News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#1141 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm

PeFe wrote:And as an astute reader on the comments page pointed out, one of the photos was taken last year when the weather was colder.......that really is dishonest journalism, passing off older photos as relating to the bus strike.
And why caption it "PAIN" ?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1142 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:12 pm

PeFe wrote:From Adelaide Now
Transfield and South Link bus drivers to strike on Sunday

TICKET inspectors have been out in force along Adelaide's busy O-Bahn this morning on the first day of industrial action launched by the unions.

Confusion over whether commuters will be fined for not validating tickets has escalated, with Transport Services Minister Chloe Fox saying on FIVEaa radio this morning that people would not be fined.

A spokesman for the Minister said that while commuters could technically be fined, "common sense would prevail" and they would not be.

This stance contradicts that of the Transport Department, who yesterday said passengers without tickets would face $220 on-the-spot fines because they are "legally and morally obliged to pay".

Public Transport Services deputy chief executive Lino Di Lernia said commuters had an obligation to pay for the service despite industrial action.

"As far as (today) being a free public transport day, it's definitely not the case," Mr Di Lernia said.

A ticket inspector boards an O-Bahn bus at Paradise interchange this morning to ensure commuters validated their tickets. Pic: Sam Wundke.

Have you been fined today for not validating your ticket? Tell us below.

Commuters on many buses along the O-Bahn this morning were given a choice not to pay for tickets as union drivers waived fares in order to receive better working conditions.

One driver told a female student she was "obliged to pay" but would not tell her "what to do".

At the Paradise Interchange ticket inspectors boarded city-bound buses announcing to passengers to have their validated tickets ready.

One inspector would not comment when approached by The Advertiser.

Commuters at the Tea Tree Plaza Interchange.

Many commuters said they were happy to pay as they had Metrocards, but some said they were disappointed with inspectors revenue raising on a day when the union is shining a light on the industry.

"It's blatant revenue raising," one man said.

"I won't be validating my ticket because they have ticket inspectors out today."

"I'll get on the bus and see what happens," another female commuter said.

"I support the strike."

PAIN: Early morning commuters line up for a bus at the Noarlunga Centre Interchange.

Drivers told The Advertiser that despite the industrial action most commuters were validating their tickets.

On the return trip to the city The Advertiser was ordered to validate its ticket by a driver who said he was not a member of the union.

Transport Workers Union state branch secretary Ray Wyatt said he would welcome bus inspectors on the network today.

"If the Government is going to have investigators on buses that will work for us because it will make buses more safe, which is what we want,'' he said.

The union has stepped up its industrial action against Transfield and SouthLink bus companies by deciding to strike this Sunday.

Union members will walk off the job between 10am and 2pm and attend an "awareness campaign'' with their families in the city to highlight their cause.

The first round of industrial action begins today, with union members driving for the two companies refusing to collect fares or enforce ticket validation indefinitely.

Services affected include the O-Bahn, some in the Adelaide Hills and northern and southern suburbs.

Opposition Transport spokeswoman Vickie Chapman said 92 per cent of bus fares go to Government revenue "so it's obviously in the Government's interest to say passengers have to pay anyway''.

Commuters who use the Park 'n' Ride facilities at Tea Tree Plaza could also feel a sting if they fail to validate their ticket.

The system that charges $2 parking for O-Bahn users will resort to casual fares if the commuter has not validated their ticket within two hours of exiting the car park.

This will result in a charge of $10 for using the Park 'n' Ride facilities.

A spokesman for Transport Services Minister Chloe Fox referred questions about the Government's handling of the industrial dispute to Attorney General John Rau, whose office said the action was "primarily a matter between the employers, the union and their representatives".

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6812151805
And as an astute reader on the comments page pointed out, one of the photos was taken last year when the weather was colder.......that really is dishonest journalism, passing off older photos as relating to the bus strike.
The Mercedes have been off the O-Bahn that long someone has actually restored one of them back to their original condition - as The Scooter Guy has shown on the Picture Posts thread!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1143 Post by Norman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:13 pm

The Metrocard Visitors Pass has been released. It allows 3 days worth of unlimited travel for $25.

More information can be found here: http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Visitor ... paign/Home

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1144 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:00 pm

Adelaide Metro has completed the full roll out of its real time passenger information system with customers now able to track the arrival of every bus, train and tram on the network for free.

Real-Time information services 7650 bus stops, tram stops and train stations with information updated on the Adelaide Metro website every 60 seconds.
Real-Time arrival information uses satellite tracking installed on all vehicles as part of our very successful Metrocard ticketing project, to predict when the next service will arrive based on speed and its last reported location.

Five digit stop codes are currently being installed at bus stops and train and tram stations to enable commuters to easily identify their unique code and look up their Real-Time arrival information.

Adelaide Metro will continue to refine and improve the real time service in coming months and while accidents and data outages can affect its accuracy, in such instances Real-Time will default to schedules to ensure customers remain informed about their next service.

For more information or to access Real-Time information visit www.adelaidemetro.com.au

:applause:

Waewick

#1145 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 am

I'm curious, to know how they plan bus stops?

I the reason I ask is I use Kensignton Road, and for the life of me, I cannot work out the logic of having bus stops at intersections (Glynburn Road and the Roundabout)

ChillyPhilly

#1146 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:23 pm

It's a shame the new Real-Time tracking isn't being given the praise, let alone the attention it rightfully deserves.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1147 Post by Vee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:28 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:It's a shame the new Real-Time tracking isn't being given the praise, let alone the attention it rightfully deserves.
Good point, ChillyPhilly.
The real-time information is fabulous.
And the ease of use, and swift entry (and economy and top up functionality) of the Metro Card is great too. It's actually quite annoying to see how much time is wasted (and entry often blocked) by people having to buy a ticket, fumble with change etc. And it's more expensive to buy a single use ticket.

Our new visitor pass option is good for tourists. (Currently 3 day but 1 and 5 day options in development.) Should be especially handy during major events and with the expected influx of visitors every weekend for matches at Adelaide Oval.

The real-time tracking needs to be publicized better. More people have smart phones but some don't know about real-time tracking or how to use it. Perhaps some simple how-to YouTube or Vimeo videos would help. And some posters on PT and at stations/stops advertising this functionality. Add it to any radio/TV marketing?

Real-time is great for regular journeys but also a god-send for the unfamiliar journey or time-slot eg attending events during the Festival/Fringe etc. and more complex journeys. It's especially useful where multiple options are available at a particular bus stop, served by different routes.
Many times during the past few months, we have relayed the time of the next bus to passengers (including tourists) waiting at our bus stop, especially in the evening in the city.

The Transit Times + (Plus version of the free app) is a terrific low cost app (used around the world and developed locally!).

I would like to see some praise given where due. Too often, the media are happy to jump on the PT negativity bandwagon, including times when service disruptions are caused by an accident beyond the control of the authorities eg car crash, tree fall during storm etc.

Llessur2002

#1148 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:54 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:It's a shame the new Real-Time tracking isn't being given the praise, let alone the attention it rightfully deserves.
Why is this true of so many initiatives? For example, the new/extended city free bus. I haven't heard anything about it other than through this forum and Adelaide Metro's website. To be honest, I only realised a year or so ago that the old service existed!

Why isn't this advertised better/at all to Adelaide residents? Come into the CBD this weekend, travel around it FOR FREE on this great new bus service. Pop into North Adelaide. Leave the car at home, have a glass of wine with lunch etc etc...

As it stands the only people who will use the service are the small group of residents who know about it and tourists who have had it pointed out to them by the tourist information people.

And why aren't the buses for the new service bright red/green/pink/orange/multi-coloured or something and heavily branded as the *free* bus? Big signs and maps at the stops they service, posters about the free bus on other buses and the trams, TV/radio ads etc. Anything that raises awareness would be a bonus.

Surely half the problem with encouraging people to use public transport in the first place is that people are stuck with the same old idea in their head that it doesn't go where/when they want it to or the network's not big/regular enough etc. When improvements are made they should be shouted from the rooftops to break down this notion in people's minds instead of being implemented quietly in the hope that eventually people might notice.

Nathan

#1149 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:And why aren't the buses for the new service bright red/green/pink/orange/multi-coloured or something and heavily branded as the *free* bus? Big signs and maps at the stops they service, posters about the free bus on other buses and the trams, TV/radio ads etc. Anything that raises awareness would be a bonus.
Some of the buses have been decked out with a green livery, but strangely keep the standard red/yellow/blue Adelaide Metro front (so they look like a normal bus when approaching). I assume they'll apply the livery across all the buses doing the free route in time.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#1150 Post by fabricator » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:53 am

The level crossing on Morphett and Diagonal roads, that's the one next to Oaklands station, is "stuck" this morning and hence delaying traffic on both roads.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6866018071
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#1151 Post by mattwinter » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:43 pm

There were also delays on the East Avenue crossing this week.

Also this morning's Noarlunga train that arrives Adelaide at 8:58 was cancelled because of signalling issues. Not sure what the issues are

Aidan

#1152 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:30 am

I was dismayed this arvo to discover the train I intended to catch to the City was only 2 cars long. It was running late, probably because of the Showdown crowds - by Hallett Cove Beach it appeared to be full. I left the other passengers trying to squeeze on and went home. About fifteen minutes later I noticed (from my car) that there was an electric train there and no crowds on the platforms - but there had been no station announcements and the information screens weren't working.

TransAdelaide seem to have failed to realise that footy crowds require long trains, and that demand before the match is higher for normal timetabled trains than extra trains. I subsequently heard that the evening trains were also far too short.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#1153 Post by Tonsley213 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:56 am

Adian you can't put 4 cars on each train and run them at 15 minute intervals. There is not a infinite number of railcars.

I'm sure the Rail Commissioner did their best to cater for the demand the best they could. It people weren't so selfish they could wait for the next train and maybe it won't be so squished.

Aidan

#1154 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:54 am

Tonsley213 wrote:Adian you can't put 4 cars on each train and run them at 15 minute intervals.
I can't but TransAdelaide could - such a service would still require fewer railcars than a normal weekday peak service.
There is not a infinite number of railcars.
There doesn't need to be. There are a hundred diesel railcars (technically 82 diesel and the rest trailers) plus several electric trains which are sufficiently long to substitute for those trains that aren't in the normal timetable. And even without the electric trains, running 4 car sets on the Seaford line would only use 32 of the 70 eligible railcars.
I'm sure the Rail Commissioner did their best to cater for the demand the best they could.
Why do so many people assume competence despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary?
It people weren't so selfish they could wait for the next train and maybe it won't be so squished.
Waiting an unknown amount of time (possibly up to half an hour) with no guarantee - indeed no evidence - that the next train will be longer) is just stupid. It isn't even unselfish, as the crowds are likely to get bigger as the start of the match approaches.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Nathan

#1155 Post by Nathan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:10 am

TransAdelaide? They were abolished in 2010. The trains are run under DPTI I thought.