News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Message
Author
how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1106
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1261 Post by how good is he » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:28 am

While I can see the benefit & think it should be done, is it just moving the bottlenecks down a few hundred metres on both roads? Its still going to funnel from say 3 or 4 lanes back to 2, so won't that just bank up the traffic again then anyway?

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2075
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1262 Post by Aidan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:50 pm

83% of the cost of the Gallipoli Underpass, yet with no grade separation at all!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1263 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:32 pm

Aidan wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:50 pm
83% of the cost of the Gallipoli Underpass, yet with no grade separation at all!
If a significant part of the cost is that much land acquisition, I wonder how much more it would cost to build a bridge on that land instead of a wide crossroad.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1921
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1264 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:34 pm

ml69 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:27 am
[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:45 am
Why is this even needed? This is just overkill. That money could have been so much better spent on more useful and worthy 'congestion busting' initiatives.
Have you ever driven on this section of road at peak hour? I do it every weekday.

If you have, you would understand why it’s required.

Apparently 62,000 vehicles per day use this intersection.
Like you, I have travelled this section of Portrush every day, and it's not that bad... Magill Road is worse so I'd support more lanes there but this whole plan is excessive.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2075
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1265 Post by Aidan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:18 am

ml69 wrote: Have you ever driven on this section of road at peak hour? I do it every weekday.
If it's so bad, why do you always take that route?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA
Has thanked: 121 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1266 Post by ml69 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:56 am

Aidan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:18 am
ml69 wrote: Have you ever driven on this section of road at peak hour? I do it every weekday.
If it's so bad, why do you always take that route?
Because my origin is the top of Magill Rd and destination is Queen St Norwood near the western side of the Magill Rd and Portrush Rd intersection. If it’s really backed up I’ll drive down Beulah Rd, but overall it doesn’t save much time because I have to get back to the Queen St / Magill Rd intersection anyway.

From there, I’ll park my car and bus into the city.

bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 118 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1267 Post by bits » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 am

Maybe getting Portrush Road capacity up will help when we get to linking the freeways. Eg if Cross Road had significant restrictions Portrush Road traffic would significantly increase.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2075
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1268 Post by Aidan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:40 am

ml69 wrote: Because my origin is the top of Magill Rd and destination is Queen St Norwood near the western side of the Magill Rd and Portrush Rd intersection. If it’s really backed up I’ll drive down Beulah Rd, but overall it doesn’t save much time because I have to get back to the Queen St / Magill Rd intersection anyway.

From there, I’ll park my car and bus into the city.
What would it take to get you to use the bus the entire way?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3531
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1269 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:05 pm

ml69 wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:45 am
Why is this even needed? This is just overkill. That money could have been so much better spent on more useful and worthy 'congestion busting' initiatives.
Have you ever driven on this section of road at peak hour? I do it every weekday.

If you have, you would understand why it’s required.

Apparently 62,000 vehicles per day use this intersection.
100% agree it is so overdue.

Peak hour its a standstill, well worth it. Just happens to be near expensive houses but that shouldn't deter it.

ml69
Legendary Member!
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Adelaide SA
Has thanked: 121 times
Been thanked: 91 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1270 Post by ml69 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:51 am

Aidan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:40 am
ml69 wrote: Because my origin is the top of Magill Rd and destination is Queen St Norwood near the western side of the Magill Rd and Portrush Rd intersection. If it’s really backed up I’ll drive down Beulah Rd, but overall it doesn’t save much time because I have to get back to the Queen St / Magill Rd intersection anyway.

From there, I’ll park my car and bus into the city.
What would it take to get you to use the bus the entire way?
I won’t, it’s too hard to do.

I live in St Georges, drive to Magill to drop my 2 kids to school, then have to commute into the CBD to work. Hence it is a triangular route I take each day.

Please tell me what alternatives I have?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1006
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1271 Post by Goodsy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:05 pm

ml69 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:51 am
Aidan wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:40 am
ml69 wrote: Because my origin is the top of Magill Rd and destination is Queen St Norwood near the western side of the Magill Rd and Portrush Rd intersection. If it’s really backed up I’ll drive down Beulah Rd, but overall it doesn’t save much time because I have to get back to the Queen St / Magill Rd intersection anyway.

From there, I’ll park my car and bus into the city.
What would it take to get you to use the bus the entire way?
I won’t, it’s too hard to do.

I live in St Georges, drive to Magill to drop my 2 kids to school, then have to commute into the CBD to work. Hence it is a triangular route I take each day.

Please tell me what alternatives I have?
You live in St Georges? do you want me to give you better directions or should I give it directly to your chauffeur? :lol:

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2075
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:10 am
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1272 Post by Aidan » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm

ml69 wrote: I live in St Georges, drive to Magill to drop my 2 kids to school, then have to commute into the CBD to work. Hence it is a triangular route I take each day.
So is the real problem the lack of a school bus service?
Please tell me what alternatives I have?
One that springs instantly to mind is parking somewhere east of Portrush Road so you wouldn't have to drive through the intersection.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

SBD
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1438
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 439 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: Magill/Portrush Road Intersection Upgrade | $98m

#1273 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:01 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:28 pm
Norman wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 am
Ho Really wrote:Single occupant private cars are an issue but wouldn't taking all the heavy truck traffic out first be better?

Cheers
Commercial vehicles only make up 4% of traffic on Magill Road and 7.5% of traffic on Portrush Road.

There are not many alternatives for moving freight in suburban areas.

However, there are many alternatives for single occupant cars, such as bikes, walking, public transport and car pooling. Better planning and mixed use developments are solutions in the long term.
Although not a high percentage it's the size of trucks, the speed they travel and the braking area they require to stop is what matters. I agree there isn't much of an option for alternative routes in suburban areas. With cars things can be worked out much better as you said.

Having said that they desparately need to find a solution for large intra/interstate trucks passing through the suburbs. Globelink as a central distribution point wasn't a bad idea. Its location wasn't going to solve every freight issue and was dictated more by the airport component. Perhaps they'll look at it again in 30 to 50 years time when Murray Bridge is a larger town (hopefully). In the shorter term Edinburgh would be perfect and a new RAAF base could be built at Globelink. Then only the road/rail component circumventing the hills would be required. Not sure if this was suggested in the Globelink topic, but if anyone wants to continue discussing it, cut and paste my post and quote it in that topic, as I don't want this intersection topic to go off the rails (or off road). :D

Cheers
I think that (once N-S Motorway is completely funded), the "Short South" option that was in the GlobeLink Report would be an interesting route to explore further. I think it has the potential to address a lot of the concerns about so much heavy freight using Crafers-Glen Osmond. It has the downside of building a freeway through productive farmland past quiet country towns. I don't know whether there would have been similar concerns when the SEFreeway was built between Stirling and Callington - I'm too young for firsthand memories.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1274 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Portrush/Magill Rd isn't that bad actually. I've driven enough times through there at 5pm. Things do move.

What needs to be fixed is the Marden intersection. Now that's a bottleneck.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1275 Post by Eurostar » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:14 pm

From PTP Alliance Website
. Project Overview
The Meyer Road Bridge is located in the suburb of Lonsdale, approximately 26km south of the Adelaide CBD.

The $4 million Meyer Road Bridge replacement project is being jointly funded by the Australian Government’s Bridge Renewal Program, the City of Onkaparinga Council and the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure.

Spanning the Adelaide to Seaford railway line, the Meyer Road Bridge provides a key connection between local industry, surrounding suburbs and road networks.

Works on the Meyer Road Bridge commenced the week of Monday , 10 February, and will be completed by mid-2020, weather permitting.The works include:

demolishing the majority of existing bridge structure,
building and installing new bridge structures ; and
installation of anti-throw screens and bridge barriers.
Works will be undertaken between the hours of 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday throughout the construction period.

Night works and Sunday works will be scheduled intermittently within this period. Regular project updates will be posted on this website and DPTI social media as the works progress.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests