[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2521 Post by rhino » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 am

bits wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:35 pm
You can't have a freeway with on and off ramps every 100m.
Your license to exaggerate is being well used here I think
cheers,
Rhino

bits
Legendary Member!

#2522 Post by bits » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 am

rhino wrote: Your license to exaggerate is being well used here I think
And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2523 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 pm

Unfortunately there is no news story to go with the press release, so here is just the press release instead,
Darlington traffic switch to allow for construction of next major bridge
February 1, 2018

Major construction is set to begin on a new bridge at the northern end of the 370-job Darlington Upgrade Project.

Significant changes to traffic movements are being made this weekend to prepare for the start of construction of the new bridge at Ayliffes Road.

It will allow traffic from the non-stop motorway to pass over the South Road/Shepherds Hill Road intersection and continue east on Ayliffes Road.

It is one of eight new bridges being built for the $620 million project and coincides with another milestone – the completion of piling works which has seen a total of 2375 piles constructed across the entire work site.

Over the weekend traffic on Ayliffes Road will be switched to the edges of the roadway.

Bridge beams will also be installed for another new bridge at Flinders Drive.

Construction is continuing on the second bridge over the Southern Expressway which is being built off site and will be moved into place later this year using self-propelled modular transporters.

Background
The Ayliffes Road traffic switch will occur between South Road and Norman Street in St Marys.

Traffic restrictions will be in place from 8pm tomorrow night until 6am Monday morning.

Once the traffic switch is complete, a reversible lane will be in operation on Ayliffes Road during peak periods.

These arrangements will maintain traffic capacity on Ayliffes Road during construction allowing three lanes of eastbound (citybound) traffic from 6am to 10am, and three lanes of westbound (outbound) traffic from 2pm to 8pm. Two lanes of traffic will operate in each direction at all other times.

The 3.3 kilometre Darlington Upgrade will deliver a non-stop roadway between the Tonsley Precinct and the Southern Expressway, bypassing five sets of traffic lights, while also providing connections to local streets.

Eight bridges are being built for the project including:
  • Tonsley Boulevard
  • Over the Sturt River
  • Flinders Drive
  • Sturt Road
  • Mimosa Terrace and Sutton Road
  • Ayliffes Road
  • Two bridges over Southern Expressway.
The project also includes extending the existing Tonsley rail line by 620 metres, via a rail overpass, terminating at a new station next to the Flinders Medical Centre.

For more information visit the Darlington Upgrade webpage.

Quotes attributable to Transport and Infrastructure Minister Stephen Mullighan
Jobs are the State Labor Government’s number one priority and this project is delivering hundreds of jobs for South Australians, as well as massive improvements to this critical road corridor.

Our record investment in infrastructure is driving jobs growth and economic activity for South Australian workers and businesses.

The Darlington Upgrade is a key part of delivering a 78 kilometre non-stop North-South Corridor running between Gawler and Old Noarlunga
This section of South Road is a notorious and frustrating bottleneck, just ask any motorist who sits in bumper-to-bumper traffic every day.

During the switch, traffic will be continually monitored and managed to minimise disruption, but drivers are encouraged to plan ahead or use an alternate route.

While there will be an impact on motorists, the benefits once completed will be immense – improved travel times, reliability and safety, less congestion and no more frustrating delays.

As with all of our major infrastructure projects, we’re involving as many local South Australian businesses as possible creating local South Australian jobs.
https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/index.php ... jor-bridge

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2524 Post by Norman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Views from the Grange Road bridge. As you can see, stormwater infrastructure is currently being installed.

Footpaths have of course been upgraded, which have a concrete stone finish.

The roads are still quite wide in this section. Hopefully some of it will be replaced with some trees and greenery.

Sections of the footpath are lower than the road. I'm not sure if that's because of the building or it it's a drainage point.

ITS equipment is also going up along the project, including VMS and LUM.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2525 Post by Norman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 pm

And here's another video of Darlington from last weekend

https://youtu.be/gy9eQPrJHdQ

Llessur2002

#2526 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 am

It's really great to see the finishing touches being made to this one. As a local resident I can't wait for the landscaping to finally be started - it's a bit of a shame they haven't been able to landscape finished areas as they have progressed the project, as some areas which were completed months ago are now pretty weedy and ugly. Still, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2527 Post by rev » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 am
It's really great to see the finishing touches being made to this one. As a local resident I can't wait for the landscaping to finally be started - it's a bit of a shame they haven't been able to landscape finished areas as they have progressed the project, as some areas which were completed months ago are now pretty weedy and ugly. Still, there is light at the end of the tunnel!
I'm more anticipating driving through the trench then whether landscaping will be done.

Llessur2002

#2528 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 am

rev wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:54 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:05 am
I'm more anticipating driving through the trench then whether landscaping will be done.
I am also looking forward to completion of the corridor - don't get me wrong. I was just pointing out that my one (fairly minor) criticism of this otherwise superbly managed project is not making good the damage done to adjoining residential areas sooner than they have done. For example, most of the side roads on the western side of South Road between Port Road and Torrens Road have not seen any construction activity for months but yet the roads, kerbs and roundabouts are still significantly damaged from all of the construction traffic and nature strips etc have not been re-landscaped since they were dug up a couple of years ago. Seeing as landscaping requires a separate workforce to that working on other sections of the corridor I'm not sure why this couldn't have been done in stages, rather than waiting until the end of the project to do it all in one hit. It would alleviate some of the disruption for residents who, despite supporting the project, have been living in a busy and dusty construction zone for three years.

On several occasions on the information leaflets sent to local residents the landscaping of certain areas has been included in a timeframe and then never happened. For example, I remember reading that the landscaping alongside the new rail overpass was due to be started last May but yet still nothing's happened.

Like I say, a minor criticism and there may be a very good reason for it. Either way, am looking forward to seeing the finished article.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#2529 Post by alexczarn » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Probably late news, but it appears that the A13 designation for South Road has been retired in urban Adelaide, as it has all been coverplated for A2 South Road. Also the Salisbury Highway has now been re-designated as A9, presumably to tie into the Port River Expressway.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#2530 Post by Mr Messy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:01 pm

alexczarn wrote:Probably late news, but it appears that the A13 designation for South Road has been retired in urban Adelaide, as it has all been coverplated for A2 South Road. Also the Salisbury Highway has now been re-designated as A9, presumably to tie into the Port River Expressway.
It will be interesting when the A2 northern connector meets the A20 northern expressway. Will it use Pt Wakefield road as the split?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2531 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:06 pm

The Northern Expressway is already designated as M2. M2 will also cover the Northern Connector.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#2532 Post by Mr Messy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:23 pm

Norman wrote:The Northern Expressway is already designated as M2. M2 will also cover the Northern Connector.
Was that changed at the same time as South road?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2533 Post by rev » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Mr Messy wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:23 pm
Norman wrote:The Northern Expressway is already designated as M2. M2 will also cover the Northern Connector.
Was that changed at the same time as South road?
It's been the M2 for a while now I believe.

rhino

#2534 Post by rhino » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Google Earth shows South Road as A2 from Bedford Park north, and A13 south from there.

Interestingly, it still shows the ring road as A21.
cheers,
Rhino

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2535 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 pm

Some parts of the Torrens to Torrens project can be seen on my train trip footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dDZO5ducvw