News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#886 Post by SBD » Mon May 25, 2020 1:01 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:56 am
Tonsley213 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:18 pm
adelaide transport wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:45 am
According to the article in today's Advertiser the details of the new Bus Network for Public Consultation release has now been delayed until the end of June to allow the Government and SAPTA to assess the effects of COVID-19 on the future patterns of Public Transport, especially with more people working from home.
What an excuse...
A poor one at that.

This 'On Demand' idea is a dangerous one, as it favours those who have no mobility issues. This does not bode well for an ageing population. If the demand for 'On Demand' drops to zero, coupled with a private contract, where does that leave transport options for the elderly, people with mobility issues or people with disabilities who cannot drive?

Certainly, I am in favour of overhauling the bus network to provide improved cross-suburban travel, but taking measures such as above is not an excuse for a Liberal Party political agenda.
If the demand drops to zero, then either that community doesn't need it, or it fails to meet their needs in some other respect (such as being able to get on and off of the bus).

My understanding for the Gawler version is that it is to provide some service initially, then expand. The initial service can serve to develop a market (people don't move to a place or sell their car before the alternative exists). It can also serve to identify where in the area actually provides the demand, so that permanent routes go where tehy are needed most.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#887 Post by kymbosa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:56 am

More cuts are coming!! Public transport in 18mths is going to be cut so heavily it won’t look the same and wont be the same.

Hidden behind the paywall, if any one has it please post, so we can see which areas are effected.
45B203B2-4192-4A49-9ED1-53B95C47C2C5.jpeg

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#888 Post by Modbury_Man » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:15 am

All the details are on the AdelaideMetro website now

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#889 Post by kymbosa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:38 am

Modbury_Man wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:15 am
Where? I have looked and not found anything.

What I did find is this report on it -

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2813029/

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#890 Post by Modbury_Man » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:50 am

kymbosa wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:38 am
Modbury_Man wrote:

Link to AdMet consultation site - https://dpti.sa.gov.au/new_public_transport_network

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#891 Post by kymbosa » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:08 am

Modbury_Man wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:50 am
kymbosa wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:38 am
Modbury_Man wrote:

Link to AdMet consultation site - https://dpti.sa.gov.au/new_public_transport_network
Thanks. I was looking on my phone and couldn’t find the link. On the laptop, found. 👍

So many cuts and not in a good way!! 🤬🤬🤬

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#892 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:14 am

What a dog’s breakfast, especially all the route number changes. Changing route numbers to numbers already used in the area, but on a totally different route (half of route 400 being replaced with 411, for example) is going to cause all sorts of confusion.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#893 Post by Honey of a City » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:59 am

Under this plan my local service goes from the current 50 minute direct service to the city to a “connector” service via West Lakes. i.e. changing buses (commuter poison). If DIPTI is using low patronage as an excuse they haven’t factored in that current patronage is low due to the ridiculous current goat track routing and travel time, which will only increase under the plan. So much for ‘faster” and “more direct” services - quite the opposite.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#894 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:41 pm

It's bizarre, the 300 misses Henley now but they add more of a dog leg in West Beach. It's all just weird, half the night buses are gone. Lot's of routes gone, some routes that should be a Go Zone are only "connectors" - removing multiple routes and replacing them all with a "connector" is crap, a lot of these "connectors" should be Go Zones. Why bother making a 322 when theres a new Go Zone 23 so close, the 23 could just go via Brighton Station, they keep that part of the 265 and make a Go Zone like 200m away and remove other routes and make you walk 500m+. The 322 should go and be merged into the 23 and then extend the 23 to Flinders. Some of the changes are just odd.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#895 Post by SRW » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:56 pm

It's almost like it's a bus service designed by people who don't catch public transport and have disdain for those that do.
Keep Adelaide Weird

PeFe

#896 Post by PeFe » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:32 pm

Here is a link to the Adelaide Metro website again

https://dpti.sa.gov.au/new_public_transport_network

PeFe

#897 Post by PeFe » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:44 pm

I gotta say after flicking through a lot of the routes, changes etc....I like what I see.

I know there will be winners and losers in all of this but there is a lot to like..

The simplified route numbers and simplified routes is great, the new numbering system is logical and the distinctions between the go-zones and the local/connector buses is good. Yes some people are going to have to transfer to another bus or train but that really is not unexpected. Public transport is expensive to run and if you are lucky you get back 30% of total costs from the fare box. And public transport in low density sprawls is also difficult and expensive.

I was looking at the new Route 19 for example.....clever combination of frequent CBD service mixed with cross suburb travel at either end.
(Go-Zone along Henley Heach Road and then north up Seaview Road to West Lakes so a city bus, a coastal bus and a shopping/services bus. The other end a frequent along The Parade then a cross suburban service from Rosslyn Park to Paradise providing connections to numerous other bus services)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#898 Post by Norman » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:03 pm

Yes, the new numbering system is good, and I'm happy with how they organised that. However, a lot of suburban connectors will be missed. Some areas lose their public transport completely.

I am also unhappy with the loss of most of the night buses... I have used them often in the past, even though I had to walk an extra 15 minutes to get home from the nearest route. Now it will be more like an extra 30 minute walk. Or, pay the price for an Uber or Taxi.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#899 Post by Spotto » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:12 pm

I can only speak for the Aberfoyle and Blackwood areas for local buses but all of the routes in this area are near identical to the current network. The new Aberfoyle-Flinders-Marion 330 is identical to the current 320; the G22X express from Aberfoyle is now the X331 and terminates at Flinders for a bus-train transfer instead of continuing to the city via Goody Road (less conjestion, faster train journey); and the new Aberfoyle-Blackwood-Marion 332/333 are identical to the current 600/601 except it no longer continues from Aberfoyle to Reynella.

Differences are the 332/333 won't detour from Shepherds Hill Road to stop at the Resthaven retirement home like the 601 did, surely that's a bit of a kick in the gut to any independent and still-mobile residents that live there. There's also no more buses that will run the western half of Manning Road (previously the G20).

For the Free City Connector I think it's weird that it no longer runs via Jerningham Street, it delivered people right into the centre of the Melbourne Street precinct, the new section would probably only save about a minute or two travel time at most so not sure what the gain is meant to be. The Wellington-Light-Victoria Square section has also been completely removed for some reason.

PeFe

#900 Post by PeFe » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:21 pm

Norman wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:03 pm
Some areas lose their public transport completely.

I am also unhappy with the loss of most of the night buses... I have used them often in the past, even though I had to walk an extra 15 minutes to get home from the nearest route. Now it will be more like an extra 30 minute walk. Or, pay the price for an Uber or Taxi.
What parts of Adelaide will lose public transport all together?

And how many night buses have been axed? I was not looking that carefully at that, I saw a few of them had new numbers matching the daytime number.