PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Benski81
High Rise Poster!

Re: #U/C: Port Adelaide Tram Line

#1231 Post by Benski81 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:52 pm

shiftaling wrote:
Nort wrote:
how_good_is_he wrote:Why dont they create a road from Port Rd [opp. the gaol] through the old SA Water depot site to come out opp. Ice Arena - would help traffic flow.
The last plan I heard for that site was for it to be returned to parklands, I'm sure that proposing a road through it (regardless of the benefit) would not be met positively.
I realise this is off topic, just not that good at the thread management stuff - just thought I'd say that I live right near the former water depot, and you couldn't find a stronger advocate it being returned to parklands (IMBY please!), but if a road were beneficial to traffic flows it's possible that both could be built, as long as the road were not so wide as to take up too much of the site and it was right at the eastern side of the site, leaving the rest to be landscaped as a park.

On topic, very excited to see the trams coming down Port Road at last, I hope they push through with plans to extend it to Port Adelaide and Semaphore. I will definitely use the trams instead of buses or walking to get to the city as long as the frequency is good.
I agree, I live in the western suburbs (aka the slums apparently) and I'll definitely use the trams to commute to and from the city when/if they're extended as proposed.

Also completely off topic, shiftaling I love your profile picture. That scene from twin peaks is one of my favourite scenes in any TV show ever. Very cool.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1232 Post by Westside » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:12 pm

how_good_is_he wrote:Why dont they create a road from Port Rd [opp. the gaol] through the old SA Water depot site to come out opp. Ice Arena - would help traffic flow.
They have that. It is called Port Rd. :lol:

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1233 Post by Omicron » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Nathan wrote:
I hear Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook had big success with their monorails.
Best post of the thread.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#1234 Post by BillD » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:14 pm

More shots from the second day of testing:

Heading out from town

And back again

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1235 Post by Tonsley213 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks Bill for the photos.

jclark22
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1236 Post by jclark22 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 pm

just on the new trams they have added to the fleet for the extension will they in time be repainted with the adelaide metro colour scheme?

I know ppl are sayinhg the government havent due to them standing out however its starting to annoy me because i really like the state colour scheme on all of the buses, trains and trams

Nort

#1237 Post by Nort » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:57 pm

jclark22 wrote:just on the new trams they have added to the fleet for the extension will they in time be repainted with the adelaide metro colour scheme?

I know ppl are sayinhg the government havent due to them standing out however its starting to annoy me because i really like the state colour scheme on all of the buses, trains and trams
Seems to be a cost saving measure, they have some good paintwork on them at the moment so it would cost a lot of money to repaint them purely for aesthetic reasons. I have no doubt that as they require paint touchups over time they will be transferred to the standard colour scheme.

Nathan

#1238 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:41 am

jclark22 wrote:just on the new trams they have added to the fleet for the extension will they in time be repainted with the adelaide metro colour scheme?

I heard somewhere (might have been here, maybe somewhere else), that Adelaide Metro might be considering a rebrand. If that's the case, it would be a waste to paint the new trams in the current Adelaide Metro livery, only to have to do it again in the near future.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1239 Post by muzzamo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:49 am

Nort wrote:
Seems to be a cost saving measure, they have some good paintwork on them at the moment so it would cost a lot of money to repaint them purely for aesthetic reasons. I have no doubt that as they require paint touchups over time they will be transferred to the standard colour scheme.
My guess is that it smells of ministerial interference: The department probably wanted them repainted, but the minister stepped in and said to wait until after the election because the current paint job is much brighter and advertises the governments investment in shiny new trams so much more.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1240 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Great photos Bill,

The tramline extension looks good, and those trams are just superb.

paul.h
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1241 Post by paul.h » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm

Sounds like to me your describing TransitPlus liveried buses which never were painted in Admet colours.

Back on tramline discussion, I seen flexi 106 travel up to entercentre and return between 1pm-1:30 today.

medo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1242 Post by medo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi,

Today, between 9 AM and 3 PM, almost every 30 – 40 minutes there was a tram travelling to the Entertainment centre and back.

Medo

bay transit
High Rise Poster!

#1243 Post by bay transit » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Transport Minister Pat Conlon was on 5aa this afternoon with Amanda Blair and said that whilst the Government was in caretaker mode he couldn't make any decision with regards to the opening of the Tramline Extension to the Entertainment Centre.
There would be services (free) offered on Sunday 7th March for the opening and public viewing of the Entertainment Centre upgrade.He did say that there was still quite a lot of work to be done to get everything completed and it wouldn't wory him if it wasn't opened before the end of March.It certainly would have no bearing on the election results as people know its going to happen,have seen the trams being tested and its received plenty of publicity.
He would prefer to see everything finished before timetabled services began.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1244 Post by Tonsley213 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:37 pm

Any rumors about the H class trams not being allowed past the south terrace curve are not ture. An email to TA has confirmed that they are allowed to pass.

medo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1245 Post by medo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi

Nothing new. Testing was between 9AM and 3 PM.

Medo