News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#811 Post by Modbury_Man » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:47 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 pm
Reading that last post.....why not make the 19 a 8 minute daytime frequency and then make the 20 run from Marion to Old Reynella only.

Why is the point of having 2 different bus routes?
I think the 19 and 20 are one combined Go Zone - they will each run every 30 minutes on weekdays which leads to a 15 minute frequency on the Go Zone from the City to the top of Ocean Boulevarde (noting that the route 8 - former 241 route - now will cover the form 720 route on Sir Donald Bradman Drive and South Rd north of Anzac Hwy).

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#812 Post by Modbury_Man » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:06 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:16 pm
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 55363&z=12

Map of the redesigned bus network (everything speculative), will be completed and updated in the next few days
Awesome map Ginzahikari! Can't wait to see the final version!

Other members here may have different thoughts, but some other ideas I was pondering were -
1) I think Route 51 (former 361) won't use Nelson Rd/Flockhart Tce now as that is well serviced with the new Route 5 Go Zone - I would say the Route 51 will continue east up Grand Junction Rd to service either North East Rd or Reservoir Rd to TTP - to replace the now defunct 271 or 507 services?
2) Would the 50 Suburban Connector go via the QEH still and the 60 continue down Port Rd to East Tce?
3) I thought that the 52 would be a replacement for the 542 route and therefore will go via North East Rd, Elizabeth St etc instead of Smart Rd and Hancock Rd?
4) It was mentioned on the BusAustralia forum that route 60C may be a replacement for the J1 bus in Glenelg North and West Beach and link up with route 60 at the Airport - this would align with the trend about removing buses that run parallel to train/tram lines (i.e. Salisbury Hwy 224 bus removed, Port Rd 150/157 buses removed, Anzac Hwy 263/5 removed, 195/6 in Belair removed)

Also it seems like less buses are serving the RAH/Health Precinct now? I presume one or more of the Obahn routes may terminate there still?

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#813 Post by Modbury_Man » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:19 pm

Also Route 11 could be the one that fills the gap on the map on The Parade up St Bernards Rd. I don't think that there will be a 273 route bus replacement on North East Rd as the new route 5 will be a Go Zone in its own right.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#814 Post by PeFe » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:38 pm

I am hoping that the Airport Go Zone will go straight down Richmond Road following the J1X route.

The current airport buses constantly get stuck in the South Rd traffic, lets get them out of there.

Also the proposed 60c serving West Beach......for a start lets not use any letters unless entirely necessary.....lets call it 63 for arguments sake.

Why not make this a fulltime Glenelg-Airport service with 30 minute frequencies during the day and 60 minutes at night.

Yes its a little inconvenient transferring at Adelaide Airport to city services, but with appropriate timetabling the journey would not be too painfull.

This way the residents of West Beach and Glenelg North (not big public transport users is my guess) still have reasonable access to the network.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#815 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:47 pm
PeFe wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 pm
Reading that last post.....why not make the 19 a 8 minute daytime frequency and then make the 20 run from Marion to Old Reynella only.

Why is the point of having 2 different bus routes?
I think the 19 and 20 are one combined Go Zone - they will each run every 30 minutes on weekdays which leads to a 15 minute frequency on the Go Zone from the City to the top of Ocean Boulevarde (noting that the route 8 - former 241 route - now will cover the form 720 route on Sir Donald Bradman Drive and South Rd north of Anzac Hwy).
It was announced in the press release by the Minister that there would be a Go-Zone from the City via Henley Beach Road and Marion Road, replacing part of H20 and part of J7/J8 and 245 service along Morphett Road to Marion Shopping Centre.
There would be another Go-Zone from the City via Beckman Street, Towers Terrace and Hendrie Street (replacing part of 241 and 248 routes) to Marion Centre.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#816 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:41 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:19 pm
Also Route 11 could be the one that fills the gap on the map on The Parade up St Bernards Rd. I don't think that there will be a 273 route bus replacement on North East Rd as the new route 5 will be a Go Zone in its own right.
Route 19 will travel up the Parade and continue along Penfold Road and St Bernards Road to Rostrevor.
Route 11 replaces Route 273 Paradise Interchange-City-Kilburn.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#817 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:06 pm
ginzahikari wrote:

Map of the redesigned bus network (everything speculative), will be completed and updated in the next few days

Other members here may have different thoughts, but some other ideas I was pondering were -
1) I think Route 51 (former 361) won't use Nelson Rd/Flockhart Tce now as that is well serviced with the new Route 5 Go Zone - I would say the Route 51 will continue east up Grand Junction Rd to service either North East Rd or Reservoir Rd to TTP - to replace the now defunct 271 or 507 services?
2) Would the 50 Suburban Connector go via the QEH still and the 60 continue down Port Rd to East Tce?
3) I thought that the 52 would be a replacement for the 542 route and therefore will go via North East Rd, Elizabeth St etc instead of Smart Rd and Hancock Rd?
4) It was mentioned on the BusAustralia forum that route 60C may be a replacement for the J1 bus in Glenelg North and West Beach and link up with route 60 at the Airport - this would align with the trend about removing buses that run parallel to train/tram lines (i.e. Salisbury Hwy 224 bus removed, Port Rd 150/157 buses removed, Anzac Hwy 263/5 removed, 195/6 in Belair removed)

Also it seems like less buses are serving the RAH/Health Precinct now? I presume one or more of the Obahn routes may terminate there still?
I would guess.
Yes you would be correct in assuming one of the O-Bahn services would go via RAH. Could be one of Routes 1,2,or 3 as they appear to be the only full-time routes on the O-Bahn to the City from Golden Grove,TTP and Paradise Interchange.
As for assuming Route 60C would go via Glenelg North and West Beach , it would have to continue to City(replacement for J1 and 163 services). Having the C prefix could mean it is a peak hour service on weekdays?

265 services removed from Anzac Highway and City. It will become route 63 Marion-Brighton Station-Glenelg.

263 will become Route 16(Go-Zone) and will continue to serve Anzac Highway to the City.
Doesn't appear to be any service between Belair and Mitcham?
Last edited by adelaide transport on Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#818 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:05 pm

It looks better than before, but there's no pattern to the numbers. If they're doing a re-numbering, why not give the routes a pattern? For example, east-west buses are even numbered, north-south are odd numbered.
adelaide transport wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm
Port Adeliade-Largs-North Haven-Outer Harbour will also have an On-Demand Service.
They could extend route 51 from Port Adelaide to Semaphore. That way there would be a huge east-west route in a straight line.
PeFe wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:38 pm
I am hoping that the Airport Go Zone will go straight down Richmond Road following the J1X route.

The current airport buses constantly get stuck in the South Rd traffic, lets get them out of there.
Or a Keswick Creek O-Bahn, that would really speed up Airport services. 8)

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#819 Post by Spotto » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:24 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:05 pm
It looks better than before, but there's no pattern to the numbers. If they're doing a re-numbering, why not give the routes a pattern? For example, east-west buses are even numbered, north-south are odd numbered.
Not a bad idea. Would make wayfinding much easier if you're trying to navigate the network.

Some of the current bus numbers are arranged into sets to tell you what main road they use: G-numbered routes on Goodwood Road, 7-numbered on South Road, and 15-numbered on Port Road come to mind. Some sort of easy-on-the-commuter organising for the new system is needed.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#820 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:27 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:56 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:35 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:58 am
G20 back to 218
G21 back to 212
G22 back to 219
These are the buses I use to get into and out of the city each day, and it looks like they won't exist anymore if I'm reading that list right. So I'll be up to 3 bus trips to work, 3 bus trips home each day, as I catch the Obahn up to TTP after reaching Grenfell.
It looks like this will become one of the intermodal routes. At the moment the G20/G21/G22 run Aberfoyle Hub to Flinders then on to Goody Road into town, the 320 runs Aberfoyle to Flinders to Marion S/C. The proposed replacement routes from Aberfoyle all go via Flinders with one express bus to Flinders:
  • 64 Aberfoyle Hub – Marion
  • 64X Aberfoyle Hub – Flinders
  • 65 Marion – Blackwood – Aberfoyle Hub
  • 66 Marion – Aberfoyle Hub
In the next few months Flinders train station should be up and running. Presuming you live in Aberfoyle/Flagstaff, instead of taking one bus all the way into town you'll instead have a short bus trip to Flinders, train into town, then walk/tram down to Currie-Grenfell and hop on a TTP O-Bahn bus. You'll have an extra mode transfer each journey but on the plus side you'll now have an express bus option to Flinders and a faster journey into town on the train.

As someone who lives in the area I've been waiting for Flinders train station to open so that I can do precisely this.
You know I completely forgot about the train. Makes sense in theory, but the single line might make the timing a bit rough, especially given the earliest start times I can be assigned (my earliest has me on the first G20 of the morning by 5:40am). I guess we'll see how it turns out.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#821 Post by adelaide transport » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:49 pm

The new Flinders Link service would have to be every 15 minutes from 700am to 700 pm weekdays otherwise passengers from Aberfoyle Park and Flagstaff Hill won't use the new service?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#822 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:34 am

adelaide transport wrote:The new Flinders Link service would have to be every 15 minutes from 700am to 700 pm weekdays otherwise passengers from Aberfoyle Park and Flagstaff Hill won't use the new service?
I really don't it will be every 15 minutes outside of peak. It will most likely be every 30 minutes. 20 minutes at most.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#823 Post by ginzahikari » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:09 am

Modbury_Man wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:06 pm
ginzahikari wrote:

1. You're right with that one, I'll get it changed.
2. I don't know, but assuming the current J7 and J8 goes to the Airport via Findon Rd, I've routed route 50 to go via Holbrooks Rd instead.
3. Yes I'll get that changed.
4. True, there's no service to West Beach at the moment, but Anzac Hwy is indicated as a Go Zone along its whole length. There's also a new Go Zone along Port Rd (former 150 / 157) so not all buses running parallel to train lines will be removed.
5. Route 11 - got that fixed.
6. From the Adelaide Metro website they stated that the Go Zone to Rostrevor will run via Glynburn Rd instead.
7. I purely made up what is going to be route 61 since the only bus that runs between Pt Adelaide and West Lakes is the 117, which is replaced by route 60.

Thank you for all the feedback!

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#824 Post by adelaide transport » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:29 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:27 pm
Spotto wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:56 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:35 pm

These are the buses I use to get into and out of the city each day, and it looks like they won't exist anymore if I'm reading that list right. So I'll be up to 3 bus trips to work, 3 bus trips home each day, as I catch the Obahn up to TTP after reaching Grenfell.
It looks like this will become one of the intermodal routes. At the moment the G20/G21/G22 run Aberfoyle Hub to Flinders then on to Goody Road into town, the 320 runs Aberfoyle to Flinders to Marion S/C. The proposed replacement routes from Aberfoyle all go via Flinders with one express bus to Flinders:
  • 64 Aberfoyle Hub – Marion
  • 64X Aberfoyle Hub – Flinders
  • 65 Marion – Blackwood – Aberfoyle Hub
  • 66 Marion – Aberfoyle Hub
In the next few months Flinders train station should be up and running. Presuming you live in Aberfoyle/Flagstaff, instead of taking one bus all the way into town you'll instead have a short bus trip to Flinders, train into town, then walk/tram down to Currie-Grenfell and hop on a TTP O-Bahn bus. You'll have an extra mode transfer each journey but on the plus side you'll now have an express bus option to Flinders and a faster journey into town on the train.

As someone who lives in the area I've been waiting for Flinders train station to open so that I can do precisely this.
You know I completely forgot about the train. Makes sense in theory, but the single line might make the timing a bit rough, especially given the earliest start times I can be assigned (my earliest has me on the first G20 of the morning by 5:40am). I guess we'll see how it turns out.

The Aberfoyle Hub is a high frequency service served by G20F/G21X and G22X in morning peaks with a bus departing every 5 minutes between 647am and 747am. They would need to supply a similar frequency on the new 64X to Flinders Link Station.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#825 Post by TorrensSA » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:48 pm

It looks like they will be removing the 265 and 263 and running a 262 / N262 renumbered as a 63. I wonder if it will go via Glenelg and Brighton or bypass both. So no buses via King George and Dunrobin, also getting rid of the messy bus routes in Seacliff.