News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

Re: New OBahn artic?

#181 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:27 pm

jk1237 wrote:I think the signalling systems for rail cost a lot to run too.

I took a tram from South Tce to Rundle Mall today, and it stopped at every traffic light possible, including cars turning right blocking the tram at K W st south. Far out I probably could have walked quicker. Priorities please! The tram is last on the list.

Trams first, then cars
a little off topic but: I think the traffic lights on KWS should automatically change when the trams approach (similar to how the fire trucks operate), it might make it possible for trams to go from South Tce to North Tce in 3-5mins :wink:

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#182 Post by AG » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:42 pm

Düsseldorfer wrote:
jk1237 wrote:I think the signalling systems for rail cost a lot to run too.

I took a tram from South Tce to Rundle Mall today, and it stopped at every traffic light possible, including cars turning right blocking the tram at K W st south. Far out I probably could have walked quicker. Priorities please! The tram is last on the list.

Trams first, then cars
a little off topic but: I think the traffic lights on KWS should automatically change when the trams approach (similar to how the fire trucks operate), it might make it possible for trams to go from South Tce to North Tce in 3-5mins :wink:
Easier said than done. The traffic signals are manually overridden during the need to allow quick movement for emergency services, otherwise they are automatic. The only intersections where the signalling sequence really is an issue slowing down the trams are the intersection of KWS and North Terrace, Gouger Street southbound only, and occasionally the entrance to the tramway corridor at South Terrace. At all the other intersections trams have the same amount of green time as other traffic, if not, marginally less time. Changing the KWS/North Terrace intersection to prioritise trams could pose a challenge without seriously congesting the approaches for cars to the intersection. The existing shared tram/car lane in KWS south of Victoria Square should really be changed to a tram only lane, and this would allow the southbound signalling sequences to be altered.

Mr.Frodo
Donating Member
Donating Member

#183 Post by Mr.Frodo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:14 pm

So - to dig up an old thread - does anyone have any further info on the new obahn artic?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#184 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:55 am

Apparently the Scanias are on order and will start to arrive in July/August. Not sure how reliable that information is though.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#185 Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 pm

There are new Artics coming.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#186 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Norman wrote:Apparently the Scanias are on order and will start to arrive in July/August. Not sure how reliable that information is though.
Or how reliable the vehicles, I thought they failed the trial?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#187 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:13 pm

They scraped through I guess. Mercedes would probably do it better (as they did design the original buses), but apparently the state government can't (or doesn't want to) afford them.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#188 Post by Shuz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:53 pm

I personally hope the whole thing fails. Heavy rail FTW!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#189 Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:26 pm

Shuz wrote:I personally hope the whole thing fails. Heavy rail FTW!
Yet you like trams. hmmmm

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#190 Post by AtD » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:38 am

Cutting off your nose to spite your face, there, Shuz.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#191 Post by bm7500 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:42 pm

A pretty thoughtless comment really.

Why replace the well established and flexible O-Bahn system with an inflexible and significantly more costly rail line :roll:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#192 Post by Cruise » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:10 pm

bm7500 wrote:
Why replace the well established and flexible O-Bahn system with an inflexible and significantly more costly rail line :roll:
cos teh trainz r kool

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

News & Discussion: Buses

#193 Post by Norman » Tue May 12, 2009 10:04 pm

From AdelaideNow: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html.
AdelaideNow wrote:MORE than 50 new jobs will be created by a new contract for 160 new Adelaide Metro buses to be built locally, says the State Government.

The Transport Department has awarded the contract to Australian company Custom Coaches, which will build the buses at its Royal Park plant.

The $118 million deal will replace 120 buses from the existing fleet and provide another 40 extra buses over the next four years.

Manufacturing will begin this month and the first bus is expected to be completed in July.

Custom Coaches will build low-floor bus bodies and assemble seats, doors, windows, air conditioning and security cameras on to Swedish-made chassis assembled at Scania Australia's Adelaide plant at Wingfield.

Premier Mike Rann said the deal was "a very good local jobs story".

"Not only will this contract employ an additional 46 manufacturing staff and create five new apprenticeships ... it will (also) deliver new state-of-the-art green buses to our network," he said.

The diesel-powered buses will comply with the latest Euro 5 Plus Enhanced Environmentally-friendly Vehicle exhaust emissions standards, which do not come into effect in Australia until 2011.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the buses would delivered far lower emissions than the current minimum enforced in Australia.

"Many of the buses in this new contract will be high capacity, articulated vehicles, which will run on the popular O-Bahn," he said.

Custom Coaches chief executive Mark Burgess said the contract would have a flow-on effect for other local businesses.

"If we create 50 new jobs there will be about 150 jobs created out in the community - jobs supplying the parts we need to build buses ... we're shifting work from other states into South Australia," he said.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Cross suburban bus routes

#194 Post by Aidan » Fri May 22, 2009 12:21 am

On the Extension plans for Tonsley and Noarlunga lines thread
fabricator wrote: Tonsley has the 600-601 bus for example which is an east west route, Blackwood station to Tonsley via Flinders Uni and Hospital. Slow enough but then continues to Oaklands (Noarlunga train), Glenelg (tram) and then all the way to West Beach. What is with the obsession the government in this state have with making important connecting buses for trains/major shopping center etc, into insanely long routes which never keep to the timetable ???
Long routes have that disadvantage, but they also have significant advantages. For a start they attract a lot more passengers, as they give a one seat ride to a lot more places.

The route actually used to be longer - most of it was part of the 340 from Marino Rocks to Port Adelaide! But they found Flinders was a more important destination for passengers.

Since then it's connected to the City via Grange, but as this route was slow and indirect it wasn't surprising they split it. Even so, the current northern terminus is IMO too insignificant - it would be better to extend it to West Lakes.

As for the terminus at the southern end of the route, Blackwood isn't much further than Flinders, and extending this route up there removes the need for a separate route to overlap it between Marion and Flinders, so fewer buses are required for the same level of service.

Shorter bus routes are usually more reliable, but that doesn't mean it's always better to have shorter bus routes.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Cross suburban bus routes

#195 Post by Norman » Fri May 22, 2009 10:21 am

Apparently the old 340 is coming back in the next set of changes. Not sure how accurate that is though.