News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Buses

#406 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:34 am

$26 concession return for Melbourne's Skybus.

Adelaide? A tenth of the price. Bargain.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rubberman

#407 Post by rubberman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:24 pm

I'll have to ride it to see what the fuss is about.

On the one hand, it's just a bus. It's not like a bus to Adelaide Airport is a new idea.

On the other hand, why the negative comments? It's only a renter. So if it doesn't work, big deal, we just don't extend the lease. If it works, then we can extend the concept maybe.

Good to see the government trying different things.

Llessur2002

#408 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:10 pm

Skybus is fine - nothing too out of the ordinary, just an articulated bus with luggage racks and TV screens for tourism videos. Once you get to the city you can interchange to get a smaller bus to most CBD hotels. I think the advantage lies within its regularity - every 10 mins I think from directly outside of the terminal.

However, it is surprisingly expensive - an adult return is $30. If there are more than two of you then it's almost worth paying a bit extra to get a taxi directly to your hotel in order to save the time spent changing bus for the hotel connection.

The Adelaide Jetbus seems like a great idea - and what's the harm in a trial? Yes, the frequency might not be as good as Melbourne but passenger numbers are lower. Plus, if this trial works well then presumably further buses could be added to the route and a more regular service introduced. The double-decker option is something a bit different (I'm 34 and I still secretly get a bit excited when I get to ride on one :banana: ) and as long as there's ample luggage space downstairs then it gets my vote.

I flew back into Adelaide on a Monday morning a couple of weeks ago and took the bus into the CBD for work. Cost me $3.39 and took about 20 minutes. That's pretty good value in my book. Plus, if the Jetbus was non-stop then you'd almost rival a taxi in terms of journey time and save enough money for lunch when you get into the city.

I do agree that the bus terminal (a grand word I know for what is essentially a traffic island) at the airport is a little out of the way and uninviting - it's largely hidden behind the taxi rank and you tend to get hammered by wind blowing across the airfield. It would be good to bring it closer to the terminal as per Melbourne (perhaps make some use of the old ramp?) and make it more appealing but all in all that's a minor issue.

I'm all for a light rail link to the airport eventually (although unless we can do both I prefer the slightly longer but more attractive/vibrant Henley Beach Road route over the uninviting but direct Sir D.B. Drive route) but this seems like a good alternative in the meantime.

Looking forward to this addition to Adelaide's transport network.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#409 Post by Phantom » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:00 am

I'm actually loving the fact that not only will we have this, but it will also be made in Australia! :D
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#410 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:28 pm

This is a brilliant concept - all the benefits of Skybus (plus the added benefit of no additional shuttle bus to the hotel) at a fraction of the price. Hopefully it's a success and more of the buses come on board.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#411 Post by Phantom » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 pm

The double decker is now out and about on the roads. :D

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#412 Post by MessiahAndrw » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:59 pm

Phantom wrote:The double decker is now out and about on the roads. :D
Awesome! Care to share some pics please?
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#413 Post by Phantom » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:35 pm

From the ABC's website: (This is the livery it's using)
I'll try and snap a picture of it in its natural habitat of Victoria Square soon. :P

The Scooter Guy

#414 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Take a look at the double-decker pics taken on my first ride!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthesc ... 559452730/
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#415 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:18 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Take a look at the double-decker pics taken on my first ride!
Some fantastic pics, and those photos are anything to go by, this bus is a fantastic addition to the fleet. I actually want to get the bus to the airport now!

ChillyPhilly

#416 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:44 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:Take a look at the double-decker pics taken on my first ride!
Some fantastic pics, and those photos are anything to go by, this bus is a fantastic addition to the fleet. I actually want to get the bus to the airport now!
Echoing what Brucetiki said! Great photos Scooter Guy. Is there enough baggage space on board for x number of people? For some reason I was expecting to see an overhead baggage storage rack.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

david.c-s
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#417 Post by david.c-s » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Glad it happened must have a chuckle that this is a big deal just moved to Sydney and I watch this style used for standard routes cruising down the M1 outside my office everyday
Using Tapatalk

PeFe

#418 Post by PeFe » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Interesting article on Adelaide bus routes/passenger numbers.

http://www.news.com.au/national/the-bus ... 7388861472

[Shuz]

#419 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:09 pm

Looking at that data, it makes sense for trams to run down The Parade and Goodwood Road, to absorb the sheer passenger volumes travelled along these routes.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rubberman

#420 Post by rubberman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:31 pm

Interesting figures for buses there.

For comparison: Adelaide, Population 1.25million, 50 million passenger boardings per year (excluding suburban trains).
Prague, Population 1.25 million, 1 Billion passenger boardings per year (excluding suburban trains).

That's NOT a criticism in any way. Merely an indication of the potential traffic that could be carried by PT if the system were there to be used.