[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

#2746 Post by [Shuz] » Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 pm

An Edward Street tunnel is more palatable than land acquisition along Cross Road. Smart thinking Goodsy.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

claybro

#2747 Post by claybro » Mon May 14, 2018 5:57 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:55 pm
An Edward Street tunnel is more palatable than land acquisition along Cross Road. Smart thinking Goodsy.
A tunnel anywhere is more palatable than land aquesition and yet land aquesition is how SA prefer to roll. Comparing Adelaide to the Eastern states regarding tunnel length etc is not relevant, because SA does not have the money, and land aquesition is cheaper than tunnelling. Now, ask the question, would South Australians prefer tolls for a tunnel, or a line of houses along Cross Road be bulldozed ? I think we all know the answer.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#2748 Post by ReallyBad » Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 pm

I hate houses - we all should live in our cars...
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2749 Post by Goodsy » Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 pm

ReallyBad wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:02 pm
I hate houses - we all should live in our cars...
I'd agree if this was Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane.. but our road network is so woefully underdeveloped. It's pathetic that the east/west corridor shares the road with kids walking to school

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2750 Post by how good is he » Mon May 14, 2018 8:20 pm

I would have thought all the shops/houses on the other side of South Rd would be going instead and Polonia/Croydon Kings wouldn’t be affected. They may want to move and get a $$$m payout but is it likely? What’s the forum think?

Croydon Kings’ seeks new ground as Polonia Reserve comes under threat of South Rd upgrade

A FIVE-time state soccer champion fears it may fold without funding to relocate, as its home ground of 68 years is potentially swallowed up by the South Rd upgrade.

Croydon Kings’ likely departure from Polonia Reserve was confirmed this week, when the State Government received $1.4 billion in the Federal Budget for road projects.

Part of the funding has been earmarked for the $354 million overhaul of South Rd between Regency Rd and Pym St, where the Kings’ headquarters have been located since 1950.

Croydon chairman Angelo Colangelo said the plan opened the door for the club to move its senior teams and operations to its junior base at nearby Regency Park Oval.

But he said bringing the proposed venue up to National Premier Leagues SA standards hinged on receiving $6-7 million government backing.

“For the survival of this club, we obviously can’t stay where we are,” Colangelo said.

“We can’t have juniors and seniors away from one another. We have to integrate into one ground.

“If we don’t move or change, we die as a club. Now we’re waiting for them (State Government).”

Croydon hired a consultant two years ago to begin discussions with all levels of government, as work commenced on the North-South Corridor project.

But Colangelo said the Kings had been unable to progress with their long-term vision until funding to renew the section of road adjoining their ground was locked in.
He said foundation members of the club, formerly known as Polonia, were saddened but understanding about leaving their original home.

“As we’ve said to them, if we don’t move there is no club,” said Colangelo, of the reigning NPL SA champion.

“We’re not taking away the Polish tradition or their heritage.

“They (original supporters) are on board, they’re happy for it.

“As long as we don’t throw away the past, because that’s what built the club.”

The Kings have devised plans for the redevelopment of Regency Park Oval, located 1km north of its present ground.

If funded, it would include an artificial pitch, two training fields, clubrooms and a grandstand, which would allow the club’s junior numbers to grow.

“This is part of a 10, 20, 30-year plan for us,” said Colangelo, who predicted Croydon might move as soon as 2020.

“Once it’s approved, its for the next generation of players to come through.

“But we’ve just got to be patient. Now for us it’s a wait and see.”

The State Government said work on the section of South Rd, adjacent Polonia Reserve, was expected to begin next year.

Transport minister Stephan Knoll would not commit to funding Croydon’s relocation, but said consultation would begin in coming weeks.

“The government will review how best we can assist this club, and other stakeholders, as the process evolves,” Knoll said.

A spokesman for Port Adelaide Enfield Council said it had requested $6 million State Government funding to upgrade Regency Park Oval.

He said the council had received a letter from the Transport Department regarding a potential land acquisition of an undefined portion of Polonia Reserve.

“As always, the council will work with local sports clubs to ensure the best outcome for all parties,” the spokesman said.

Football Federation SA chief executive Michael Carter said the governing body had held discussions with the council and State Government to support Croydon’s cause.

“If land is acquired as a result of the South Rd extension, there is a real risk that a strong club with an outstanding history and participation base will be displaced,” Carter said.

“Croydon Kings have an outstanding plan for the future growth and development of the club including the consolidation of venues to Regency Oval.

“It goes without saying that we support clubs who have a great vision and are willing to partner will all levels of government to achieve a positive outcome.”

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2751 Post by rev » Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Move them to the large empty lot on Days Road just behind the Bridgestone center on the corner of Days/Regency.
Use it as a catalyst to move out the industrial sites in that immediate area and redevelop it into housing, as well as the crappy shops across the road.
That entire intersection is a major eyesore.
Could sell the remainder of Polonia that wouldn't be used by the NS corridor to a fuel retailer other then OTR and create some decent competition in that area of the North West.

SBD

#2752 Post by SBD » Mon May 14, 2018 10:31 pm

rev wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 pm
Move them to the large empty lot on Days Road just behind the Bridgestone center on the corner of Days/Regency.
Use it as a catalyst to move out the industrial sites in that immediate area and redevelop it into housing, as well as the crappy shops across the road.
Could sell the remainder of Polonia that wouldn't be used by the NS corridor to a fuel retailer other then OTR and create some decent competition in that area of the North West.
I find it fascinating that so many South Australians object to buying their fuel from a South Australian family-owned company (OTR) and would rather buy from national public company supermarket chains (Coles and Woolworths). I notice another South Australian family supermarket company (Drakes) has started opening fuel outlets. Drake actually employs more people than OTR according to their websites. Are the AM/PM outlets also SA family-owned?

ChillyPhilly

#2753 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 14, 2018 11:20 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:31 pm
rev wrote:
I find it fascinating that so many South Australians object to buying their fuel from a South Australian family-owned company (OTR) and would rather buy from national public company supermarket chains (Coles and Woolworths). I notice another South Australian family supermarket company (Drakes) has started opening fuel outlets. Drake actually employs more people than OTR according to their websites. Are the AM/PM outlets also SA family-owned?
OTR don't have the best reputation. Consider it an effective rolling boycott, if you will.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#2754 Post by how good is he » Mon May 14, 2018 11:34 pm

AM/PM is SA based, owner is Frank Agostino former Mitsubishi dealer. OTR have re-invested many millions back into our state, esp. the $110m Motorsport Park.

SBD

#2755 Post by SBD » Tue May 15, 2018 12:11 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:20 pm
SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
OTR don't have the best reputation. Consider it an effective rolling boycott, if you will.
Coles and Woolworths don't always have the best reputations either. In my area, Coles Express (Shell) is frequently the most expensive, almost always for diesel by at least 5c. The smaller OTR is my preferred stop, the staff are always friendly, and it is not as busy as the larger one and mostly cheaper than Caltex/Woolworths too.

Back on-topic, I doubt that OTR would want another outlet on the southbound lanes so soon before the one by Torrens Road. I'd imagine it might be interested in a north-bound service centre near the Crispy Cream/Bolivar interchange on the Northern Connector though. Next fuel and coffee outlet on the highway is in Truro or Windsor (depending which way you go).

fifty
High Rise Poster!

#2756 Post by fifty » Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 am

Here's my go....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UVCbl ... sp=sharing

Two tunnels of about 1.5km, following Brownhill Creek in between, popping out just under the train line and following the already wide Daws Rd corridor to NS Motorway.Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2757 Post by Norman » Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 am

fifty wrote:Here's my go....

Two tunnels of about 1.5km, following Brownhill Creek in between, popping out just under the train line and following the already wide Daws Rd corridor to NS Motorway.Image

I like this idea. I would extend the tunnel past Goodwood Road though, Springbank Road would be a tough one to handle politically. Once you get to Daws Road there is a lot of industrial land you can easily take over.

claybro

#2758 Post by claybro » Tue May 15, 2018 10:32 am

fifty wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 am
Here's my go....

Once again guys, SA does not have the money for tunnels-unless it is prepared to introduce a tolling model which is highly unlikely as it does not have the traffic volumes on a single route. Federal funding would not be available for such a project without significant funding from the SA government. Also, this route really does join the motorway too far to the south.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2759 Post by Goodsy » Tue May 15, 2018 10:42 am

claybro wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:32 am
Once again guys, SA does not have the money for tunnels-unless it is prepared to introduce a tolling model which is highly unlikely as it does not have the traffic volumes on a single route. Federal funding would not be available for such a project without significant funding from the SA government. Also, this route really does join the motorway too far to the south.
the property acquisition through those suburbs would probably be comparable to a full length tunnel

Nort

#2760 Post by Nort » Tue May 15, 2018 11:25 am

SBD wrote:
rev wrote:
If they treated their employees the same as the other big companies it would be an easy choice to support the SA company, but unfortunately OTR has a well-deserved reputation for mistreating its staff with practices such as forcing them into traineeships so they can pay them less which can be most generously described as "technically legal".