News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Cycling around Adelaide

#16 Post by olliepee » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 am

it's not hte fact adelaide metro needs to display bike information.. there should just be one single *hub* (call it transportAdelaide) that connects this information to the metro information for easy route planning, exploring, etc

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by monotonehell » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:22 pm

[quote="Norman]I'm not sure why the Adelaide Metro should be displaying Bike information[/quote]
Because AdelaideMetro isn't just about buses, trains and trams (and taxis). It's values and objectives are aimed in that direction. The integration of private transport (cars) and public transport by park and Rides is well documented. So should the integration of our metropolitan cycle paths, bike storage (the bike eqivalent to park and ride), and public transport be documented.

It's about offering a service to the public that integrates all forms of transport in order to make it more attractive.

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about/about.html

I love those bike highways pictured above. Not sure how they would go in practice though.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:28 pm

olliepee wrote:Image
Reminds me of those "capsule pipelines" (aka Lamson tubes) that used to be installed in office buildings back in the early 20th century to quickly send "small urgent packages" to other staff - :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_tube
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by Norman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Mototonehell wrote:
Norman wrote:I'm not sure why the Adelaide Metro should be displaying Bike information
Because AdelaideMetro isn't just about buses, trains and trams (and taxis). It's values and objectives are aimed in that direction. The integration of private transport (cars) and public transport by park and Rides is well documented. So should the integration of our metropolitan cycle paths, bike storage (the bike eqivalent to park and ride), and public transport be documented.

It's about offering a service to the public that integrates all forms of transport in order to make it more attractive.

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about/about.html

I love those bike highways pictured above. Not sure how they would go in practice though.
There is limited information given on bike lockers and storage on route maps and timetables.

olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#20 Post by olliepee » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:08 pm

I just came across these renders by a mexican architect Michel Rojkind...

http://www.mexican-architects.com/index ... m_id=12025

some great examples of how a levitated cycle/walkway can look great.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#21 Post by Shuz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 am

That looks pretty darn cool. Adelaide should have something like that on the northern side of the River Torrens right through the city.

olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#22 Post by olliepee » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

I reckon it'd be great to connect nth adelaide, all the way up king william to victoria square and down to south terrace. And at the same time going from east to west from rundle st parklands to hindley st/west terrace past university.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#PRO: Amy Gillett Bikeway

#23 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:10 am

Amy Gillett Bikeway plans go on show
August 26, 2009

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon today unveiled plans for stage 1 of the 32-kilometre Amy Gillett Bikeway through the Adelaide Hills from Oakbank to Mt Pleasant.

The initial 5-kilometre long stage will be established on the disused rail corridor between Oakbank and Woodside and is part of the Rann Government’s massive rollout of bike paths and lanes.

Mr Conlon said the Amy Gillett Bikeway would further enhance Adelaide as the capital city of cycling.

“I am very excited about the development of this facility,” he said.

“The bike path will provide a safe and picturesque environment for bike riders and pedestrians as an alternative to the busy Onkaparinga Valley Road.

“We now enter the important stage of seeking feedback on the stage 1 plans from the local and cycling communities.

“Amy Gillett was an elite South Australian cyclist and rower who represented Australia in both sports before her tragic death in a road training accidence in Germany in 2005.

“The Amy Gillett Foundation does a lot of outstanding work to educate drivers and cyclists on how they can be safer on our roads.”

Current recipient of the Amy Gillett Foundation Scholarship, Amber Halliday, said it is fantastic the bikeway has been named in memory of Amy.

“Amy had a passion for life, sport and education. This bikeway is a fitting tribute to her and will provide an excellent environment for cyclists and pedestrians,” she said.

Mr Conlon said the Rann Government has significantly expanded Adelaide’s cycling network over the past seven years and more work is planned.

“We have extended Adelaide’s network of bicycle lanes and paths from around 480 kilometres in 2002 to about 750 kilometres in 2009.

“Along with the Amy Gillett Bikeway, the new 23-kilometre bike lane on the Northern Expressway will be named after local hero and cycling champion, Stuart O’Grady.

“As part of our massive program to upgrade the rail system, I have also asked the Department to consider cycling in the early planning stages so that cycling facilities are included in these projects in an integrated fashion.”

Initial funding of $1 million has been provided by the State Government to complete the 5 kilometre first stage of the Amy Gillett Bikeway. Construction is set to get underway in October and is scheduled for completion by next year’s Tour Down Under.

The plans for Stage 1 can be viewed at Woodside Library until Friday 4 September.

Project team members will be in attendance from 5pm to 7pm on Thursday 27 August and Thursday 3 September to answer any questions.

The display will provide a chance for local residents and other interested parties to find out detailed information regarding what is planned for the disused rail-line between Oakbank and Woodside.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Bike Lanes in Adelaide

#24 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 am

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this but thought this rant on the state of/update on what's going on with bike lanes in Adelaide could be useful.

I thought it would be fitting to start this thread after the Tour Down Under's fan fare in regards to Lance Armstrong etc having just occurred.

I am presently disgusted with the state of bike lanes, or there lack of, on the streets of Adelaide. I live in/near Unley. A short car ride from the city. Now don't get me wrong, when I ride in, it is far easier and cost effective due to not needing to find a car park once I reach the city, but the fact that I have to bid farewell to my loved ones each and every time I take the trek down Goodwood Road and further along into the city for fear of not returning in one piece, is just plain ridiculous.

Goodwood Rd is a shambles. I don't know what the solution to this mess is but certainly something needs to be done. Not only exclusively for cyclists but in general it is a dangerous piece of road to navigate down. The only time it is enjoyable is the middle of peak hour when the cars are bumper to bumper and I bypass the lot of them.

How Pulteney Street hasn't included a proper bike lane still ceases to amaze me. These are wide streets. Why is there no dedicated bike lanes? I mean a bike lane between the hours of 7am-9am and 4pm-7pm is all good and well but turns our traffic doesn't work to a clock. This is madness. Why should I have to duck in and out of parked cars, buses, stupid pedestrians, opened car doors, left turning cars etc etc when I am doing the environmentally responsible thing by riding whilst living in close proximity to the city?

And another thing, the continuation of my journey today took me through the city and up to Prospect Road which was also no mean feat. Ok, fair enough, the cars and public transport can have King William Road (hence why I think the adjacent roads like Pulteney etc should have dedicated bike lanes), but once I passed the Festival Centre, once again my life was on the ropes. Let's face it, O'Connell St is not CBD-ish. It's a glorified residential area, but where the hell are the bikes supposed to go???

/end rant. Apologies for being so angry about this, but when I'm riding I try my best to stay as far over to the left as humanly possible but I feel it is well within my rights to NOT have to ride in the gutter and to be given sufficient room by passing cars, which is not always the case.

Now, can someone who is more in the know update us (or more to the point, me) on the goings on in regards to Mike Rann's (or our "pro-bike" Government's) stance and/or Grand Vision on bike lanes. I did read today that the hills would be receiving some new bike infrastructure, appropriately named the Amy Gillett Bikeway.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: Bike Lanes in Adelaide

#25 Post by mattblack » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:45 am

Yes the bike lane down this neck of the woods are crap, Goodwood rd id suicidal. A few solutions in the meantime, Dont exactally know where you are but going down Winston/East Ave is far, far safer, turn left at Balfours and head down Anzc Hwy that actually does have an ok bike lane, join onto West Tce wheres theres a segregated bike lane all the way from Keswick to Nth Tce. Nth Tce is also not that bad on a bike. Thats the way I head into town anyway, a bit longer but I quite enjoy my life and would like to keep in it for a while. Ive also got a scooter, Im over 6ft, look like a bit of a dill on it probally but you can stay with traffic, still manouver inbetween cars and not have to worry about parking. GOOD LUCK !!

citybangbang
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#26 Post by citybangbang » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:50 pm

If you have ever tried riding down South Road, you won't do it twice!
No bike lanes, lots of semi trailers and industrial debris.
I ride on teh footpath!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Wayno » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:02 pm

i'm at Torrens Park (off Belair Rd which extends Unley Rd) and won't ride to the city. It's only 4km but way too scary...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:32 pm

It's a joke. I understand that not all roads can have the same biking infrastructure and that Cars Rule. But seriously, someone needs to pull their finger out on a massive scale.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Prince George » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm

South Road, Goodwood Road, Unley Road ... perhaps y'all should invest a little time in your route selection. Taking a convoluted backstreets route means a big time penalty in a car, but much less so on a bike. So don't shy away from taking a less direct path if it is more comfortable than the direct one.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Wayno » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:11 pm

Prince George wrote:South Road, Goodwood Road, Unley Road ... perhaps y'all should invest a little time in your route selection. Taking a convoluted backstreets route means a big time penalty in a car, but much less so on a bike. So don't shy away from taking a less direct path if it is more comfortable than the direct one.
i'd like to travel above but gravity prevents...