PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

#1 Post by Howie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:46 am

Thought I'd post it up in case anyone missed it on the front page.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Will » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:06 pm

This is a most enlightened proposal!

I really hope the state government takes it seriously and announces a decision soon.

When I analyze this project I think it has a good chance of becoming reality, because

*It could serve the new suburb that is to be built on Cheltenham racecourse
*It would help revitalize the Port
*It would bring in more tourists to the Port, as well as making the new Port Adelaide more accesable to the new 10 000 residents.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Algernon » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:23 pm

The bit I find interesting is that there's no planned link from Port Adelaide to West Lakes Mall. It makes sense in a way, as the whole Port redevelopment is about returning economic activity to the Port, which has been "sucked" away by the mall. I support this specific idea in the proposal, because it means less Port ferals in my area.

Fair dinkum, I was on the bus from west lakes mall to Port Adelaide, and this 17 yo was feeding her baby chunks of a Maccas cheeseburger.

Anyway, with that snobby rant out of the way, I love the idea of a tram line to Football Park. But keeping in theme with the 155 bus route, they'll find a way to give us the shitty old tram everyday :)

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:13 pm

A slight detour to the bus interchange at Westfield Arndale at woodville/kilkenny way would be nice too.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:42 pm

I'd like to see the state shift its focus onto heavy rail. It's faster, can move more pax per vehicle and is immune to traffic. Why build a new rail network when we already have one that could be upgraded?

But hey, I'm still happy. I like trams, and at least they're not building another one-way freeway.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AG » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:26 pm

Council push for $187m tramway past Port
By PAUL STARICK
15feb06
A NORTH WESTERN suburbs council wants the State Government to announce a $187 million tram extension to Port Adelaide and North Haven during the state election campaign.

Port Adelaide Enfield Council met Transport Minister Patrick Conlon on Monday to showcase a detailed study into the proposal.

The 67-page report, commissioned by the council, argues that converting most of the Outer Harbor line to light rail would deliver significant economic and environmental benefits, including reducing traffic congestion.

This would include cutting the number of people commuting to work by car from the northwest by almost 3000 daily by 2011, or from 83 per cent now to 75 per cent.

Mr Conlon last night told The Advertiser that the Government was "not in a position" to support the proposal as it stood.

"(But) the tram extension to North Tce is the obvious first step if we are going to modernise our public transport and rail system," he said.

"If we believe this state has a big future, these are the sort of projects we need to look at."

The Liberal Opposition has vowed to scrap the tram plan, arguing the $21 million for the 1.2km extension would be better spent on roads.

The council plan involves running a tram line through the heart of Port Adelaide, over the Jervois Bridge through to North Haven, with a spur line down Semaphore Rd to the foreshore.

A major slice of the $187.14 million cost would be $52.6 million for 10 new trams, of the type introduced this year on the Glenelg line.

The council study also presents a bolder, more ambitious plan for light rail to extend to Grange and West Lakes, the latter including a new spur line extending to AAMI Stadium and the West Lakes shopping centre.

These light rail conversions would cost $258.13 million. Peak hour services would be at 10-minute intervals and every 20 minutes off peak.

The council report says extending the Glenelg tramline to Port Adelaide and North Haven would be relatively simple, because the existing sleepers had anchor points for new rail of suitable width.

The rail corridor is already in public ownership, removing the need to buy land.

starman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by starman » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:15 am

I love the idea of further extending and enhancing the metro- tram network, as the trains seemingly are too costly and ineffeicnt to serve the needs of metro adelaide. One thing i disagree with is the extension to the end of Military rd Nth Haven, why not all the way to the North HAven Marina? and the spots where the new defence places are being built, so that workers can acess that place daily by the tram.

Surely theres more to come, if theyre that serious about this one. I really belive that a CBD/CIty and Nth Adel. loop could be put in place to curb traffic congestion in the city.

But most importantly, an Airport Link would be great for all tourists and domestic passengers to use.

Other minor projects could include a line down Unley Road, stopping at a terminal at the Mitham Shopping centre, although having said that I can see the confusion and conjestion caused by peak hour traffic coming down and out from Belair and Coromandel Valey. And a line to the end of the Parade in Norwood.

Still, definetly worth doing. It will have a monstrous effect on the Port and could resume its position as the 2nd CBD.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AtD » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:47 am

starman wrote:I love the idea of further extending and enhancing the metro- tram network, as the trains seemingly are too costly and ineffeicnt to serve the needs of metro adelaide.
Just out of curiosity, what gave you this idea? Even Adelaide's trains can fit more pax per car than an articulated bus, and can be run in six-car sets (still pathetic by national standards).

Anyone who thinks no one uses trains in Adelaide should stand in Adelaide station at 8.45 am and watch the queues trying to get out of the turnstyles. Most mornings I'm lucky to get in the doors at Salisbury, not once have I got a seat.
starman wrote:Surely theres more to come, if theyre that serious about this one. I really belive that a CBD/CIty and Nth Adel. loop could be put in place to curb traffic congestion in the city.

But most importantly, an Airport Link would be great for all tourists and domestic passengers to use.

Other minor projects could include a line down Unley Road, stopping at a terminal at the Mitham Shopping centre, although having said that I can see the confusion and conjestion caused by peak hour traffic coming down and out from Belair and Coromandel Valey. And a line to the end of the Parade in Norwood.

Still, definetly worth doing. It will have a monstrous effect on the Port and could resume its position as the 2nd CBD.
Agreed. I hope the ALP don't back down on their move for trams down O'Connell Street. Trams replacing the JetBus service would be logical given the frequency of busses along it, as well as giving a good first impression to visitors, and Trams through Norwood would mean you could possibly have services going from Glenelg to Norwood via Adelaide.

Trams to Marion would be redundant. It'd be easier to provide better linkage to Oakland's Park R'way station which is physically a short walk away. A directy, lit and possibly sheltered path and better access to the centre from that direction would make it feel much closer.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by AG » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:43 pm

Yeh, but the Gawler train line is far busier than the Outer Harbor/Grange lines. Only the Noarlunga and Gawler lines get lots of passengers. The Outer Harbor line does get reasonable patronage during peak hour, but beyond that it is a pathetic service.

I always thought it would be a good idea to seperate the Gawler line and the Noarlunga/Tonsley groups into seperate lines with stations split between the lines. For example, the Gawler line would be split into two separate lines, one local and one express line. The local line would simply serve all stations between the city and Salisbury. The express line would run all the way to Gawler, but serving only Mawson Lakes between the city and Salisbury to serve as an interchange station between the local and express line.

For the Noarlunga/Tonsley group it would be a bit more complex. The local line would run all stations between the city and Tonsley, while the Noarlunga line would not serve stations between Woodlands Park and the city (except Goodwood). On the Noarlunga line, this would make Woodlands Park an interchange station for the Tonsley line towards Tonsley and towards Clarence Park, and Goodwood an interchange station for the Belair line.

This could well be applied to the Grange and Outer Harbor lines as well, where the Outer Harbor line would not serve stations between Woodville and Adelaide (not inclusive). Woodville would become an interchange station for the Grange line towards Grange and towards Bowden, and this would allow the Grange line to operate more frequently and Outer Harbor services quicker.

In all 3 cases, more tracks would be required, so some investment would be needed.

Jamo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by Jamo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:07 pm

What is the govt's and passenger transport board's vision for the network? Maintain the status quo or develop the system and make it into something thorough and user friendly.

The Tonsley line epitomises the ridiculuseness (dont think thats a word?) of our rail system. Stops in the middle of nowhere, a couple of kms short of a major institution, Flinders uni and medical centre and fast growing suburbs to the south. Why not extend it and make it viable or at least develop a master plan/vision for the future of our public tpt network! Lets reverse the decline in patronage and break our addiction to cars.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Will » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:04 pm

The government has already set aside $30 million for a tram extension to O'Connell Street in the 2006/2007 state budget.

The government has made no pledges about further tram extensions, however with the state's strengthening economy and the prospect of 8-12 years of Labor government I am confident that within a decade trams will be going to Port Adelaide, West Lakes, Norwood and the airport.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

glenelg tramline extension

#12 Post by skyliner » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:40 pm

on sat 28th oct Howie wrote 'what side of the city do you live on just out of curiosity?' Go west of Brisbane 42 km to Ipswich (Pop 126000) and go south 50 km to a place ca;lled Kalbar (pop. 1000) It is 85 km by road from Brisbane GPO.

Next, can I ask whether or not the Adelaide railway station extension of the Glenelg tramline is happening? (can't find updated info on it).

Next - had an idea for those with an entrepreneurial bent. I wanted to do this but seems out of reach at present. Get a couple of old H class trams (when they are sold next - all currently retired ones are sold) Convert to caffe/coffe shoppe or restuarant and kitchen, park on a spur in Moseley Square parallel to the beech or go out onto the pier OR use the current Victoria square terminal as a stationary base. I reckon it would go really well in a city so heavily oriented to cafes and restuarants. Glenelg, according to sensational Adelaide reports, is fast going high rise, bringing in the suitable clientel for the tram resrtuarant to work. Hope this proves useful to someone.

Again, congratulations to all on developing such a great site!!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by AtD » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:16 am

The extension of the tram line is now proposed to go past the railway station and terminate in front of UniSA City West. Last I read, it was due to commence work some time next year. With all the political bullshit going on, I wouldn't be surprised if it never got built.

They've tried the restaurant tram idea before. It's sitting in the depot now, collecting dust. Holdfast Bay council have brought a H-class to have standing as a 'monument' in Mosley Square.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AG » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:06 am

AFAIK the Adelaide City Council wanted to buy one for use as a restaurant IIRC.

By the way, in future can you please not start up new topics that already have topics for them. Please post in the existing threads relating to the tram line.

Welcome and enjoy your stay, JRJ.

AG

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:47 pm

AtD wrote:The extension of the tram line is now proposed to go past the railway station and terminate in front of UniSA City West. Last I read, it was due to commence work some time next year. With all the political bullshit going on, I wouldn't be surprised if it never got built.
I think its going to commence after Mad March