[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1081 Post by rogue » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:33 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Same here.

They really should be eliminating level crossings at every opportunity they can get.
Couldn't agree more. Great opportunity to eliminate the Coglin St and Queen St level crossings in addition to South Rd.

rockthenation
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1082 Post by rockthenation » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:19 am

Clearly cost saving, a missed opportunity in not removing the Queen / Elizabeth Street crossing.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1083 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Of interesting note, Michael Deegan, Chief Executive of DPTI - has significant background and experience in rail safety, having been the former Chief Executive of Infrastructure Australia, former chairman of the National Transport Commission, and former Director-General of the NSW Department of Transport.

Those rail safety posters that you see at pedestrian crossings went up immediately the week after his appointment - one of his first directives as CE. I'm genuinely surprised he hasn't been more vocal or advocating of eliminating level crossings where possible.

It just seems ludicrous to spend all this time and money removing one crossing, when if we spent an extra few million dollars or so to extend the overpass over Queen Street, you'd get rid of two, and save having to do it again in future. Case of killing two birds with one stone.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1084 Post by rev » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:58 pm

Maybe it's me, but I don't think they are trying to turn Queen Street into a non-stop motorway. I could be wrong though :sly:

ChillyPhilly

#1085 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:45 am

I'm a big fan of the small but very nice Queen Street retail area. It is a rather unique public space, with even greater potential. It would be a shame to see it negatively impacted by the overpass.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Llessur2002

#1086 Post by Llessur2002 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:01 am

I still don't fully understand the urgency to remove the Queen Street level crossing - it's just not a busy route, hardly even a through road. I can think of several level crossings on busy main roads which would surely be far more deserving of any spare upgrade funds.

Nathan

#1087 Post by Nathan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:49 am

Removing level crossings isn't just about improving a route for cars. If done properly it helps to eliminate areas being divided in two by a line that can only be crossed every few hundred metres, and it improves safety for those on foot. The reason for the focus is that the line is already being elevated just 100m before the crossing - the opportunity is there to do it.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#1088 Post by PD2/20 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:22 pm

Nathan wrote:Removing level crossings isn't just about improving a route for cars. If done properly it helps to eliminate areas being divided in two by a line that can only be crossed every few hundred metres, and it improves safety for those on foot. The reason for the focus is that the line is already being elevated just 100m before the crossing - the opportunity is there to do it.
Surely an elevated line is going to accentuate the divsion caused by the railway line unless it is designed very carefully. The cheapest form of construction, earthfill with retaining walls, will be more of a division than the existing line on the flat. Pier and deck construction is still going to be visually instrusive. It is the railway rather than the level crossings which result in the division. Undergrounding would be the only way of completely removing the division, while maintaining the railway.

Alex C

Llessur2002

#1089 Post by Llessur2002 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Nathan wrote:Removing level crossings isn't just about improving a route for cars. If done properly it helps to eliminate areas being divided in two by a line that can only be crossed every few hundred metres, and it improves safety for those on foot. The reason for the focus is that the line is already being elevated just 100m before the crossing - the opportunity is there to do it.
So, although only a preliminary design, the renders shown on the consultation document seem to show an embankment leading up to solid brick/concrete sides - that's more of a barrier for the two halves of the community than the current 1m high wire fencing. To open up the area you'll need some sort of pier and deck construction which wouldn't suit the quaint heritage residential area - you'll end up with something like the South Road tram overpass which isn't exactly pretty.

The road isn't really busy enough to warrant losing the crossing for traffic flow purposes (I'm sure increased traffic flow isn't really wanted through that area anyway), the community has said quite vocally they don't want it (suggesting they're not convinced an overpass will open up the area or they're not that fussed about whether it does or not) so I think the right decision has been made by not spending extra millions putting it in.

Nathan

#1090 Post by Nathan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:39 pm

As I said before, they are issues that could have been solved by good design. Of course if they build an overpass with massive embankments or something akin to the tram overpass, it wouldn't work for Queen/Elizabeth St, and I never suggested they should. But a good viaduct, in a style complimentary to the area, that makes use of the space beneath for the community including pedestrian links between Euston and Day Tces (as I quite clearly showed in my example) would work.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1091 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:15 pm

rev wrote:
rockthenation wrote:Drove past the Ashwin Pde / West Theb Rd intersection yesterday, seems to be coming along nicely, didn't get any pictures though. Still getting used to that part of South Rd being that wide!
Imagine your surprise when Torrens to Torrens is finished then :P
You're not concerned about induced demand?
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Waewick

#1092 Post by Waewick » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:17 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
rev wrote:
rockthenation wrote:Drove past the Ashwin Pde / West Theb Rd intersection yesterday, seems to be coming along nicely, didn't get any pictures though. Still getting used to that part of South Rd being that wide!
Imagine your surprise when Torrens to Torrens is finished then :P
You're not concerned about induced demand?
isn't that everyone's concern Image

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1093 Post by rev » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:21 pm

So, if I'm reading right, people think that an elevated railway will cause division? So if you lived in the area, you would not go past the elevated railway? It would somehow prohibit you from crossing under it?
If this is true I expect to see the Advertiser running a campaign labelling it the Berlin Wall and trying to get it torn down. :lol:

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

#1094 Post by Zills » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:03 pm

My friend lives on Euston tce near Queen st and we've talked a lot about the costs + benefits of the rail overpass. Queen st overpass no doubt be would be fugly as (limit sunlight and ruin the visual aesthetics), but we strongly doubt it would cause a disconnect to Day tce - you've still got to go to Queen st to cross over if they built an embankment. Benefit/s? Apart from obvious safety benefits, the trains won't have to toot their horns day and night - But of course, that's just part of living next to a train line :p

On another note - I'm in Denmark for a while and their train system is insanely good - I haven't seen a level crossing yet. The trains are super fast, whisper quiet and extremely comfortable to ride (even though many are 20+ years old).Someday Adelaide.. someday!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1095 Post by Will » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:38 pm

From news.com
About 15,000 extra motorists to benefit from new Darlington upgrade plans

This story was published: 13 hours ago March 29, 2015 12:30AM

A new artist’s impression looking south. The first bridge is Sturt Rd near Flinders Uni, while the second is Flinders Drive. Source: Supplied

ABOUT 15,000 extra commuters a day will be able to use a non -stop motorway from Adelaide’s south under a redesign of the $620 million Darlington upgrade, according to the Federal Government.

The changes announced today will allow motorists on Flagstaff Hill and Main South roads, to use the non-stop motorway avoiding three sets of lights.

The previous design released last year only gave motorists using the expressway access to the 2.3km motorway.

The new plan also features a lowered road that passes underneath Flinders Drive and Sturt Rd and an interchange at the junction of the Southern Expressway and Main South Rd.

Traffic will flow continuously on and off the Southern Expressway while South Rd passes over the top of the expressway.

Federal Assistant Infrastructure Minister Jamie Briggs said announcing the new design was an important step for the $620 million project that was 80 per cent funded by the Federal Government with the State Government providing the rest.

An earlier version of the concept plan, showing the Flinders Drive road bridge over South

An earlier version of the concept plan, showing the Flinders Drive road bridge over South Rd. The proposed upgrade was to allow a non-stop travel along the busy 2.3km section of Main South Rd between the Southern Expressway and Ayliffes Rd.

“This project is an investment in South Australian jobs and economic growth. It will support about 370 jobs a year during construction, slash travel times for motorists and boost freight efficiency,” he said.

“The Darlington Upgrade will help eliminate congestion by creating a non-stop motorway along the busy 2.3km section of Main South Rd between the Southern Expressway and Ayliffes Rd.”

Mr Briggs said it provides better access to the Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders University, Tonsley precinct and other local businesses, while Main South and Ayliffes intersection was unchanged.

Major construction should begin later this year to meet the targeted 2018 finish.

State Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan said the changes responded to public feedback and data which showed about half of the traffic coming in to Darlington from the south used Main South and Flagstaff roads.

“Making the non-stop motorway accessible to all of these roads means more road users will enjoy the benefits of this substantive project,” he said.

DARLINGTON ART

“This project will be conducted in line with the State Government’s Industry Participation Policy,

which seeks to give local small-to-medium businesses a better chance of being involved.”

Further information is available at www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/darlington

The Darlington upgrade was a major campaign issue for both the 2013 Federal Election and last year’s State Election.

Labor was committed to the Torrens to Torrens project while the Liberals backed the Darlington upgrade.

Last year’s Federal Budget locked in cash for both projects after both levels of government agreed on a cheaper plan for the Darlington project.

Previous plans for the upgrade we costed at up to $1.8 billion included a full interchange with rail services linking to Flinders Medical Centre and Flinders University.