News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Kasey771
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1126 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:07 am

monotonehell wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:29 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:46 pm
This past Thursday had more buses testing the tunnel.
They've been testing the sensor and emergency systems with each kind of o-bahn enabled bus in the fleet.

Seems to be going well, but with the complexity of all the safety systems combined with reality, I've been told off the record that there's likely going to be a lot of tunnel shutdowns in the first few weeks of operation. Due to unforeseen combinations of events tripping the safety alarm.

This is good and as it should be. Best to err on the side of safety and investigate what happened, then implement what was learned instead of killing a bunch of people.

Of course the PT hating Sadelaide-Now comment brigade will be poised with their comments of "SEE WE TOLD YOU IT WOULDN'T WORK!", "WASTE OF TAXPAYERS' MONEY!" and the like.
You just know its coming:( :wallbash: :wallbash:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1127 Post by how good is he » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:22 pm

Will other buses heading in/out of the city to/from Grenfell St be using the tunnel or will this be exclusively for O-Bahn routed buses?

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1128 Post by timtam20292 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:42 pm

I would think it’s only for O-bahn buses.
Last edited by timtam20292 on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1129 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:47 pm

how good is he wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:22 pm
Will other buses heading in/out of the city to/from Grenfell St be using the tunnel or will this be exclusively for O-Bahn routed buses?
Good question - however a majority of the buses that head along Hackney Road are designated for the O-Bahn.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1130 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:56 pm

It is the O-Bahn tunnel-so only O-Bahn buses can use it,plus Dumbo which is the Mercedes breakdown truck(the original).

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1131 Post by how good is he » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Yes I accept most are on the O-Bahn route but I would like to know which other routes/buses would benefit if they could ever use the tunnel (and express lanes). Anyone know?

SBD

#1132 Post by SBD » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 pm

how good is he wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:10 pm
Yes I accept most are on the O-Bahn route but I would like to know which other routes/buses would benefit if they could ever use the tunnel (and express lanes). Anyone know?
Presumably, any route that goes along Hackney Road past the O-Bahn entrance/exit on their way from/to the city centre could benefit from the new tunnel. Are there any routes that fit that description? If they currently use North Terrace instead of Grenfell Street, they might stay on that route rather than switch to the tunnel, or rejigwith other routes that use Botanic Road but not Hackney Road.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1133 Post by monotonehell » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:07 am

how good is he wrote:
To use the narrow and fast tunnel, vehicles require guide wheels.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SBD

#1134 Post by SBD » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 am

monotonehell wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:07 am
how good is he wrote:
To use the narrow and fast tunnel, vehicles require guide wheels.
If a route required the tunnel, then the buses scheduled for that route would be buses suitable for using it, just like any routes that leave the busway at Klemzig or Paradise need guidewheels to use the section before that.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1135 Post by how good is he » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:14 am

Yes fair points and I know they will need guidewheels (which can always be added) but just curious what other routes/suburbs could benefit from this tunnel. This could further help congestion/trip times. What I was hoping to find out if any other buses/suburbs (apart from the current O-bahn route) could benefit. So nobody knows?
SBD, you state the obvious but it doesn't answer my question.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1136 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 am

how good is he wrote:Yes fair points and I know they will need guidewheels (which can always be added) but just curious what other routes/suburbs could benefit from this tunnel. This could further help congestion/trip times. What I was hoping to find out if any other buses/suburbs (apart from the current O-bahn route) could benefit. So nobody knows?
Any routes in the North-Eastern suburbs could benefit, but some would require a route change, especially those currently heading along Melbourne Street to access the CBD. It will be interesting to see what the changes will be, but we will have to wait as that information isn't public yet.

SBD

#1137 Post by SBD » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm

how good is he wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:14 am
Yes fair points and I know they will need guidewheels (which can always be added) but just curious what other routes/suburbs could benefit from this tunnel. This could further help congestion/trip times. What I was hoping to find out if any other buses/suburbs (apart from the current O-bahn route) could benefit. So nobody knows?
OK, I looked at Google Maps and Adelaide Metro. Route 281 appears to be one you are looking for - Paradise interchange to North Terrace without using the busway. It serves stops on Botanic Road and Hackney Road that would be bypassed by using the tunnel, and the Hackney Road stop will not be accessible from the bus-only lane. Route 273 is similar, but uses Melbourne Street and Frome Road. Route 208 is Melbourne Street and King WIlliam Road. I have not found one that comes from Hackney Road to Grenfell Street but not from the busway.

Was I more help now?

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#1138 Post by timtam20292 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:03 pm

I’m a frequent user of the 281. Wish it went further into the city instead of just along North Terrace.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1139 Post by AG » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:57 pm

The 281 is about the only existing non-OBahn route that could benefit from the new tunnel. W90 could potentially as well, but that would require rerouting through narrow College Park streets to reach the existing Sixth Avenue stops (and skipping the Harrow Road stops), which isn't likely.

The other 20x and 27x routes that run up Melbourne Street are effectively north-south routes that run to the city or King William Street and through to other cross town routes.

The Scooter Guy

#1140 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 am

Ornamental arching is now being installed on both ends.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/