PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #U/C: Port Adelaide Tram Line

#781 Post by Brando » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:45 pm

rev wrote:
Shuz wrote:Thanks Alyx. I just had a look for myself - I gotta say, they're fucking sexy as. I hope they'll retain the blue/white/red livery on them. I think it's a good fit - very "Australian". I'd hate for them to be brandished in the god-awful Adelaide Metro livery.
Current livery isn't that bad, it would look a lot better though if it was more then just straight lines.
1 billion % agree with Shuz. It's all well and good to be state patriotic, but way to much red, blue and yellow around. It reminds people too much of the Crows.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#782 Post by AG » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:09 am

Say hello to our new trams
Article from: The Advertiser
GREG KELTON
September 12, 2009 12:01am

ADELAIDE'S new trams are being modified in Melbourne before going into service over Christmas and the New Year.

Three of the trams, purchased in Europe, arrived on the docks in Melbourne this week. Three more will arrive next month in a $36 million international deal.

The trams were built for Madrid transport group MINTRA for a major light rail project.

They were deemed surplus to requirements when the project was scaled back because of concerns over the global financial crisis.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the $6 million cost for each tram was around the same as buying them new.

The deal, however, would help solve capacity problems much quicker than ordering new trams and waiting for them to be built and then to be delivered to South Australia. The French-made Alstom Citadis 302 trams hold 186 passengers each.

That is a slight increase on the trams in the existing fleets which have a 170-person carrying capacity.

Mr Conlon said the trams would begin arriving in Adelaide in November for trials before starting passenger operations over the festive holiday period.

"They will increase TransAdelaide's modern tram fleet by 50 per cent and be running in time for the start of extended services to the Adelaide Entertainment Centre early next year," he said.

Each tram is being brought to Australia in two halves for modifications at Melbourne's Preston tram depot before being transported to Adelaide by road and then reassembled here.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#783 Post by AtD » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 am

Also on News.com.au

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#784 Post by jk1237 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:36 am

oooh they look very snazzy :D

and its great that they're a bit longer and fit more people than the current flexi's

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#785 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:01 am

Will this tram extension be a temporary white elephant? will we see mostly empty trams going up/down Port Rd many times a day? It should receive a decent level of patronage coincident with AEC events, but that's only occasional traffic. Longer term it should receive plenty of patronage from the Bowden TOD, but that's a few years away...

Also, roughly 30% of this tram extension passes by industrial premises (coca cola, brewery, car yards, kennards, blah) where very few people with join/alight - or perhaps the govt has earmarked this strip of land for more high-density living?

Apologies if this discussion belongs in another thread.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#786 Post by muzzamo » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:50 am

Wayno wrote:Will this tram extension be a temporary white elephant? will we see mostly empty trams going up/down Port Rd many times a day? It should receive a decent level of patronage coincident with AEC events, but that's only occasional traffic. Longer term it should receive plenty of patronage from the Bowden TOD, but that's a few years away...
There is also the entertainment centre park n ride.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#787 Post by muzzamo » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:52 am

This one was also in the links above

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#788 Post by bm7500 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:00 pm

Shuz wrote:Thanks Alyx. I just had a look for myself - I gotta say, they're fucking sexy as. I hope they'll retain the blue/white/red livery on them. I think it's a good fit - very "Australian". I'd hate for them to be brandished in the god-awful Adelaide Metro livery.
Of course the will be painted in the AM livery! Its not like they are a temporary solution.

One thing that the government has failed to point out is that whilst these trams have a larger standing capacity, they actually have 10 fewer seats than the Flexis (54 Vs 64)...
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#789 Post by jk1237 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:59 pm

Wayno wrote:Will this tram extension be a temporary white elephant? will we see mostly empty trams going up/down Port Rd many times a day? It should receive a decent level of patronage coincident with AEC events, but that's only occasional traffic. Longer term it should receive plenty of patronage from the Bowden TOD, but that's a few years away...

Also, roughly 30% of this tram extension passes by industrial premises (coca cola, brewery, car yards, kennards, blah) where very few people with join/alight - or perhaps the govt has earmarked this strip of land for more high-density living?

good post. The new extension wont have very much commuter flow until the Brompton TOD gets going, and until its connects to the Outer Harbor light rail. Will be good for Hindmarsh soccer games, entertainment centre stuff and events in Bonython Park though.

But its a good time to build it while materials will be cheaper now than in the height of a economic boom

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#790 Post by Ben » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:58 pm

Wayne it's better that these trams/extension arrive/are built prior to the TOD rather than after like most transport developments trying to play catch up. For once this was done right.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#791 Post by Wayno » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:33 am

Ben wrote:Wayne it's better that these trams/extension arrive/are built prior to the TOD rather than after like most transport developments trying to play catch up. For once this was done right.
yep, i do agree - i'm just questioning that's all :-) This tram line will certainly improve prospects of the TOD being a success.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#792 Post by Shuz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Was looking through some figures today, and I came across this survey undertaken by the DTEI. http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... alysis.pdf - on page 3/5, it shows a graph of respondents who indicated preferences for further tramline extensions.

I am very curious as to why the Government opted in favor to construct the Port Adelaide tramline first, with collaborative destinations Port Road/Entertainment Centre only conjuring around 250 votes of support, as opposed to the popularity of a City Loop - with collaborative destinations West End and East End - conjuring around 450 votes of support (nearly double that of the Port Tramline).

It should be noted this survey was taken from respondents at the Glenelg Tramline Extension Open Day - which was held at Trinity Church (I think?) and distributed to all property and business owners along the extension route, and also in the following week at displays within the Adelaide Metro store, and also at the Adelaide Railway Station and Victoria Square stops - if this in any one "skews" the outcome of data - within CBD locations, and therefore granting higher support for CBD destinations?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#793 Post by Wayno » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:44 pm

Shuz wrote:I am very curious as to why the Government opted in favor to construct the Port Adelaide tramline first.
Most likely due to the TOD - the govt stuck its neck out to buy the clipsal site land, and wants to maximise its chance of success.

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#794 Post by drsmith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:02 pm

it's a pity that it does not somehow incorporate North Adelaide.

One route that comes to mind would to extend from North Terrace to Port Road vis King William Road/Pennington Tce/Montefiore Hill/Jeffcott Street/Childers Street/Mills Tce/North Adelaide Railway station with a connection stop there/Park Terrace/Port Road.

It's obviously a longer and more complex than the direct route to Port Road but it would have serviced much more.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#795 Post by adam_stuckey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:35 am

[quote="Shuz"]I am very curious as to why the Government opted in favor to construct the Port Adelaide tramline first,quote]

Most likely to give the entertainment centre upgrade some legs
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month