[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #Article: Expressway Pledge (Howard)

#16 Post by SRW » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:57 am

Pistol78 wrote:So the government is willing to pay the $1 Billion needed for South Road but when it comes to the Southern Expressway they are arguing over $75 million... What the hell, am I missing something :?:
The $1 billion commitment would be spread out over a substantially longer period of time.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:55 am

jimmy_2486 wrote: I hope labor can also offer the same proposal so that we might get it either way!! hhehe
Kevin Rudd has guaranteed Adelaide the next submarine-building project, which would inject enough funds into the coffers for us to duplicate the Southern Expressway without John Howard's conditional offer of just 36% of the cost of duplication.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#18 Post by Ho Really » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:33 am

rhino wrote:Kevin Rudd has guaranteed Adelaide the next submarine-building project, which would inject enough funds into the coffers for us to duplicate the Southern Expressway without John Howard's conditional offer of just 36% of the cost of duplication.
Remember the sub building project is only a promise just like all those you'll hear before the elections. How solid is that guarantee when this project is so far into the future? Between Rudd's first term and then it may even revert to Victoria for all we know. As for those funds, we need a north-south solution now during the next term of office not just before the subs will be built.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rhino

#19 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:45 am

One could ask the same question about Howard's guarantee.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#20 Post by Ho Really » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:55 am

rhino wrote:One could ask the same question about Howard's guarantee.
Very true, but why do most of you doubt Horward and not Rudd?

Cheers

rhino

#21 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:05 pm

Howard has already proved his lack of integrity several times over - Rudd hasn't yet had the opportunity.
cheers,
Rhino

toby1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#22 Post by toby1 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:09 pm

ffs I doubt them both. There is a big picture that no-one is looking at, all these pollies are only looking to spend $$$ when there is something in it for them (ie votes). I think we all recognise that this is vote-buying stunt (can you say marginal seat?), why do we then worry about the little details? It is a good thing that someone is looking at the issue and prepared to spend something, but it is unlikely that a "best" solution will be enacted, more a fast cheap option to provide the illusion of caring for the local populace

and if i sound jaded that is probably because i am ...

If a pollie really wants to impress me they will need to provide a plan for something tangible that lasts beyond their term in office :2cents:
Thou Shalt Ignite That Which Burns

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:43 pm

Yeah true.....I am not convinced of anything unless I see some plans. At least then I will think they are for real.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#24 Post by Cruise » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:46 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Yeah true.....I am not convinced of anything unless I see some plans. At least then I will think they are for real.
I agree, they have yet to say what they are going to do exept spend money on it

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:48 pm

If yous all vote for me for prime minister....i will give uz all a milion dollars and fund the expressway hehehe :wank:

Ho Really

#26 Post by Ho Really » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:33 am

rhino wrote:Howard has already proved his lack of integrity several times over - Rudd hasn't yet had the opportunity.
If you want to get technical we can argue until the cows come home, however let's concentrate on issues regarding this forum: infrastructure, etc. Both Howard and Rudd are doing their jobs as politicians, promising a whole lot, but when it will come to the crunch the one (or the party) that has the best credentials for running the country's economy should be in power. Because the economy pays for education, health, transport, defence, etc., etc. Let's wait and see, let's add up all the costs before we make a decision.

Cheers

Ho Really

#27 Post by Ho Really » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:35 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:Yeah true.....I am not convinced of anything unless I see some plans. At least then I will think they are for real.
I bet you wouldn't do much different if you were in politics, it's the nature of the beast. However I do agree, unless we actually see it being done and completed to our satisfaction, why should we be convinced.

Cheers

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by Norman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:16 pm

In today's Guardian Messenger, the Marion Council is considering adding an exit ramp at Lander Road for the Hallett Cove residents if the Expressway is duplicated.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by muzzamo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:32 pm

Kim Richardson (Kingston Liberal MP) wrote a letter to all residents in the area promising the same thing.

Unfortunately all it would do is channel more traffic down South/Goodwood/Marion roads instead of Brighton road.

Waewick

[COM] #U/C: Southern Expressway | $445m | 22km

#30 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:35 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/southern- ... 5831294904

Mr Rann is currently holding a press conference to outline the details.

It trumps plans from the Opposition to announce a similar plan at noon.

Construction is expected to begin by the end of next year and be completed by 2014.

Opposition Leader Isobel Redmond refused to make an announcement on 891 ABC Adelaide Radio today but did little to quell rumours she planned to match the Government's plan.

"I'm not making any announcements this morning," she said.

"I'm no longer in charge of my own destiny and I know that there's a timetable about things that are being announced."

It is understood the Liberals would commit $275 million in a first term of government to the road duplication plan.
both parties committed, that has to be a good thing