News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#721 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:01 am

PeFe wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:16 am
Proposal for removal of bus stops on The Parade
https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... oposal.pdf

Proposal for removal of bus stops on Grange Road

Proposal for removal of bus stops on South Road

Proposal for removal of bus stops on Magill Road
While they're at it, paint bus lanes. It's cheap and it makes buses much faster. There is no need for light rail if they do this.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#722 Post by ml69 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:19 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:01 am
PeFe wrote:

While they're at it, paint bus lanes. It's cheap and it makes buses much faster. There is no need for light rail if they do this.
I’d support bus lanes from the National Wine Centre to the Magill/Portrush Rd intersection (perfect time to do it when they widen the intersection over the next few years).

This is a very busy bus route with great frequency (5 min frequency in peak) but is slowed down by the volume of traffic. I live near Burnside Village but choose to catch a bus on Magill Rd into the city because the frequency means I can just turn up and go with minimal waiting. It’s faster and more reliable than catching a bus on Greenhill Rd when waiting time is included.

TrebleSketch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#723 Post by TrebleSketch » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:56 pm

ml69 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:19 am
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
PeFe wrote:

I’d support bus lanes from the National Wine Centre to the Magill/Portrush Rd intersection (perfect time to do it when they widen the intersection over the next few years).

This is a very busy bus route with great frequency (5 min frequency in peak) but is slowed down by the volume of traffic. I live near Burnside Village but choose to catch a bus on Magill Rd into the city because the frequency means I can just turn up and go with minimal waiting. It’s faster and more reliable than catching a bus on Greenhill Rd when waiting time is included.
This would be nice! Though I do think about how will they be able to put in an additional lane between NWC and North Tce/Payneham Rd/Magill Rd/Fullarton Rd? It would be definitely nice to add a bus lane along that section!

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#724 Post by Eurostar » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:33 pm

TrebleSketch wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:56 pm
ml69 wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:

This would be nice! Though I do think about how will they be able to put in an additional lane between NWC and North Tce/Payneham Rd/Magill Rd/Fullarton Rd? It would be definitely nice to add a bus lane along that section!
The North Terrace (Kent Town) could be changed so in morning peak its bus lane, all vehicles lane, all vehicles lane in citybound direction and all vehicles lane in outbound direction. During interpeak it could be as it is now. Afternoon peak it switches to bus lane, all vehicles lane car lane outbound and all vehicles lane citybound.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#725 Post by ml69 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:16 am

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:33 pm
TrebleSketch wrote:
ml69 wrote:

The North Terrace (Kent Town) could be changed so in morning peak its bus lane, all vehicles lane, all vehicles lane in citybound direction and all vehicles lane in outbound direction. During interpeak it could be as it is now. Afternoon peak it switches to bus lane, all vehicles lane car lane outbound and all vehicles lane citybound.
Very good suggestion, but what about right-turning traffic? Eg cars travelling citybound, but turning right into St Peters College in the morning?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#726 Post by Eurostar » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:53 am

ml69 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:16 am
Eurostar wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:33 pm
TrebleSketch wrote:

Very good suggestion, but what about right-turning traffic? Eg cars travelling citybound, but turning right into St Peters College in the morning?
Ideally all right turns on this section should be banned during morning and afternoon peak as it just stuffs up traffic flow

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#727 Post by Eurostar » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:15 am

All we've seen under Liberals is cuts to bus services and proposals to cut bus stops. I actually recall SA Labor were doing so well increasing patronage that they had to lease buses from interstate to keep up with demand. Whilst interest rates are low the current government should replace those buses from the 90s, invest in bus lanes/priority, invest in our bus network I.e. Virginia is growing and could do with a local loop service and more 900s, include the Barossa in the Adelaide Metro ticketing system, also areas like Woodside and Lobethal could do with increase of the 834 services.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#728 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:47 pm

On-Demand Bus Services.
On-Demand bus services operate in Gawler, and are on trial in Mt Barker and the Barossa Valley.
https://adelaidemetro.com.au/Timetables ... s-Services
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#729 Post by Eurostar » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:10 pm

I feel the Metroticket/Metrocard should be expanded into rural areas close to Adelaide I.e Victor Harbor and Barossa.

A route let's call it 1700 from Adelaide to Victor Harbor via Southern Expressway and Victor Harbor Road, the above route on a regular basis (hourly maximum wait) could prove popular especially during the summer and reduce congestion on the Victor Harbor Road

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#730 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:25 pm

Yeah I think the private operators who have a monopoly on that service, with their price gouging and shit service and service agreement/contract with the government will have a big massive whinge and call in the lawyers about something like that.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#731 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:24 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:15 am
All we've seen under Liberals is cuts to bus services and proposals to cut bus stops. I actually recall SA Labor were doing so well increasing patronage that they had to lease buses from interstate to keep up with demand. Whilst interest rates are low the current government should replace those buses from the 90s, invest in bus lanes/priority, invest in our bus network I.e. Virginia is growing and could do with a local loop service and more 900s, include the Barossa in the Adelaide Metro ticketing system, also areas like Woodside and Lobethal could do with increase of the 834 services.
Agree with this, except I think they should work on replacing the buses from the 80s before moving on to replace the buses from the 90s. One of these days my 80s era G20/G21/G22x is going to blow up while crawling up Flagstaff Rd at 5km/h and it's going to ruin my evening.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#732 Post by PD2/20 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:24 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:15 am
Agree with this, except I think they should work on replacing the buses from the 80s before moving on to replace the buses from the 90s. One of these days my 80s era G20/G21/G22x is going to blow up while crawling up Flagstaff Rd at 5km/h and it's going to ruin my evening.
For quite a few years AdMet/DPTI have been retiring buses when they reach 25 years of service. The oldest buses in the fleet entered service in 1995 and will retired this year.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#733 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:41 am

There are no more buses from the 80s... They should not be on the road more than 25 years, making the oldest bus from 1995. All buses are now air-conditioned and 98% are wheelchair accessible.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#734 Post by Spotto » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:57 am

Priority should definitely be retiring the last few buses that aren’t wheelchair accessible. But even for fully-abled people those stairs at the front doors are extremely narrow and the manually-operated rear doors are getting harder to open. And they’re so slow up hills.

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#735 Post by rubberman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:28 pm

Also, while we're at it, may I put my hand up for modern fast loading 3 door buses.

We had 3 door loading in the days of bus conductors, and European (outside the UK) practice is pretty much 100% low floor, 3 door loading for non-artics, and up to 5 doors for artics.

These modern buses load and unload fast. That not only speeds up the trip, but reduces the number of actual stopping places required in the CBD.