PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: #PRO: Port Adelaide Tram | #COM: Entertainment Centre Tr

#1381 Post by Vee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote: Will the second tramline extension either eventually go all the way down Port Road, or merge into the Port Adelaide line? :?
Looks like significant new tree plantings in the median strip of Port Road which would suggest that the tram will not go any further down the centre of the road than the Ent. Cent. 'terminus'.
Interested to see where it goes from here.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#1382 Post by Splashmo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:22 pm

Surely it was never going to go any further when we have a perfectly good rail line 100m away that'll be electrified in due course.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#1383 Post by ChrisRT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:30 pm

I think it kind of depends on the Bowdon TOD plans, since I think a central tram station is quite critical to that development.

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#1384 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:48 am

The tram from the Adelaide Entertainment Centre to Glenelg takes around an hour for the whole journey, it shouldnt be that long as most of the tramline is on its own right of way.
The 96 Tram from St Kilda to East Brunswick is almost identical (including dedicated space) and takes around the same time.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#1385 Post by Prince George » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:08 pm

deano91 wrote:And you sometimes just get plain idiots holding up the tram like what happened todayw. This lady with her kids had requested to stop at Wayville. They didn't bother getting up until well AFTER the tram had stopped and so they pretty much ambled down to the pram, buckled in the kids and then wondered why the hell the tram had not left them with enough time to get off.
Let me see if I understand this correctly: there was a woman who had to deal with two kids that were young enough to need a pram, and it took her a long time to get them all sorted out, so much so that the tram left the stop before they were ready. Did anyone help her out? Maybe hold the door open, stading in the doorway so the driver can see that there's something happening? Or did you all sit there and shake your heads at what she was doing? Maybe she's not the only one lacking forethought.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#1386 Post by drsmith » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:50 pm

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:
The tram from the Adelaide Entertainment Centre to Glenelg takes around an hour for the whole journey, it shouldnt be that long as most of the tramline is on its own right of way.
The 96 Tram from St Kilda to East Brunswick is almost identical (including dedicated space) and takes around the same time.
My recollection of the trams in the Melbourne CBD (late 80's) was that you used them if you didn't want to walk, not if you were in a hurry.

Perth's CAT bus service is similar in that as a mode of transport they progress at little more than walking pace. Even suburban bus services from the east are shockingly slow as they work their way through the Perth CBD via Adelaide Tce and St Georges Tce and then to rub final insult into injury they go to a busport that very few people get on/off at instead of continuing westward to service the western suburbs.

It must put a lot of people off.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#1387 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Entertainment Centre concert-goers give trams rave reviews

TRAMS at the Entertainment Centre passed their first major test on a high note last night, receiving raving reviews from concert-goers.

Fans flocked to the upgraded venue on the recently opened extension to see 1970s singer-songwriters James Taylor and Carole King and went home singing the praises of both the concert and their transport.

Dozens of people arrived on each tram from 7pm until just before the concert began at 8pm and told AdelaideNow the service was quick, convenient and comfortable. Most were planning on taking trams home after the show.

David and Jill Michael, of Port Augusta, caught the tram to the Entertainment Centre from the city.

“It’s our first trip on the tram to here,” David said before the concert.

“I only found out about two hours ago that it (the extension) was even finished this far.

“It’s brilliant. It certainly beats catching a taxi and hopefully when we leave we’re not standing in a line for half an hour or three quarters of an hour as we have in the past to catch a taxi back.”

Two extra trams were added to the regular schedule to accommodate fans leaving the concert, who streamed across Port Rd to find at least one and sometimes two trams waiting at the Entertainment Centre stop’s platforms.

Hundreds of people boarded trams within minutes of the concert finishing.

The centre's car park also seemed to switch smoothly at 6.30pm from its new role as a park and ride facility to venue car parking.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertain ... 5847489003

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#1388 Post by JamesXander » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:15 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Went to HQ complex for my 1st ever 'nightclubbing' and saw the trams running perfectly along the new extension from the balcony!
Will the second tramline extension either eventually go all the way down Port Road, or merge into the Port Adelaide line? :?

Underage night clubbing, or just nightclubbing haha

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1389 Post by Nort » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:16 pm

A positive article on Adelaide Now? :shock:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1390 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:18 pm

Nort wrote:A positive article on Adelaide Now? :shock:
I know, what's going on? :lol:

The comments however... :roll:

deano91
High Rise Poster!

#1391 Post by deano91 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:05 pm

Prince George wrote:Let me see if I understand this correctly: there was a woman who had to deal with two kids that were young enough to need a pram, and it took her a long time to get them all sorted out, so much so that the tram left the stop before they were ready. Did anyone help her out? Maybe hold the door open, stading in the doorway so the driver can see that there's something happening? Or did you all sit there and shake your heads at what she was doing? Maybe she's not the only one lacking forethought.
There were plenty of people trying to help her by standing in the door and getting out the way but we were up the back of the tram so aside from physically holding the doors open, there wasn't much we could do.

zap brannigan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1392 Post by zap brannigan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:30 am

i heard a rumour that it's quicker to walk from north terrace to south terrace than catch a tram... could this possibly be true?

rhino

#1393 Post by rhino » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:36 am

zap brannigan wrote:i heard a rumour that it's quicker to walk from north terrace to south terrace than catch a tram... could this possibly be true?
If you just miss a tram and have to wait for the next one, and then the one you get on cops every red light, and cars making right hand turns on KWS south, you just may be able to walk it quicker if you are happy to walk 2km at a pace that is going to give you shin splints. So yes, it is possible, but only to prove a point IMO.
cheers,
Rhino

Nathan

#1394 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:38 am

zap brannigan wrote:i heard a rumour that it's quicker to walk from north terrace to south terrace than catch a tram... could this possibly be true?
As someone who has done the walk, after just missing a tram - the answer is absolutely not.

Aidan

#1395 Post by Aidan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:44 am

Not if they're running anything like a normal timetable.

However it is sometimes quicker to walk from North Terrace to Central Market than catch a tram.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.