News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling

#361 Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:13 pm

While we're bitching about horse riders, what's the deal with horse shit on paths? There are regulations around cleaning up after your dog, with fines for failure to do so, but seems horses can plaster a road or shared path with impunity? The police horses are particularly bad with that in Bonython Park through to the riverbank precinct.

Llessur2002

#362 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:37 am

A few progress shots of the remaining bit of the Outer Harbor greenway through the gasworks site at Brompton (all taken from DPTI's website):

It was supposed to be finished and opened in July but I doubt that deadline will be met at this rate. Hopefully by August though.

Llessur2002

#363 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Surprise surprise :roll:
Bridge at Goodwood railway station for cyclists put ‘on hold’ following cost blowout

A proposed bridge for cyclists and pedestrians over Goodwood railway station is “on hold indefinitely” after cost estimates nearly tripled to $28 million.

Public Transport Minister Stephan Knoll said the project, which would have connected the Mike Turtur Bikeway from Railway Tce North, in Goodwood, and Norman Tce, in Forestville, had nearly tripled in cost from its initial estimate of $10 million.

“Following detailed planning work it was revealed the project would cost nearly three times the original estimation,” Mr Knoll said.

An artist impression of the bridge to take cyclists over Goodwood railway station.

“As a responsible State Government we will now reassess the priority of this project and value to South Australian taxpayers before deciding whether to proceed.”

The former Labor government promised the bridge in 2016 and said it would be completed before the end of 2017.

Mr Knoll’s comments come after documents obtained under freedom of information, sighted by The Messenger, suggested the cost blow out.

Cyclists currently either have to walk through a subway under the station or detour through the level crossing at Victoria St.

Unley Mayor Michael Hewitson said the government’s decision was “frustrating”.

“(The bridge) would be a natural addition,” Mr Hewitson said.

“It would draw even greater numbers of people on bikes, taking them off our roads.”Unley Bicycle User Group chairwoman Jennifer Bonham was disappointed with the announcement.

“We need to be making decisions for the long-term future of transport in Adelaide,” Dr Bonham said.

“The cost of the Goodwood Station upgrade pales against the billions of dollars spent on the various north-south corridor projects.

“Upgrading Goodwood station will help this (bike) network function with much greater safety and efficiency.”

She said the current option for cyclists at the crossing was similar to “asking motorists to get out of their vehicles and push them through a tricky or dangerous intersection”.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 30630cf23f

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#364 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:41 pm

Oh ffs...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Nathan

#365 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:47 pm

I'm noticing a pattern of mysterious blowouts to projects to conveniently justify the government canning them. I wonder if Knoll would care to release the detailed planning that explains them?

Llessur2002

#366 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Nathan wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:47 pm
I'm noticing a pattern of mysterious blowouts to projects to conveniently justify the government canning them. I wonder if Knoll would care to release the detailed planning that explains them?
I was just about to say the same thing. Very convenient.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#367 Post by kymbosa » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:57 pm
Nathan wrote:
South Road under this current mob won’t happen, costs are going to be amazingly huge....but we have enough for a hotel at the oval....

Nathan

#368 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:03 pm

Nathan wrote:
LOL. Apparently making practically the same comment as above on the Adelaide Now article isn't allowed, they want to keep discussion to the usual anti-cycling whinges.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#369 Post by ginzahikari » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:22 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm
Surprise surprise :roll:
Bridge at Goodwood railway station for cyclists put ‘on hold’ following cost blowout

A proposed bridge for cyclists and pedestrians over Goodwood railway station is “on hold indefinitely” after cost estimates nearly tripled to $28 million.

Public Transport Minister Stephan Knoll said the project, which would have connected the Mike Turtur Bikeway from Railway Tce North, in Goodwood, and Norman Tce, in Forestville, had nearly tripled in cost from its initial estimate of $10 million.

“Following detailed planning work it was revealed the project would cost nearly three times the original estimation,” Mr Knoll said.

An artist impression of the bridge to take cyclists over Goodwood railway station.

“As a responsible State Government we will now reassess the priority of this project and value to South Australian taxpayers before deciding whether to proceed.”

The former Labor government promised the bridge in 2016 and said it would be completed before the end of 2017.

Mr Knoll’s comments come after documents obtained under freedom of information, sighted by The Messenger, suggested the cost blow out.

Cyclists currently either have to walk through a subway under the station or detour through the level crossing at Victoria St.

Unley Mayor Michael Hewitson said the government’s decision was “frustrating”.

“(The bridge) would be a natural addition,” Mr Hewitson said.

“It would draw even greater numbers of people on bikes, taking them off our roads.”Unley Bicycle User Group chairwoman Jennifer Bonham was disappointed with the announcement.

“We need to be making decisions for the long-term future of transport in Adelaide,” Dr Bonham said.

“The cost of the Goodwood Station upgrade pales against the billions of dollars spent on the various north-south corridor projects.

“Upgrading Goodwood station will help this (bike) network function with much greater safety and efficiency.”

She said the current option for cyclists at the crossing was similar to “asking motorists to get out of their vehicles and push them through a tricky or dangerous intersection”.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 30630cf23f
Surely they have to build a tram to train connection with that... but it's Adelaide so nah

SBD

#370 Post by SBD » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:50 pm

kymbosa wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:42 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Nathan wrote:
South Road under this current mob won’t happen, costs are going to be amazingly huge....but we have enough for a hotel at the oval....
South Road won't get finished while Tom Koutsantonis doesn't want long-running roadworks through his electorate. He was happy to have his photo taken with his arms crossed in front of nearby buildings, but didn't mention any alternate plan while he had the microphone and spotlight.

This bridge with platform access makes sense in so many ways. I wonder if the scope changed in the process of it becoming "too expensive".

Neither major party is interested in extending the Gawler Greenway through Salisbury or Playford either, nor a matching route east of Main North Road (current options are to cycle on Main North Road or rural roads with 100 km/h speed limits and no shoulders to reach Gawler).

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#371 Post by kymbosa » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:50 pm
kymbosa wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:

South Road won't get finished while Tom Koutsantonis doesn't want long-running roadworks through his electorate. He was happy to have his photo taken with his arms crossed in front of nearby buildings, but didn't mention any alternate plan while he had the microphone and spotlight.
Lol. Blame Tom, who is in a safe seat, one in which the libs won’t win.

If the libs has a back bone than they would just rip through there and build it. This conversation is for anther forum...

Cycling however, I await the announcement of the bike path to Melbourne! C’mon libs I want my exclusive bike path!! 😂#nevergoingtohappen

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#372 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Nathan wrote:
I fully expect the Liberals to somehow find funds for yet another goldplated road intersection upgrade with dubious benefits.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#373 Post by SBD » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:41 pm

kymbosa wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:33 pm
SBD wrote:
kymbosa wrote:

If the libs has a back bone than they would just rip through there and build it. This conversation is for anther forum...

Cycling however, I await the announcement of the bike path to Melbourne! C’mon libs I want my exclusive bike path!! 😂#nevergoingtohappen
My pet cycling project is a shared path between Blakeview and Evanston South - a few kilometres with an unmade road reserve, several housing estates and a large school. Cycle Instead website set for "low traffic" uses Main North Road. The route crosses (or runs along) boundaries of safe Labor state electorates, but neither party has shown any interest. They have both said that the Gawler Greenway (along the railway line a kilometre to the west on the other side of Main North Road through Smithfield, Munno Para, Kudla and Evanston Park) will meet the requirement, but is not presently planned to be funded.

Liberal has apparently added a shared path connecting the path along the Northern Connector to Port Adelaide near the Port River Expressway to the plan. Labor didn't include it when the Port River Expressway was built as nobody would want to cycle on a freight route between Port Adelaide and Mawson Lakes. Assuming it gets built as reported, it overcomes a significant oversight of that original road.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#374 Post by kymbosa » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:41 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:41 pm
kymbosa wrote:
SBD wrote:

......Main North Road through Smithfield, Munno Para, Kudla and Evanston Park) will meet the requirement, but is not presently planned to be funded.

Liberal has apparently added a shared path connecting the path along the Northern Connector to Port Adelaide near the Port River Expressway to the plan. Labor didn't include it when the Port River Expressway was built as nobody would want to cycle on a freight route between Port Adelaide and Mawson Lakes. Assuming it gets built as reported, it overcomes a significant oversight of that original road.
So anything cemented in or are these just pipe dreams?

As per the first one you mentioned, “not presently planned to be funded”

And right there is the problem with this current mob, everything is on the cutting table, which is why the important passing bridge over the train is dumbed, cause the budgets get an extra couple of times by 4 to blow out costs.

Cycling paths need money spent on them, inner city and suburbs, could have started by doing one along King William St Hyde Park, when they took away on street parking.

SBD

#375 Post by SBD » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:14 pm

kymbosa wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:41 pm
SBD wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:41 pm
kymbosa wrote:

......Main North Road through Smithfield, Munno Para, Kudla and Evanston Park) will meet the requirement, but is not presently planned to be funded.

So anything cemented in or are these just pipe dreams?

As per the first one you mentioned, “not presently planned to be funded”

And right there is the problem with this current mob, everything is on the cutting table, which is why the important passing bridge over the train is dumbed, cause the budgets get an extra couple of times by 4 to blow out costs.

Cycling paths need money spent on them, inner city and suburbs, could have started by doing one along King William St Hyde Park, when they took away on street parking.
The Port River Expressway shared path appears to be funded.

The Gawler Greenway has been promised for close to ten years, by both flavours of government, with minimal progress. According to a recent letter from the Minister, it's in the "Getting Active" plan to increase active transport by 30 percent by 2045.