PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
sacred_june
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #PRO: Port Adelaide Tram | #COM: Entertainment Centre Tr

#1426 Post by sacred_june » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 am

monotonehell wrote:
sacred_june wrote:PS now that i think about it why ar there no zebra crossings in adelaide? Every other city in the country seem to utilise them?
Because we have major traffic-lighted intersections with very little distance between to warrant zebra crossings as well.
My last comment was not referring to North Terrace only, but a more general statement.
Zebra crossings are common in many other cities around the country, or in their surrounding suburbs - ie: Ormond rd, Elwood.
I grew up in adelaide and can't think of one anywhere (besides in carparks) - however in Melourne they are everywhere, and they are so much better than traffic lights - and keeps drivers more aware too IMO

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1427 Post by Aidan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:15 am

sacred_june wrote:I personally think that the number of lights on North Terrace is ridiculous.
It's not the number that's ridiculous, it's the lack of priority given to trams.
Melbourne CBD has trams running all over the place and generally the tram stops are placed just before a road intersection and have zebra crossings at the front and back of the stop to help pedestrians cross the road safely. Would something like this be feasible in Adelaide?
Probably not in the City, as the number of pedestrians using them would make them even more disruptive to traffic than the lights are.
PS now that i think about it why ar there no zebra crossings in adelaide? Every other city in the country seem to utilise them?
Our Department of Transport didn't think they were safe enough.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

sacred_june
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1428 Post by sacred_june » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Aidan wrote:
sacred_june wrote:I personally think that the number of lights on North Terrace is ridiculous.
It's not the number that's ridiculous, it's the lack of priority given to trams.
Agreed. Funny though that if the trams had more priority the number of traffic lights could potentially drop - which seems like a good thing for drivers!
Aidan wrote:
sacred_june wrote:Melbourne CBD has trams running all over the place and generally the tram stops are placed just before a road intersection and have zebra crossings at the front and back of the stop to help pedestrians cross the road safely. Would something like this be feasible in Adelaide?
Probably not in the City, as the number of pedestrians using them would make them even more disruptive to traffic than the lights are.
I agree. How about the possibility, though, of using them to replace some of the traffic lights?
Aidan wrote:
sacred_june wrote: PS now that i think about it why ar there no zebra crossings in adelaide? Every other city in the country seem to utilise them?
So they're safe enough everywhere else but here? Seems ridiculous.

rhino

#1429 Post by rhino » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:47 pm

sacred_june wrote:
Aidan wrote:
sacred_june wrote: PS now that i think about it why ar there no zebra crossings in adelaide? Every other city in the country seem to utilise them?
Could be because drivers everywhere else but here are safer drivers. That's my experience, in general.
cheers,
Rhino

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#1430 Post by DM8 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Aidan wrote:Our Department of Transport didn't think ...
.... says it all really.
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#1431 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Anyone know what is the next stage of Adelaide's tram expansion? And what is the timeframe?

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#1432 Post by iTouch » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:04 pm

iTouchmyself believes that if the Port Adelaide Tram is completed, they will make a connection between Port Adelaide and Glenelg going through West Beach, Henley etc.
iTouchmyself also has a feeling that it'll be extended to Adelaide Oval
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

skyliner

#1433 Post by skyliner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:31 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:iTouchmyself believes that if the Port Adelaide Tram is completed, they will make a connection between Port Adelaide and Glenelg going through West Beach, Henley etc.
I have that feeling also, but as a part of an extended line north. The Torrens walkway Bridge may put a stop to this idea - if ever constructed.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#1434 Post by Tyler_Durden » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:42 pm

iTouch(myself) wrote:iTouchmyself believes that if the Port Adelaide Tram is completed, they will make a connection between Port Adelaide and Glenelg going through West Beach, Henley etc.
No chance
More chance of happening than your first suggestion but still no chance of actually happening.

In case I didn't make myself clear I was specifically asking about already announced plans and what the next stage of development is.

Aidan

#1435 Post by Aidan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:55 pm

sacred_june wrote:
Aidan wrote:
Agreed. Funny though that if the trams had more priority the number of traffic lights could potentially drop - which seems like a good thing for drivers!
How would giving the trams more priority enable the number of traffic lights to drop?
sacred_june wrote:
Aidan wrote:
sacred_june wrote:Melbourne CBD has trams running all over the place and generally the tram stops are placed just before a road intersection and have zebra crossings at the front and back of the stop to help pedestrians cross the road safely. Would something like this be feasible in Adelaide?
I agree. How about the possibility, though, of using them to replace some of the traffic lights?
I'm not sure what your purpose of repeating the question is. Do you think there would be an advantage to further disrupting traffic? Remember the trams would be disrupted just as much as the cars.
sacred_june wrote:
Aidan wrote:
There's nothing ridiculous about having high standards, and their research did conclude that zebra crossings elsewhere were unsafe, even though those in charge elsewhere considered them a satisfactory solution.

There are two main problems with zebra crossings. The first is the risk of drivers ignoring them. A zebra crossing that only 99% of traffic obeys is far more dangerous than no crossing at all, as it gives pedestrians a false sense of security. The British addressed this problem with Belisha Beacons (which seem to give motorists the impression the crossing is more important) but these never really caught on in Australia.

The other problem is that giving constant priority to pedestrians is impractical. If the rules were strictly enforced, the entire City could quickly become gridlocked!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1436 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:38 pm

As I said, they're a common occurrence in most other Australian CBD's. It's Adelaide that's odd. SA is also the only state that doesn't put zebra crossings on left turn slip lanes to highlight the pedestrian's existing right of way.

This is the kind of set up sacred june was referring to:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 26,,0,4.03
It wouldn't work in Adelaide as we have centre platforms.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1437 Post by jk1237 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 pm

zebra crossings are all over NZ, British and European cities and work well. Most people are aware that you dont walk out onto the road unless you look to see if the car is slowing down and knows your there. Zebra crossings calm the traffic so well, makes the city feel like a people's city, not a cars city like one we know full well, ahem ahem. It really shits me to see our CBD like this. Ok I can put up with it in the suburbs, but for a CBD to be so geared towards cars where drivers now forget to give way to pedestrians even when they have a green man at lights is just bad. They fly out of the multi storey carpark driveways with not even a thought that pedestrians will be walking on the footpath (and who have right of way). The SUV/4WD culture has made it worse too. Last Sun while eating the worlds best pie at the St Peters bakery, there was 20 vehicles in a row trying to park around the bakery, that were either 4WD or SUV. I know the mountains and dirt roads in St Peters are rough as, but to see 1 car in 20 that was a sedan in an inner suburb is just getting too much

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1438 Post by monotonehell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:53 am

jk1237 wrote:zebra crossings are all over NZ, British and European cities and work well. Most people are aware that you dont walk out onto the road unless you look to see if the car is slowing down and knows your there. Zebra crossings calm the traffic so well, makes the city feel like a people's city, not a cars city like one we know full well, ahem ahem. It really shits me to see our CBD like this. Ok I can put up with it in the suburbs, but for a CBD to be so geared towards cars where drivers now forget to give way to pedestrians even when they have a green man at lights is just bad. They fly out of the multi storey carpark driveways with not even a thought that pedestrians will be walking on the footpath (and who have right of way). The SUV/4WD culture has made it worse too. Last Sun while eating the worlds best pie at the St Peters bakery, there was 20 vehicles in a row trying to park around the bakery, that were either 4WD or SUV. I know the mountains and dirt roads in St Peters are rough as, but to see 1 car in 20 that was a sedan in an inner suburb is just getting too much
I totally agree with Josh here. My comment above re the traffic lights being too close together already was in the context of the orginal proposal that zebra crossings be utilised with the tram down KWS. Yes there are other places in the CBD where zebra crossings could work. I've always had a pet love for the ideas of SharedSpace. That's taking it to an extreme.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#1439 Post by rhino » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:36 am

jk1237 wrote:zebra crossings are all over NZ, British and European cities and work well. Most people are aware that you dont walk out onto the road unless you look to see if the car is slowing down and knows your there. Zebra crossings calm the traffic so well, makes the city feel like a people's city, not a cars city like one we know full well, ahem ahem. It really shits me to see our CBD like this. Ok I can put up with it in the suburbs, but for a CBD to be so geared towards cars where drivers now forget to give way to pedestrians even when they have a green man at lights is just bad. They fly out of the multi storey carpark driveways with not even a thought that pedestrians will be walking on the footpath (and who have right of way).

+1. Agree totally.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#1440 Post by rhino » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:38 am

Rhino believes that iTouchmyself is starting to sound a bit too much like Billy Ray Cyrus, referring to himself in the third person :D
cheers,
Rhino