[COM] South Road Superway | $842m | 3km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ac83
Gold-Member ;)

[COM] Re: South Road Upgrade

#946 Post by ac83 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi Rhino,

Cheers for the welcome! Much appreciated. I agree with some of your points and understand that it may produce bottlenecks but it's something that will need to be done right. Not a bandaid fix. Not only do i travel from Gawler to Mile End every day but i also travel to Victor Harbor usually twice a week too. And I'd be more than happy to pay a toll to travel almost all the way at 100km/h non stop. Obviously this can only be done if the road is say 2x4 lines as opposed to 2x2 or 2x3 even. I know some people are against all tolls but they do have their advantages. Less petrol, less wear & tear, less stress (which in today's busy lifestyle is a must) and most importantly less time. Don't get me wrong, tolls in Melbourne and Sydney are just damn right rude due to their high price. So there needs to be a balance. People can't expect something for nothing.

Just my 2 cents!

Cheers,

Azz

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#947 Post by Benski81 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:34 pm

I have to say it is a great thing that finally some decent infrastructure spending is happening in Adelaide!!! :D I think/hope such a large project (in $$$ terms) can begin to send out a message to to businesses that setting up in SA isn't actually commercial suicide and we can start to bring more business into the state because the costs associated with being based here make it advantageous to do so.

Good work Rann and K.Rudd despite what the tards on Adelaidenow are saying anyone with half a brain knows that infrastructure spending is a good thing, it's economics 101. For the f**kwits on Adelaidenow it's called THE MULITPLIER EFFECT, google it you might actually learn something.

Interestingly enough my cousin is a truck driver and he said the other day that it's always hard getting a full truck load to take out of Adelaide but that it's easy to fill up with crap to bring in. So maybe i'm nieve but could projects like this reverse that trend?

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#948 Post by DM8 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Shuz wrote:And please, again, for your sanity, don't read the AdelaideNow comments.
I fall victim to my own stupidity and have a look....

AARRRGGGHH.... what a bunch of morons!
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#949 Post by AG » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:31 pm

DTEI already has details of the South Road Superway on its website: http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/infrastructur ... d_superway

The project brochure is here: http://www.dtei.sa.gov.au/__data/assets ... ochure.pdf

For those who seem a bit confused:
- The elevated roadway starts at Taminga Street just south of Days Road and finishes just south of where the interchange with the Port River Expressway exists.
- The section between Taminga Street and Regency Road is being upgraded, but this will remain at grade.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#950 Post by Howie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks for the link mate.

DTEI : South Road Superway Concept Animation

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#951 Post by skyliner » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:50 pm

Absolutely stunning design/concept. :D :D :D A vote of confidence for Adelaide - will boost the economy, clear traffic blockages and speed things up. (high rise in the suburbs - only joking.) Looking forward to seeing this in person. the northern end of middle metro area experiencing something of an extensive reanaissance before the rot sets in like we see in eastern cities. Thanks guys for your research and input - VERY exciting :!: :!: Many BIG projects happening simultaneously across the city.

.Note- it seems from the renders that there is a parallel ground level South Road as well (alongside the 'viaduct')- a feeder road for the incoming streets? It also seems from the renders that there is a lot of vacant land - still not filled in from the early 1980's - is it 'toxic' with chemicals etc from previous landuse?

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#952 Post by Briggzy_03 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:36 pm

rhino wrote:
Briggzy_03 wrote: something to be done with the marion road intersection.
You might be waiting a long time for this. I don't expect much to be done to South Road, south of the Southern Expressway interchange. I could be wrong though.
I hope that turns out to be wrong with this proposal, in general the government seems to be doing the roads right up North of the city yet royally screwing up down south (Southern Expressway). Hell at least duplicate the S expressway :wank:. But on topic this looks like a promising project and should be considered a win for SA with the money invested federally and the jobs generated :D
skyliner wrote: It also seems from the renders that there is a lot of vacant land - still not filled in from the early 1980's - is it 'toxic' with chemicals etc from previous landuse?
I'm also curious about this skyliner, is there really that much spare land around there?, Surely this superway would stimulate growth of industry in that general area?

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#953 Post by Splashmo » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:34 pm

Don't want to sound like one of the "idiots" from AdelaideNow, but nearly a billion dollars to save a maximum of seven minutes?

Sure, there's more to it than that, but seeing as most of South Road already has 3x3 lanes there then maybe it's not the best solution or the best use of the money.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#954 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Splashmo wrote:Don't want to sound like one of the "idiots" from AdelaideNow, but nearly a billion dollars to save a maximum of seven minutes?
No, a billion dollars invested to save SA business's millions every year.

Traffic congestion in Sydney is costing NSW millions everyday.

Citylink is saving Vic business's 250 million every year.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#955 Post by adam73837 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Just to say what everyone expected me to say: I am very glad indeed. :mrgreen: :D 8)

However, I do share the curiosity of some other people here as to why it ends before Regency Road, but I'm sure that as we hear more about this project they'll announce an overpass at this junction; after all didn't the same thing happen with the ANZAC Highway Underpass (...and the tramline)?
Just another question, does anyone know why most of it appears to be only 2 lanes (in each direction)? Wouldn't one think that since it would become part of a major freight route, it would need at least 3 lanes since the freight stick to the left lane, leaving 2 lanes for commuters? Just a thought...

Otherwise, very glad indeed, look forward to hearing more info about this.

BTW, due to the fact that I first read it on the Adelaide Now site, curiosity got the better of me. Although some of the comments were good, the others... well I'd rather not discuss it.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#956 Post by AtD » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:30 pm

This project isn't aimed at commuters, it's aimed at road freight. This stretch of South Road probably carries more commercial vehicles than any other road in the state, hence it is getting the viaduct.
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/transpor ... _urban.pdf
So no more bitching that intersection X is being missed, there's a reason. :P

I wonder why they chose this viaduct over a simple road widening project.

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#957 Post by contractor » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Exciting, I agree, but the with the election coming up, the government has picked a section of South Road which will see work begin before the next state election, rather than tackling the atrocious conditions of the South Road/Port Road intersection first. Politics getting in the way of progress where it is really needed, unfortunately.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#958 Post by mattblack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:27 pm

I don't expect much to be done to South Road, south of the Southern Expressway interchange. I could be wrong though.
I hope that turns out to be wrong with this proposal, in general the government seems to be doing the roads right up North of the city yet royally screwing up down south (Southern Expressway). Hell at least duplicate the S expressway
The Marion underpass is well into the planning faze, I would expect a announcment to be made before the next election. As with the addition Nth the money has already been partially allocated by the feds for this. I would think that the duplication of the southern expressway would be one of the last things on the list, it not brilliant but will do for now. It would be a major, major underaking with spaghetti type flyovers needed especially at woodcroft interchange and connection to south Rd near Old Noarlunga.
Traffic congestion in Sydney is costing NSW millions everyday.

Yep, $12 mil a day in lost productivity apparently, that why this section is being done first, it will create jobs and money long term.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#959 Post by Hippodamus » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:45 pm

what are you guys talking about!! this is absolutely appauling... while other countries are ripping these scars from their urban landscapes to replace with heavy rail and mass transit, ADELAIDE seems to be thinking the 1960's approach to perpetuating urban sprawl and promoting an unsustainable means of investment for this city is fantastic!

how very sad. $812 million on a superway is a complete waste of public and government funds when we could be pouring half the money in to improving freight line connections to the port and northern suburbs while investing the remainder in good public transportation investments for the future of the city.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#960 Post by Prince George » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:48 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Citylink is saving Vic business's 250 million every year.
I'm curious to know more about that figure. I see it up on the CityLink website, but where does that saving come from?