News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#856 Post by adelaide transport » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:52 pm

I heard a rumour that an "Enhanced" Saturday timetable could possibly be introduced on our Public Transport Network on Weekdays commencing Monday 27th April(day of schools returning). I imagine this might involve additional peak hour services on some routes, addition of some weekday routes that don't operate at weekends, and of course some school runs
As yet nothing has been officially announced to the general public or put on Adelaide Metro website.
Last edited by adelaide transport on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#857 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Looks like the transition of routes between contractors is already taking place.

I noticed a Torrens Transit bus was operating a 224X this evening.

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#858 Post by Modbury_Man » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:56 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:34 pm
Looks like the transition of routes between contractors is already taking place.

I believe that this is due to the Gawler Rail line train substitute buses being in place, that the bus fleet (all Government owned anyhow) has had some swaps between depots occur in order to adequately service the required number of train substitute buses.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#859 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:12 am

Modbury_Man wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:56 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:34 pm

I believe that this is due to the Gawler Rail line train substitute buses being in place, that the bus fleet (all Government owned anyhow) has had some swaps between depots occur in order to adequately service the required number of train substitute buses.
That makes sense. I noticed one of the regional LinkSA buses doing a bustitute service this morning as well.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#860 Post by Eurostar » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 am

They should of just brought back some of the recently decomissioned MAN SL202 buses and did a 6 month rail closure.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#861 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:31 pm

Eurostar wrote:They should of just brought back some of the recently decomissioned MAN SL202 buses and did a 6 month rail closure.
Why? Most of the electrification work can be done overnight. We don't need any more long term rail closures.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#862 Post by Spotto » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Norman wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:31 pm
Eurostar wrote:They should of just brought back some of the recently decomissioned MAN SL202 buses and did a 6 month rail closure.
Why? Most of the electrification work can be done overnight. We don't need any more long term rail closures.
I think right now while the majority of people are isolating and patronage is lower is the perfect time for longer closures to smash out any works. As the virus winds down and things slowly return to normal works can transition to primarily night closures.

Yes there are still people who need the Gawler Line right now, but doing major closures now will benefit everyone in the long run.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#863 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:29 pm

Spotto wrote:
Norman wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:31 pm
I think right now while the majority of people are isolating and patronage is lower is the perfect time for longer closures to smash out any works. As the virus winds down and things slowly return to normal works can transition to primarily night closures.

Yes there are still people who need the Gawler Line right now, but doing major closures now will benefit everyone in the long run.
Unfortunately most contracts like this are not very flexible. Contracts would have already been drawn up for substitute buses, materials scheduled to be delivered at certain times and so forth. You would also need more workers to work the multiple daily shifts if you want to get the job done faster.

There are also a lot of essential workers going to the city and travelling between suburbs during peak hour. I don't think any of them would want to their 30 minute train ride to turn into an hour or more on a bus for 6 months.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#864 Post by adelaide transport » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:06 am

adelaide transport wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:52 pm
I heard a rumour that an "Enhanced" Saturday timetable could possibly be introduced on our Public Transport Network on Weekdays commencing Monday 27th April(day of schools returning). I imagine this might involve additional peak hour services on some routes, addition of some weekday routes that don't operate at weekends, and of course some school runs
As yet nothing has been officially announced to the general public or put on Adelaide Metro website.
Any plans for reduced weekday services have now put on hold.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#865 Post by Spotto » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Thinking on the livery for the next-gen Precision-Bustech fleet I think it's an alright design. I never liked the yellow around the destination board on the old livery, it felt tacked on with no purpose, but extending it further back along the top makes it feel like it belongs.

But something was just irking me about the design on the front until I figured out it was the part under the window: it doesn't fit the flow of the rest of the livery. So I took the under-windscreen section from the old livery and overlaid it onto the new livery. The yellow top and front now rounds out nicely just under the windscreen and the red continues its gentle flow from the sides to the front. Also took the liberty of (badly) removing the comically large AdMet roundel.

Before:
2a1tcgivkxj41.jpg
After:
AdMet2.png

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#866 Post by PeFe » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:55 pm

I have a question? Why is the livery being changed?

I hope its not just for aesthetics sake?!

Ok if buses and trains need to be repainted then that is an opportunity to repaint livery but not if the reason is "we were bored with the old one"

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#867 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:38 pm

PeFe wrote:I have a question? Why is the livery being changed?

Ok if buses and trains need to be repainted then that is an opportunity to repaint livery but not if the reason is "we were bored with the old one"
The new livery is only being applied to new buses, none are being repainted.

The new livery was done as the chassis builder and model changed.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#868 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:09 am

PeFe wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:55 pm
I have a question? Why is the livery being changed?

Red buses go faster.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#869 Post by adelaide transport » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:40 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:48 pm
Also I presume the actual AdelaideMetro consultation will be out in the not too distant future given consultation starts in April - maybe next week?
Was due to be released this Thursday(30/4), but what I was told when I rang the info line today, that they are still working on finalising the plans for release, so unfortunately it looks like we will have to wait a little longer(this is DPTI -they don't move very fast!).

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#870 Post by Modbury_Man » Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:40 pm
Modbury_Man wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:48 pm
Also I presume the actual AdelaideMetro consultation will be out in the not too distant future given consultation starts in April - maybe next week?
Was due to be released this Thursday(30/4), but what I was told when I rang the info line today, that they are still working on finalising the plans for release, so unfortunately it looks like we will have to wait a little longer(this is DPTI -they don't move very fast!).
I rang the AdMet info line yesterday and they said the consultation info should be up today on the special AdMet website. I've looked everywhere and the only info I can find still relates to the news announcement about the new network from 10 March 2020. Anyone know where I can find out more about the new network or details on particular new routes etc?