[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3046 Post by rev » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 am

You do realise that the Pym st lights are temporary, that they have already started preliminary work on the next section, which is Pym St to Regency Road...

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3047 Post by how good is he » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:21 am

Yes but they also have had the last 2-3 years to know & plan to get rid of them by now (and at negligible cost). Also the next stage will be at least another 2 years to complete. But yes it’s “temporary”.
Last edited by how good is he on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3048 Post by crawf » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:36 am

how good is he wrote:One last thing, anyone know if there can/will be speed cameras in the lowered motorway? I hope not as the speed limit was & will be very easy to go over.
It’s a guarantee there will be.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3049 Post by Waewick » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:23 am

crawf wrote:
how good is he wrote:One last thing, anyone know if there can/will be speed cameras in the lowered motorway? I hope not as the speed limit was & will be very easy to go over.
It’s a guarantee there will be.
Yes, they must keep us safe with those safety cameras in such dangerous roads.

waz94
Gold-Member ;)

#3050 Post by waz94 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:36 am

I drove on it yesterday and, whilst it doesn’t bother me, it is a bit of a roller coaster. Now I understand that this is a cost cutting exercise and I’d love to know how many dollars were saved by doing this. I’m presuming it was in the millions and maybe the reason they could include the Torrens rd underpass after the initial plans.

Also driving north before the river Torrens is two lanes and south over the same section is 3 lanes. Looking at the placement of the medium strip, there looks ample room to move it and have 3 lanes heading northwards.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#3051 Post by Goodsy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:17 pm

well that didn't take long

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3052 Post by how good is he » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:07 pm

Turbo Tom christening his legacy project?

claybro

#3053 Post by claybro » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Surprised to read on comments here some sections are 2 lanes only heading north? I really think this will bite them in the not too distant future. Merging on expressways is a major cause for congestion. If the trench is wide enough, why have they not just kept the number of lanes consistent? Once the regency section is complete, this expressway will be really busy I imagine and too much merging will cause issues.

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3054 Post by Mr Messy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:08 pm

claybro wrote:Surprised to read on comments here some sections are 2 lanes only heading north? I really think this will bite them in the not too distant future. Merging on expressways is a major cause for congestion. If the trench is wide enough, why have they not just kept the number of lanes consistent? Once the regency section is complete, this expressway will be really busy I imagine and too much merging will cause issues.
The motorway itself is 3 lanes each way the whole way through. The roads on each end do drop

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#3055 Post by Eurostar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:16 pm

claybro wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm
Surprised to read on comments here some sections are 2 lanes only heading north? I really think this will bite them in the not too distant future. Merging on expressways is a major cause for congestion. If the trench is wide enough, why have they not just kept the number of lanes consistent? Once the regency section is complete, this expressway will be really busy I imagine and too much merging will cause issues.
South Australians don't know how to merge :lol:

Also seeing how the trench will be 80km/h that means drivers must keep left unless overtaking

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#3056 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Fantastic road, although I noticed there are already burnout marks. The culprit has been caught. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-30/h ... d/10322730

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#3057 Post by Thunderstruck » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:12 am

Eurostar wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:16 pm
claybro wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:34 pm
South Australians don't know how to merge :lol:

Also seeing how the trench will be 80km/h that means drivers must keep left unless overtaking
There is no way knowing that will happen on such a busy road.

Looking forward to driving it tomorrow.
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [U/C] [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3058 Post by bits » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:39 am

Eurostar wrote: Also seeing how the trench will be 80km/h that means drivers must keep left unless overtaking
The rule is if the speed limit is over 80km/h eg 90km/h or if sign posted.
It also does not apply if the driver considers the road is congested. Eg it would never apply even if sign posted.

ChillyPhilly

#3059 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:53 pm

Somehow, I doubt there will be - the Southern Expressway doesn't have any, and I think at best extremely rarely even has police speed radars.

I've now done one trip of the southbound (unexpectedly; 10.30am the morning it opened) and one trip northbound. Impressive effort by the project team. Very clean and crisp. Even at the temporary limit of 60 km/h, it makes travelling from the River Torrens to Pym Street feel like nothing (whereas previously it was a chore, even late at night on the surface access roads prior to opening).
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3060 Post by rev » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:33 pm

how good is he wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:21 am
Yes but they also have had the last 2-3 years to know & plan to get rid of them by now (and at negligible cost). Also the next stage will be at least another 2 years to complete. But yes it’s “temporary”.
Yes and work has started on that section already.

Removing those lights would have gone well beyond the scope of the t2t project.