[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2416 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:09 am

rev wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 pm
bits wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 pm
Regency over South still seems better to me.
6 lane freeway bridge for North-south motorway vs 4 lane arterial bridge for Regency.
Less interference of South Rd traffic etc.
That's not logical though.
South Road/Cross Road overpass. There's traffic lights below. South Road continues over it all.
Apply that to South Road/Regency Road, except using your idea of the overpass being on Regency road and not South road. It defeats the purpose of creating a non-stop north-south motorway.

They could do it, but it would be far more expensive because there would need to be the whole "spaghetti" thing going on with on/off ramps from regency road leading onto south road and vice versa. That would see the majority of the southern part of the Tafe campus car parks, the grassed area at Coopers Brewery, and a lot of the properties on the eastern side of the intersection being cleared to make way for all this.

Whereas an overpass on South Road over Regency could work like the Superway does over Grand Junction road, except it wouldn't be as long and the on/off ramps wouldn't need to be elevated from ground level. If you need to get off the motorway and onto Regency you take the slip lane/exit on your left, to either turn left onto Regency or turn right, at a signaled intersection below the overpass. To get on to the motorway a similar thing. Much cheaper and simpler.
And if they sink the Regency intersection, the overpass wont need to be as long as the South Road/Cross road overpass.
What a load of crap.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2417 Post by rev » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:27 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:09 am
rev wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 pm
bits wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 pm
Regency over South still seems better to me.
6 lane freeway bridge for North-south motorway vs 4 lane arterial bridge for Regency.
Less interference of South Rd traffic etc.
That's not logical though.
South Road/Cross Road overpass. There's traffic lights below. South Road continues over it all.
Apply that to South Road/Regency Road, except using your idea of the overpass being on Regency road and not South road. It defeats the purpose of creating a non-stop north-south motorway.

They could do it, but it would be far more expensive because there would need to be the whole "spaghetti" thing going on with on/off ramps from regency road leading onto south road and vice versa. That would see the majority of the southern part of the Tafe campus car parks, the grassed area at Coopers Brewery, and a lot of the properties on the eastern side of the intersection being cleared to make way for all this.

Whereas an overpass on South Road over Regency could work like the Superway does over Grand Junction road, except it wouldn't be as long and the on/off ramps wouldn't need to be elevated from ground level. If you need to get off the motorway and onto Regency you take the slip lane/exit on your left, to either turn left onto Regency or turn right, at a signaled intersection below the overpass. To get on to the motorway a similar thing. Much cheaper and simpler.
And if they sink the Regency intersection, the overpass wont need to be as long as the South Road/Cross road overpass.
What a load of crap.
Ah go play with your play-doh

You put Regency road as an over pass over South Road, tell us oh wise one Shuz, where do you put the signalized intersection? On the over pass? Added cost as you then need to build elevated on/off ramps.
On the road below(South road)...? Defeats the purpose of the non-stop corridor initiative.

South Road as an overpass OVER Regency road...you only need look at the South Road/Cross road overpass for how it would work. Only one elevated roadway is required.
Very simple stuff Shuz.

[Shuz]

#2418 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 am

https://imgur.com/a/9YyGa

see sketch in link above.

example of single point urban interchange.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)

#2419 Post by aaronjameslange » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 am

Hanson road interchange is over PREXY.
Almost all of the NEXY interchanges (angle vale rd, curtis, heaslip, penfield) are also elevated over tje expressway. They use roundabouts instead of signals though

rhino

#2420 Post by rhino » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 pm

bits wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 am
https://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__ ... rategy.pdf
"The non-stop Motorway component of the North-South Corridor will be directly connected to
intersecting arterial roads via interchanges located at Regency Road, Port Road/Grange Road/
Manton Street, Sir Donald Bradman Drive/James Congdon Drive, Anzac Highway, Cross Road,
Ayliffes Road /Shepherds Hill Road and Sturt Road. "
Is anyone else surprised that there will be no interchange at Henley Beach Road and the N-S Motorway?
cheers,
Rhino

SBD

#2421 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:10 pm

rhino wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 pm
bits wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 am
https://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/__ ... rategy.pdf
"The non-stop Motorway component of the North-South Corridor will be directly connected to
intersecting arterial roads via interchanges located at Regency Road, Port Road/Grange Road/
Manton Street, Sir Donald Bradman Drive/James Congdon Drive, Anzac Highway, Cross Road,
Ayliffes Road /Shepherds Hill Road and Sturt Road. "
Is anyone else surprised that there will be no interchange at Henley Beach Road and the N-S Motorway?
It could be a consideration of space between heritage buildings, and/or the estimated cost of impact on the school, or "preserving the character" of the streetscape.

It's not far from the next interchange south, and there is not much industry that needs heavy transport on HBR. The SDBD/JCD interchange is in an industrial area (although a little less-so once some are bought to make space for the interchange). Deacon Avenue and Richmond Road lead to the back of the Airport, which could become a freight terminal.

ChillyPhilly

#2422 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Again, pretty rough but this fits the 'switch' and ticks a few other boxes people have mentioned.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2423 Post by how good is he » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:56 pm

I think that will be the likely route/design and resumptions.

ChillyPhilly

#2424 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:54 pm

I have a hunch that several allotments on the western side of existing South Road are already government owned.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev

#2425 Post by rev » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 am

Thanks for making my point even stronger Shuzsta. :lol:

The example of the overpass at South/Cross roads is cheaper then the monstrosity you posted.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#2426 Post by mawsonguy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Some aerial shots from Google Eart as at 15 October 2017

Waterloo Corner interchange

Bolivar interchange

Southern interchange

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2427 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:52 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm
[Shuz] wrote:

The example of the overpass at South/Cross roads is cheaper then the monstrosity you posted.
we're going to need one of those "monstrosities" to cater for the freight traffic entering the freeway. You cant really compare the Regency crossing with the Emerson crossing. I wouldn't be surprised if they converted the Emerson crossing to something a bit more substantial in the future

rev

#2428 Post by rev » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:52 pm
rev wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:29 pm
[Shuz] wrote:

we're going to need one of those "monstrosities" to cater for the freight traffic entering the freeway. You cant really compare the Regency crossing with the Emerson crossing. I wouldn't be surprised if they converted the Emerson crossing to something a bit more substantial in the future
im not suggesting a carbon copy of south/cross roads. I’m saying something along that design, whether it’s bigger or wider, makes more sense then putting the regency road intersection on an overpass over south road.
We may well end up with something like the above, like we have similar on prexy, but prexy runs through an all industrial area, this does not.
The noise of living next to a freeway/motorway is a huge issue hence the noise walls/barriers along the length of t2t.
Sinking part of the road in an underpass/overpass situation makes more sense then a prexy style overpass/intersection for the very fact it’s on the doorstep of a largely residential area.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2429 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 pm

im not suggesting a carbon copy of south/cross roads. I’m saying something along that design, whether it’s bigger or wider, makes more sense then putting the regency road intersection on an overpass over south road.
We may well end up with something like the above, like we have similar on prexy, but prexy runs through an all industrial area, this does not.
The noise of living next to a freeway/motorway is a huge issue hence the noise walls/barriers along the length of t2t.
Sinking part of the road in an underpass/overpass situation makes more sense then a prexy style overpass/intersection for the very fact it’s on the doorstep of a largely residential area.
Wouldn't the noise be the same regardless of which road goes over the other? and if the property acquisition goes right up to Regency road there won't be any homes near the intersection anyway..

Besides, the residents will complain about the noise and demand compensation either way

SBD

#2430 Post by SBD » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:27 pm

mawsonguy wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 pm
Some aerial shots from Google Eart as at 15 October 2017

Waterloo Corner interchange

[Images deleted for brevity ]

Bolivar interchange

Southern interchange
Is that the shared path taking shape in the first two pictures along the east side of the works? ?