[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#1621 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:12 am

mawsonguy wrote:The satellite photographs...
Just as an aside - those images are taken from an airplane. Satellite imagery available to non-CIA/Military types have a max resolution of about one pixel = 5 to 15 metres depending on which satellite you have access to.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1622 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 am

monotonehell wrote:
Just as an aside - those images are taken from an airplane. Satellite imagery available to non-CIA/Military types have a max resolution of about one pixel = 5 to 15 metres depending on which satellite you have access to.
Yeah but surely they can turn those grainy images into an HD picture of someone's face by getting a nerdy type in glasses to repeatedly press a button that says 'enhance' like they do in those movies?

Nathan

#1623 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:20 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
Yeah but surely they can turn those grainy images into an HD picture of someone's face by getting a nerdy type in glasses to repeatedly press a button that says 'enhance' like they do in those movies?

Llessur2002

#1624 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:28 am

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1625 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Pfft amateurs...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp77AjBdlEc

I was looking over the long term outlines for the N-S corridor and I was wondering what the provisions are (if any) are for on/off ramps in the vicinity of the inner CBD loop? Anyone seen anything about this?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Xaragmata

#1626 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 pm

mawsonguy wrote:The satellite photographs as at 9 Feb 2016 clearly shows a reinforced concrete "strip" being built between the northbound surface road and where the lowered roadway will eventually be constructed. A photograph in the latest Construction Newsletter has a photo showing this construction as "Top of the wall barrier". Not being an engineer, I just wonder how you can buid the top of a wall without first building the bottom of the wall! I thought it may be a barrier wall set back from the cutting retaining wall but the visualisations don't show that rather they show one continuous wall from the bottom of the cutting to the top of the barrier. I also thought it might be the gutter but the satellite photo shows capping not a gutter. Anyone with better knowledge of what is actually going on?
The method used on the Bakewell & Gallipoli underpasses was to build sections of the walls from the top down as excavation proceeded, securing them with soil nails:

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1627 Post by Torrens_5022 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:02 pm

monotonehell wrote:Pfft amateurs...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp77AjBdlEc

I was looking over the long term outlines for the N-S corridor and I was wondering what the provisions are (if any) are for on/off ramps in the vicinity of the inner CBD loop? Anyone seen anything about this?

There will be an interchange at Port / Grange Rds and the next is James Congdon Drive, page 21 http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... rategy.pdf

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#1628 Post by mawsonguy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:21 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:There will be an interchange at Port / Grange Rds and the next is James Congdon Drive, page 21 http://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__d ... rategy.pdf
That's not the way that I read it. At page 21 it refers to the:
Sir Donald Bradman Drive and James Congdon Drive Interchange
and then at page 42:
... the split diamond interchange of James Congdon Drive and Sir Donald Bradman Drive.
So it appears that traffic getting on and off the southern portion does so at James Congdon and traffic getting on and off the northern portion does so at Sir Donald Bradman. If you are coming from the north and want to get off to go to the CBD you do so at Port/Grange Road or the next inerchange which will be Sir Donald Bradman. Given that James Congdon feeds onto Sir Donald Bradman Drive, that should make for a good traffic jam.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1629 Post by Norman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:14 pm

mawsonguy wrote:So it appears that traffic getting on and off the southern portion does so at James Congdon and traffic getting on and off the northern portion does so at Sir Donald Bradman. If you are coming from the north and want to get off to go to the CBD you do so at Port/Grange Road or the next inerchange which will be Sir Donald Bradman. Given that James Congdon feeds onto Sir Donald Bradman Drive, that should make for a good traffic jam.
Not quite, the movements are quite restricted at that intersection.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#1630 Post by alexczarn » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:02 am

Norman wrote:
mawsonguy wrote:So it appears that traffic getting on and off the southern portion does so at James Congdon and traffic getting on and off the northern portion does so at Sir Donald Bradman. If you are coming from the north and want to get off to go to the CBD you do so at Port/Grange Road or the next inerchange which will be Sir Donald Bradman. Given that James Congdon feeds onto Sir Donald Bradman Drive, that should make for a good traffic jam.
Such as no left turn onto Don Bradman Drive from James Congdon.

ChillyPhilly

#1631 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:25 am

I'd expect a fairly significant interchange to allow good airport access.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1632 Post by Norman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:50 am

alexczarn wrote:
Norman wrote:
Such as no left turn onto Don Bradman Drive from James Congdon.
And also no right turn from JCD to SDBD if you're heading north-east.

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#1633 Post by fifty » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:13 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:I'd expect a fairly significant interchange to allow good airport access.
Hence my Richmond Road concept, but looks like DPTI has decided its SDBD or nothing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly

#1634 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:15 am

fifty wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:I'd expect a fairly significant interchange to allow good airport access.
Hence my Richmond Road concept, but looks like DPTI has decided its SDBD or nothing

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Got an image of that that you can send?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#1635 Post by mawsonguy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Norman wrote:
The point I was making is that traffic which currently comes off South Road to go to the CBD at Richmond Road, Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Henley Beach Road will all get pushed onto Sir Donald Bradman Drive once the freeway is contructed. Given that many people who currently use other routes to access the CBD will use the freeway instead, I can see a four fold increase in the traffic on SDBD west of JCD. Current traffic restrictions at the SDBD and JCD intersection will have to be altered.