[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
jase111
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2656 Post by jase111 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Another 1.4 billion in tomorrows budget

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2657 Post by Kasey771 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:48 pm

jase111 wrote:Another 1.4 billion in tomorrows budget
For which part of the N-S project?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

jase111
Gold-Member ;)

#2658 Post by jase111 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:55 pm

Anzac to Torrens river

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2659 Post by crawf » Sun May 06, 2018 11:31 pm

Full article

Key points.
- $1.4 billion for the north-south corridor (possible T2T to Gallipoli Underpass)
- Further infrastructure announcements to be released in the next coming weeks

*Seperate*
- Funding for Stage 2 of the Gawler Line Electrification (Salisbury to Gawler Central)
- Funding for duplication of Port Augusta's Joy Baluch Bridge
South Australia to receive $1.8 billion in Federal Budget for roads and rail, including $1.4 billion for South Rd upgrade
Sheradyn Holderhead, Federal Political Editor, The Advertiser

SOUTH Australia will be handed a massive $1.8 billion cash injection for key road and rail projects across the state in tomorrow’s Federal Budget.

Most of the funding will be dedicated to finishing the South Rd upgrade in a bid to meet the Coalition’s “done in a decade” promise.

In addition, the on-again off-again Gawler rail line electrification will finally go ahead.

Treasurer Scott Morrison said his third Budget would ensure all Australians — particularly low and middle-income families — felt the benefits of the growing economy.

The Budget includes $24.5 billion in funding for new major transport projects and initiatives across the country, forming part of the Government’s $75 billion transport infrastructure investment over the next decade.

The Advertiser understands there will be further infrastructure announcements for SA in coming weeks, but they were not ready to be signed off for the Budget given the recent election of the SA Liberals.

This will mark a massive reversal from last year’s post-Budget barney when SA’s then Labor government claimed the state was “dudded” by a lack of new spending.

Mr Morrison labelled the non-stop north-south corridor — which will get a $1.4 billion boost as part of the Government’s 10-year plan — “real backbone infrastructure” that would support strong growth in SA.

The cash includes $177 million for the Regency Rd to Pym St upgrade, which The Advertiser revealed last week.

“Increasing our investment in infrastructure has been a strong theme of this Government’s budgets,” Mr Morrison said.

“We’re really focused on things that will make our cities more liveable. We have to make our cities ... efficient.”

The stretch of South Rd between Anzac Hwy and Torrens Rd would likely be the next to get the green light, but the State Government still needs to come up with a detailed business case approved by Infrastructure Australia before the money flows. Mr Morrison has also signed off on $160 million to duplicate Port Augusta’s Joy Baluch Bridge, which would help make the national freight network more efficient.

The upgrade, which would also address pedestrian safety concerns since a separate bridge closed last year, is expected to support more than 250 jobs and take two years to build.

The Gawler rail line electrification’s first stage (Adelaide to Salisbury) began this year after the State Government decided to fund the project.

A $220 million commitment from the Federal Government in tomorrow’s Budget ensures the Salisbury to Gawler section will also be upgraded.

The project had been at the centre of a finger-pointing battle between Adelaide and Canberra since 2008.

Cities Minister Paul Fletcher said the Turnbull Government was now able to work closely with the SA Government to deliver the vital infrastructure.

“The Marshall Government is bringing a new, businesslike approach to planning for the state’s infrastructure needs,” he said. “The Turnbull Government’s record infrastructure investment commitments are designed to underpin that new approach.”

Both the Gawler rail and South Rd upgrades would be funded 50-50 by the Turnbull and SA governments, while 80 per cent of the cash for the bridge would come from the Federal Government.

Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said the Government’s 10-Year Infrastructure Investment Pipeline was a major highlight of this year’s Budget.

“It sets out our long-term infrastructure agenda to help communities, agencies and industry plan ahead for the future,” he said.

“We are investing in congestion-busting urban infrastructure, which increases productivity for our city businesses and helps people get home sooner and safer.

“The Government is also delivering projects connecting our regions with our cities and ports, and with the world, boosting local economies and creating local jobs.”

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2660 Post by how good is he » Sun May 06, 2018 11:35 pm

How long before a proposal emerges how they will do it? Does the forum expect a continuous underpass for $1.4b? The big question is property resumptions.. will they try to replicate the same path as the current T2T and take out/widen the Western side of South Rd? Any heritage/problem buildings? So then the final stage, ANZAC - Tonsley to be done in 5yrs and what cost/estimate to finish it?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2661 Post by Norman » Mon May 07, 2018 1:29 am

$1.4b will be the federal commitment, if the split is 50:50 the total cost will be $2.8b.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2662 Post by Kasey771 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:15 am

I'm glad the $1.8b also contains money for the Gawler Line electrification. :banana: :banana: It sh*ts me to tears when govts claim to be pro transport and just spend 100% of their dough on roads. :wallbash: :wallbash: A balance is the only fair way to spend transport dollars.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2663 Post by UrbanSG » Mon May 07, 2018 7:49 am

I would have thought Anzac to Tonsely would have been more of a priority given constant congestion in this area. Not to mention it would finally provide an almost direct connection to the CBD for the southern suburbs via Anzac Highway.

Also the cost to buy a large number of commercial properties in this section will only keep increasing the longer it takes.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2664 Post by SBD » Mon May 07, 2018 8:03 am

UrbanSG wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:49 am
I would have thought Anzac to Tonsely would have been more of a priority given constant congestion in this area. Not to mention it would finally provide an almost direct connection to the CBD for the southern suburbs via Anzac Highway.

Also the cost to buy a large number of commercial properties in this section will only keep increasing the longer it takes.
Do we have a lot of freight between the CBD and the southern suburbs that would benefit from that section connecting to the CBD? I thought the idea is that most of it travels to the Wingfield/Port Adelaide areas or further north, so continuing to fill in the gaps and extend the current parts is the recommended goal. The middle section has several commuter routes cross it, and is quite narrow in places now. The southern section "feels" much wider when I drive it.

[Shuz]

#2665 Post by [Shuz] » Mon May 07, 2018 8:08 am

All and well and great news.

But aren't we pretty much nearly broke? Where is Marshall finding a spare $1.4b from to fund the states 50% for South Road!?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#2666 Post by Kasey771 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:39 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:08 am
All and well and great news.

But aren't we pretty much nearly broke? Where is Marshall finding a spare $1.4b from to fund the states 50% for South Road!?
WAG: borrowing while interest rates are low?

Nort

#2667 Post by Nort » Mon May 07, 2018 10:01 am

how good is he wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:35 pm
How long before a proposal emerges how they will do it? Does the forum expect a continuous underpass for $1.4b? The big question is property resumptions.. will they try to replicate the same path as the current T2T and take out/widen the Western side of South Rd? Any heritage/problem buildings? So then the final stage, ANZAC - Tonsley to be done in 5yrs and what cost/estimate to finish it?
It's going to be a massive cost in property acquisitions. I think the biggest problems is the South Road/Henley Beach intersection and South Road/Sir Donald Bradman.

Henley Beach Road has Thebarton Theatre and St George College on opposite sides of the intersection. I can't see demolishing either of them for a road upgrade being politically viable.

Sir Donald Bradman has the large and recently upgraded Hilton Hotel on the west side and on the east side are the old Hilton Central Electricity Supply Co buildings. Not sure if they are heritage listed or not but either way I would expect some opposition to taking them out.

My guess is a combined tunnel and trench, if they are indeed looking to do Torrens to Anzac Highway. The tunnel would go from the Torrens River to James Congdon Drive with the trench then going from there to Anzac Highway. Both those spots have space for tunnel portals with minimal acquisition of property.
SouthRoad.png
SouthRoad.png (739.92 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
Longer term speculation: If the tunnel is built and progress goes well we will start to hear murmurings about the underground train line going ahead. It won't for at least a decade, but we will see it talked about more as an inevitability.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#2668 Post by ReallyBad » Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 am

I think you will be pretty close to the mark there Nort - I have thought the same about Henley and Sir Don area. I also wondered why they stopped short of the River Torrens and also allowed the Thebarton Community centre, but looking at it if they use the space either just north or south of the river as a tunnel entrance/exit then a cut and fill method could be "easily" used for a tunnel.
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#2669 Post by A-Town » Mon May 07, 2018 10:39 am

What's going to be done about the Gallipoli Underpass? It's currently two lanes both ways, but needs to be 3 for the continuous motorway. I keep saying articles saying this section is complete, but surely it's going to need to be extended to 3 lays each way.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#2670 Post by ReallyBad » Mon May 07, 2018 10:45 am

I thought the Gallipoli underpass was wide enough for three lanes - the bike lane would need to go though, but I guess bike lanes don't exist on Expressway's anyway.
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.