[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#2911 Post by muzzamo » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:00 am

SBD wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm
Much better than coiled razor wire. i suspect its primary purpose is to prevent people from walking across the "bridge" or trying to be the first to tag it.
I reckon as well one of their key considerations would also be low maintenance - i.e. preferably using materials and designs that will practically never need to be cleaned or maintained during it's lifetime. Otherwise they would need to program a subcontractor to come in e.g. yearly and clean it, along with $200+ per hour traffic management, etc.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2912 Post by rev » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 am

SBD wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm
Mpol03 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:19 pm
They really need a creative in their department. This looks cheap af.
Much better than coiled razor wire. i suspect its primary purpose is to prevent people from walking across the "bridge" or trying to be the first to tag it.
Those orange screens wont stop taggers. If they really want to get on that services 'bridge' they will and those orange screens will be the first to get tagged.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#2913 Post by Mr Messy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:Anyone been through Darlington lately? How the progress? Any idea when they are going to move the next bridge?
DPTI have just uploaded a video to YouTube on how they will do the move, so it will happen soon(tm)

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] [U/C] [U/C] [U/C] [U/C] [U/C] [U/C] [U/C] [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#2914 Post by Waewick » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Went for a quick walk 13.10.2018 cnr Port and South Roads.

For some reason photos have mixed up.

Looking east down Port Road Image
Looking South down South Road

Looking East about to Cross South Road.

These are all of the Northern Side walking West.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#2915 Post by Eurostar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Is the stretch of road a real motorway or just motorway to sound cool? Aren't motorways meant to have emergency lanes, emergency phones?

Patrick_27

#2916 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:26 pm
Is the stretch of road a real motorway or just motorway to sound cool? Aren't motorways meant to have emergency lanes, emergency phones?
Yes, there are specs for a roadway to be classed as an M1/Motorway/Freeway. One of these is the emergency lanes either side of each direction, the other is the length of entries and exits to the road. Which is why I believe we have resorted to called certain roads 'expressways', that said, whilst this won't meet the specs, most of Melbourne's freeways don't meet the specs of an M1 (i.e. Tullamarine at points). So I'd say they're calling it a motorway because there will likely be more points that it meets the specs of a motorway than points where it won't.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2917 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:49 am

Is there no provision for buses on the segments under construction? I can't see any bus stops in the animations.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#2918 Post by muzzamo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:18 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:49 am
Is there no provision for buses on the segments under construction? I can't see any bus stops in the animations.
It might be worth asking them that. There is nothing specific in the PDF here but it wouldn't suprise me if this something that they addressed later on in the design process.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2919 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:49 am
There's no bus route that would use the lowered section of the motorway. The local surface road alongside the motorway has indented bus stops.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#2920 Post by Furyan » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Mr Messy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:54 pm
Tonsley213 wrote:Anyone been through Darlington lately? How the progress? Any idea when they are going to move the next bridge?
DPTI have just uploaded a video to YouTube on how they will do the move, so it will happen soon(tm)
At the Darlington Community Information Session last month project team staff expected it to be done this month.

Also what will be done shortly is the temporary relocation of the Flinders Drive access road ( old Main South Road) which runs next to this second bridge. This will be moved south of its current alignment and most likely go up the down ramp at the newly constructed Flinders Drive Bridge. This will then allow excavation under this Flinders Drive Bridge.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#2921 Post by neoballmon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:58 pm

I got an email today saying it will be 24th-27th of this month.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#2922 Post by neoballmon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Also a question regarding this tunnel that's being investigated, if they did go with a cut and cover tunnel, how would they deal with traffic management? Surely they wouldn't demolish properties forg a temporary road?

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2923 Post by rev » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:39 am

neoballmon wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 pm
Also a question regarding this tunnel that's being investigated, if they did go with a cut and cover tunnel, how would they deal with traffic management? Surely they wouldn't demolish properties forg a temporary road?

Well, nobody knows right now do they? There's no actual plan for a tunnel, it's just talk, mostly political talk as a distraction from other things.
What would the rest of the motorway sections look like? Would they be ground level, or would it be a sunken motorway like T2T?
So in that case, they would acquire properties, there would be a ground level road, and down the middle the sunken motorway. That motorway would lead onto the 'tunnel', which in this case would basically be a really long underpass that would avoid the intersection of say Henley Beach Road, where there is the heritage listed Thebarton Theater and council chambers, and a school that's had millions spent on upgrades/expansion, and a very short distance away more heritage listed buildings on South Road frontage.

If the sunken motorway is 6 lanes(3 in each direction) wide, would it then narrow for the tunnel sections? or would the depth of the motorway be sufficient to have an underpass/tunnel partially running underneath part of these buildings? Or would the tunnel need to go deeper so they don't destabilize the foundations of those buildings?

[Shuz]

#2924 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:27 am

Any tunnel would have to be a bored tunnel from T2T to pass under the water table for the River Torrens and avoid building foundations and other services under South Road for the bit through Mile End. I can't see them doing a cut and cover as that would require property acquisition for a temporary surface road, to which point itself negates the need for a cut and cover and would just be a trench instead.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#2925 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:43 am

My prediction (have I said this before?) is nothing remotely as grand:

The surface roads/trench configuration will continue south from the end of T2T - West Thebby will go, as will most of the heritage buildings along South Road. There'll be a short cut and cover tunnel under HBR intersection to spare the Thebby and the school, the trench and surface roads will continue south to another cut and cover tunnel at SDB Drive to spare the Hilton and the Electric Supply Co buildings and then all the way to Cross Road. Southwards from there the jury's out as to whether they'd even bother trenching the motorway, or whether they'd leave it all at the surface. Depends on how the cost of all of the commercial property acquisition stacks up I guess.

I'd genuinely be amazed if we end up with any form of bored solution when there are much cheaper/simpler alternatives and, in reality, I can't see any more than a handful of people crying over the West Thebby and a couple of churches etc on South Road.
Last edited by Llessur2002 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.