » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:22 pm

Sorry. My bad.

Should have posted in transport / infrastructure.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by stelaras » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:30 pm

i wholeheartedly agree!

in every other country in the world ive been to, the country trains end/begin their run from the central station....why should we be any different!

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by Froggy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:11 am

About time, terminal is a disgrace.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Pants » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:13 am

Not going to get much for $1.1m.

They should focus on re-locating it to the city.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:40 pm

Pants wrote:Not going to get much for $1.1m.

They should focus on re-locating it to the city.
I think most of us would like this, but with the current configuration at North Terrace it would be physically impossible. You may have to spend a few million (maybe in the tens) to solve the issue. Will a future government do this?

Cheers

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by AG » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:38 pm

There's a few issues. The gauge issue is obviously one. The other issue is regarding capacity at Adelaide Station. Some of the GSR trains that come through Adelaide, in particular the Indian Pacific and the Ghan are so long that none of the existing platforms would fit one of these trains. Extending the platforms would require quite a lot of reworking of the tracks in and out of the station. Using two platforms would really limit the capacity for other suburban operations. And every time a GSR train arrives or departs at slow speed there would be disruptions to suburban operations.

At Sydney Terminal, they split the train into two and use two platforms. But they also have a middle track between the platforms to allow the locos to run around their train and for shunting. Something Adelaide Station doesn't have, and doesn't have room for.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by AtD » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:45 pm

Adelaide station had plenty of room, but now it has fewer platforms and car parks on either side. You'll have to ask an engineer if knocking them down and rebuilding the platforms would be cost effective without disturbing the Convention Centre above it.

The standard gauge line runs very close to the station anyway.

Ho Really

#11 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:37 am

There are several solutions for making room:

1. Relocate one or two suburban lines. This would be very awkward especially if they terminate way short of the Adelaide Station, maybe somewhere near the Skate Park or on the other side where there is a car park. An ugly solution.

2. Underground one or two suburban lines under the Skate Park and North Terrace right up to the present terminus. Would free up one whole platform. It would be an expensive solution.

This last solution could also form part of the undergrounding along North Terrace and conversion of the O-bahn to light rail.

Cheers

Will409
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Will409 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:45 am

It would be possible to bring interstate passenger trains into Adelaide but it will be at huge expense. The yard has to be converted to standard gauge first (and who knows, perhaps in 15 years or so, it will happen since we are inserting gauge convertable sleepers). The only platform I can see being capable of taking the Ghan/IP etc is platform 1 but it will have to be extended greatly. It would be possible though to put the extended platform alongside the foot of the hill infront of the skate park.

Even with that though, you will still need to alter the track layout and signalling in Adelaide yard for shunting operations.

Ho Really

#13 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:28 am

Will409 wrote:...The only platform I can see being capable of taking the Ghan/IP etc is platform 1 but it will have to be extended greatly. It would be possible though to put the extended platform alongside the foot of the hill infront of the skate park.

Even with that though, you will still need to alter the track layout and signalling in Adelaide yard for shunting operations.
It's an option, but what will happen if we expand our suburban rail network? We would need all the platforms (and more) at Adelaide Station. We all know that it was a mistake building the ASER (Hyatt, etc.) the way it was without keeping those extra platforms along North Terrace. A real pity, since Adelaide had the best railway station in Australia.

I think the best (and easiest) solution is to upgrade Keswick and revitalise the surrounding area with residential and commercial developments. The place needs to be more lively. Also they must add shuttle trains to and from Adelaide Station to fit in with The Ghan, Indian Pacific and The Overland timetables.

Cheers

alfer7_3
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by alfer7_3 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:33 am

I agree with you Ho Really that if the area was revitalised it would be a much better entrance to Adelaide by train. alot of disused warehouses and vacant land waiting for an urban renewal project. the area basically most of the land inside richmond road in the south, South road to the west, bunnings in the north and the railway lines and keswick station to the east has potential for medium density housing, commercial and office space would be excellent for attracting residents and workers to the area. this area could be connected to the Keswick station and made into some sort of tourist hub aswell. it would be great to see the interstate passenger trains go to Adelaide station however i think it would be so expensive and not viable enough for the government to seriously consider this unfortunately. Anyway that area around Mile End South needs revitalising, its prime innercity land being wasted. I think the keswick station should have better transport connection to the city though.

skyliner

#15 Post by skyliner » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:44 pm

After living in Brisbane and remembering the old Adelaide interstate facilities (13 track station with one VERY long platform - now 8 tracks), it seems to me that redeveloping Adelaide City station is the way to go.

Keswick is like a station that never grew up - little more that a big provincial city station. Very poor impression to travellers coming into Adelaide. There is room around and in Adelaide city station area but as said before, it will cost. $1.1 mill. will not change much at Keswick.

It seems to me that the state government is bent on eradicating rail all together. Look at what has happened over the years -
A. Contraction of the hills line back to Belair from Bridgewater.
B. Collapse of the system to Henley Beach via Grange.
C. Collapse of the Finley line.
D. Collapse of the Penfield line.
E. Removal of Pt Dock and associated facilities.
F. Adelaide station down to 8 tracks.
G. Collapse of the gasworks line near Woodville.
H. Great reduction of Glanville station to open windswept
platform only.
I. Loss of Islington railway workshops.
J. Impending loss of the junction curve near old Adelaide Jail.
K. No real moves to electrify - aging stock. Perth did it - so
can Adelaide.
L. Hardly any station buildings - just little bus stop shelters.
K. Now I hear also of the possibility of closing all the Port line
to heavy rail. Considering all the above, it's no wonder
patronage is down. I read of suburban coaching stiock
where no one can see outside at all.

NOTE - all this existed when Adelaide had only 500,000 people, not 1,140,000 according to latest ABS figures.

That's the big picture, but I am hoping for a real turnaround as eyes are opened - just like with Commissioner Webb in the 1920's. He nearly sent the state broke with radical, rapid and huge changes made in a short time. He was the one who had Adelaide station built, much of Mile end, a complete renewal of major locomotive power, extensions of the broad gauge, extensive new rolling stock. It has been done before - with the new wealth coming into the state via mines, it is possible again. Great vision, great things for a great city!! - and no Keswick.