PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

Re: #U/C: Port Adelaide Tram Line

#796 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Port station set for $3m revamp

PORT Adelaide’s railway station will get a long-awaited $3 million dollar makeover, starting in November.

The upgrade of the run-down 150-year-old station will include new shelters, improved lighting, fencing and CCTV security monitoring.

The works were part of $20 million project to repair the Commercial Rd rail bridge and was the first step in the electrification of the Outer Harbor line, Port Adelaide MP Kevin Foley said.

Other improvements would occur at the station later in the electrification process, he said.

“When the line is electrified another $9 million will be spent on further improving the amenity of the station, including lowering the platform,” he said.

more http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... 3m-revamp/
Details: 1800 644 735 or go to http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#797 Post by fabricator » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:27 pm

Kevin Foley wrote: The works were part of $20 million project to repair the Commercial Rd rail bridge and was the first step in the electrification of the Outer Harbor line, Port Adelaide MP Kevin Foley said.

Other improvements would occur at the station later in the electrification process, he said.

“When the line is electrified another $9 million will be spent on further improving the amenity of the station, including lowering the platform,” he said.
Lowering the platform so it can have tacktile tiles or a new surface installed ?
Or has he let slip about converting the line to Tram only operation ?

Nothing at all on the infrastructure.sa website that mentions the costings or work planned for the station itself.

Basically the money being spent breaks down as follows:
Station itself - $3m this year, $9m later
Viaduct $17m this year.

I can't see there being that much left of the $3m once they have paid for lighting, fencing and CCTV. So what sort of shelters do you think we'll end up with ?

Sounds like it's only going to be attractive to the average traveller when the $9m is spent as well.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#798 Post by how_good_is_he » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:17 pm

Is the location of the Pt Adelaide station on the overhead bridge [opp. the former Messenger Press site]?
Why dont they do up Glanville, Ethelton stations etc which fronts Newport Quays - they are screaming for upgrade esp. as an entrance statement to this supposed new $1billion suburb.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#799 Post by skyliner » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:24 pm

I agree how-good-is-he. They are shocking stations - windswept, uninviting, tiny canopy and seating provision. long grass everywhere. Not CITY stations worthy of the development right next to them.Could not believe it when I saw them in 2007. Glanville used to have 7 - 8 tracks and better passenger facilities.
Hope electrification will cause changes.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

metro
Legendary Member!

#800 Post by metro » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:19 pm

skyliner wrote:They are shocking stations - windswept, uninviting, tiny canopy and seating provision. long grass everywhere.
I think that describes almost all stations on the Adelaide Network

Paddy-4-progress
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#801 Post by Paddy-4-progress » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:00 am

Howie, one of the images you posted with all the future developmental plans our State Government has released (e.g. Northern Expressway, coast to coast light rail link) where might I be able to find that?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#802 Post by AG » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:50 am

Paddy-4-progress wrote:Howie, one of the images you posted with all the future developmental plans our State Government has released (e.g. Northern Expressway, coast to coast light rail link) where might I be able to find that?
http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/major_projects

shiftaling
High Rise Poster!

#803 Post by shiftaling » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:09 am

I am interested in how this is planned to link with the current Port Adelaide line - is this still the plan?

I found the following on DTEI website, I was wondering if anyone might have any comments on how this proposal would operate:

"The tramline extension project is required to make provision for a future loopback facility in order to allow for the linkage into the existing Outer Harbor passenger rail line. The tram will terminate in the median of Port Road adjacent the Adelaide Entertainment Centre and a turn back facility will be constructed between the tram terminus and the existing Outer Harbor line, with the most probable connection point somewhere between the new terminus and South Road.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#804 Post by Waewick » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:00 am

if someone can translate that last paragraph from public servant speak to normal human speak that would be great :?

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#805 Post by DM8 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:01 am

I have every fear they'll dump a level crossing on the city-bound carriageway of Port Road.
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#806 Post by Shuz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:13 am

I have every confidence they won't go ahead with the idea of sharing the line. They already scrapped the idea of using tram-trains on the corridor.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#807 Post by muzzamo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 pm

Shuz wrote:I have every confidence they won't go ahead with the idea of sharing the line. They already scrapped the idea of using tram-trains on the corridor.
Yep, give em points for coming up with something bold, but give em even more points for having the courage to dump the idea when it became clear that it wasn't such a good idea.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#808 Post by Hooligan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:57 pm

Shuz wrote:They already scrapped the idea of using tram-trains on the corridor.
They have?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#809 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:24 pm

I think they are thinking of a one way tram way that goes in one direction for 11 hours of the day, closes for 2, then reopens in the opposite direction for the other 11 hours :roll:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#810 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:00 pm

No, that is the libs :wink: