[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrade

#931 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Some photos are up... looks very impressive!

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/gall ... -1,00.html

Last edited by Norman on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#932 Post by bm7500 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:07 pm

From http://www.adelaidenow.com.au
South Road Superway to connect Regency Rd, Port River Expressway

REGENCY Road will be connected to the Port River Expressway with more than 4km of extra road - 3km of which will be elevated above the ground.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd will announce $500 million in Federal Government funding for further upgrades of South Rd in Adelaide this morning - and has already foreshadowed the plan on radio FIVEaa.
Mr Rudd said the State Government would contribute a further $400 million to the project, dubbed the South Road Superway.

The project - to begin in November next year and be completed by December 2013 - will involve the creation of 2500 jobs.

The majority of the route will go through industrial land. Only three properties will need to be acquired for the project to proceed.

MORE TO COME
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#933 Post by bm7500 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:33 pm

Looks Awesome! :D

This is the full story and animated flyover: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#934 Post by Waewick » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:34 pm

amazing if true, would be a great feat of work.

I just hope they get everything underway before Rann gets kicked out of office.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#935 Post by DM8 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:50 pm

bm7500 wrote:Looks Awesome! :D
Took the words right out of my mouth there! Reminds me a bit of Melbourne's Citylink.
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#936 Post by Howie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Certainly looks good, anyone know if the gov press release is up yet? I wouldn't mind a hd version of the fly over.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#937 Post by Shuz » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:12 pm

Gobsmacked, rather. Seem's like something the Victorians would pull off. :D

And please, again, for your sanity, don't read the AdelaideNow comments.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#938 Post by Brando » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Shuz wrote:Gobsmacked, rather. Seem's like something the Victorians would pull off. :D

And please, again, for your sanity, don't read the AdelaideNow comments.
I just glimpsed over a few comments and people want it all done now and all South Rd to be fixed. Shocking bunch of idiots...

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#939 Post by joshzxzx » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:22 pm

All i cant say it what the F**K :o Where did this announcement come from???

Something of this nature is usually found on the eastern states.. Cant wait to see this go up.. Would be interesting to see how the property prices in the area will fare once this is erected as traveling times in near by areas would greatly benefit from this.

Who is up for a joint commercial property investment??? 8)
South Australia the Festival State

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#940 Post by Brando » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:24 pm

Wayno wrote:Can someone who has mastered "MS Paint" please draw a pikkie showing where this elevated rd will run - i'm confoosed...
One her for you mate.
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/file ... perway.pdf

My only concern is, i would have liked for it to also pass over Regency Rd. I could be wrong but the elevated superway looks to stop just before Regency Rd.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#941 Post by Briggzy_03 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:32 pm

I take it by how much they're investing in this strip of road that this part of south road is busy? I never drive up that way so I have no idea.

It looks awesome :D . I'm kind of disappointed that nothing further has been mentioned about other parts of south road, I'm really keen on the sturt road underpass going ahead and something to be done with the marion road intersection.

rhino

#942 Post by rhino » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Briggzy_03 wrote:I take it by how much they're investing in this strip of road that this part of south road is busy? I never drive up that way so I have no idea.
Regency Park is a major distribution area - a lot of trucking and transport firms have bases there. This bit of "Superway" will allow trucks to access Regency Park, Port Adelaide, the Riverland and the north of the state without impacting on the arterial roads in the area. For you, it will mean a non-stop journey on controlled-access road, from Regency Road to Nuriootpa.
Briggzy_03 wrote: something to be done with the marion road intersection.
You might be waiting a long time for this. I don't expect much to be done to South Road, south of the Southern Expressway interchange. I could be wrong though.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#943 Post by Waewick » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:41 pm

I've had a look at the adealide now site given that I do not understand the road use.

there seems to be generally the same comments, the first being upgrade other areas around regency road and south road to avoid bottlenecks as part of the development and other more stupid ones, like why not spend the money on /tram/hospital. poor people down south.

The biggest problem with the announcement is its lack of detail? Can someone a little more with it in terms of South Rd help me with the Pros and Cons of this one?

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

#944 Post by ac83 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post on this website. I too am sick of the douches commenting on AdelaideNow. To me this is absolutely fantastic. Maybe it's a way of the future to maintain an overhead freeway all the way to the southern expressway? I'm currenlty living up at Gawler and travel to Mile End each day. I avoid this part of the road as it's a 10km/h average speed. In the last 3 months I've seen a lot of survey people on the intersections. So obviously it is an important part of the road that needs to improved.

I'm all for development in Adelaide and this is a step in the right direction. Seems like a kneejerk reaction but surely there would've been heavy investigation in the background.

rhino

#945 Post by rhino » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:04 pm

ac83 wrote: Maybe it's a way of the future to maintain an overhead freeway all the way to the southern expressway?
I hope not. While I agree it is important that we have a non-stop road, and an elevated road will be great for drivers, it will be a disaster for Adelaide as a place to live. Much better to go the way we are going, constructing underpasses in residential areas and the occasional overpass in industrial areas. Is there really a need for a 110km/h freeway through the suburbs? As has been said many times in these forums, build it, and in no time it will be crammed full of cars with drivers who would otherwise have taken another route, or used public transport. Then, when you get off at an exit and meet a set of traffic lights, traffic gets backed up on to your 110km/h road, slowing traffic anyway. Why not have a non-stop road at 60km/h? It would be great for heavy transport, great for commuters who currently use South Road and average 10 km/h, will not have the bottlenecks at suburban interchanges because of the slower speed limit, will probably attract less cars on to it who would not have used South Road before, and will not divide the western suburbs the way a freeway will.

Welcome to Sensational Adelaide, too, by the way ac83 :D
cheers,
Rhino