[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3076 Post by SBD » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:17 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 pm
T2T itself is outstanding. What a contrast from what that stretch was to what it is today.

One thing I've noticed is since T2T has opened, the Superway has been considerably busy - especially southbound and the South Rd/Regency Rd intersection. It shows the importance that the link between T2T and the Supweway needs to be started ASAP (not holding my breath this will happen with Knoll running the show these days).
Do you think it's extra school holiday traffic, or have people switched from using Port Wakefield Road/Churchill Road and Main North Road during the roadworks to using South Road/North South Motorway?

Patrick_27

#3077 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:44 am

Don't really know where to put this, but out of curiosity, has there been anything stopping the upgrade of the Salisbury highway to meet the standard of the PREXY and then merging it to make one expressway? I know that a lot of it's traffic will dissipate with the opening of the Northern Connector but there will still be a consistent use of the road and it will likely grow again in time...

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3078 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am

SBD wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:17 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
T2T itself is outstanding. What a contrast from what that stretch was to what it is today.

One thing I've noticed is since T2T has opened, the Superway has been considerably busy - especially southbound and the South Rd/Regency Rd intersection. It shows the importance that the link between T2T and the Supweway needs to be started ASAP (not holding my breath this will happen with Knoll running the show these days).
Do you think it's extra school holiday traffic, or have people switched from using Port Wakefield Road/Churchill Road and Main North Road during the roadworks to using South Road/North South Motorway?
Probably a combination of both - though having said that it went back to a more normal run this morning.

Another thing I've noticed (and some have alluded to it on here already) is the number of people speeding along T2T. It's somewhat feels like some drivers think 60 is a suggested speed limit, not the actual limit currently. The cops would have a field day if they wanted to enforce the speed limit through the trench!

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#3079 Post by Listy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am

SBD wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:

There's been a noticeable increase in peak hour congestion at the southern end since the opening. In the morning between 7-9, traffic is now piling up all the way from Henley Beach road back past the bridge over the Torrens. It might settle a bit over the coming weeks. It's not unsurprising and certainly not a fault of the new road, but it does highlight the reality that as more and more of South Rd is turned into motorway, peak hour bottlenecks in the remaining incomplete sections will probably get worse, so completing the whole thing will become a more and more urgent priority.

rhino

#3080 Post by rhino » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:26 am

Listy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am
There's been a noticeable increase in peak hour congestion at the southern end since the opening. In the morning between 7-9, traffic is now piling up all the way from Henley Beach road back past the bridge over the Torrens. It might settle a bit over the coming weeks. It's not unsurprising and certainly not a fault of the new road, but it does highlight the reality that as more and more of South Rd is turned into motorway, peak hour bottlenecks in the remaining incomplete sections will probably get worse, so completing the whole thing will become a more and more urgent priority.
Induced demand - Build it and They will Come.
cheers,
Rhino

claybro

#3081 Post by claybro » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 am

rhino wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:26 am
Listy wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am
Induced demand - Build it and They will Come.
Have other parallel roads, like the rat run of Marion/Holbrooks/East/Kilkenny/Regency now reduced in volume though? I imagine they increased volume during construction of the motorway, but now at least some of the load is shared. I remember being surprised how free flowing the construction section surface road was the last time I was there, so assumed some of the traffic was on other roads. Now it is maybe back to the South road of old, which was very heavily used prior to construction.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#3082 Post by mawsonguy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:49 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:44 am
Don't really know where to put this, but out of curiosity, has there been anything stopping the upgrade of the Salisbury highway to meet the standard of the PREXY and then merging it to make one expressway? I know that a lot of it's traffic will dissipate with the opening of the Northern Connector but there will still be a consistent use of the road and it will likely grow again in time...
How? It's residential for most of it's length so there would be a huge cost in acquiring adjacent land and a raised motorway is out of the question. The water table is only 2m below the surface so a trench would be very difficult.
Why? Traffic will move onto the Northern Connector or Pt Wakefield Rd (which will have reduced traffic) after the NC is built. The real issue is when will they upgrade Elder Smith Road and Kings Road to cater for traffic trying to get onto and off the NC? Elder Smith Road was slated for widening to 4 lanes and extension to Port Wakefield Road in 10+ years when the Integrated Transport and Land Use Plan was issued in July 2015. The plan also mentions duplicating Kings Rd and grade separating the railway line at Kings Road in 10+ years. Salisbury Highway doesn't get a mention in the plan.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3083 Post by crawf » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Patrick is probably only referring to the section from the N-S Motorway and Mawson Lakes, which is one of the busiest stretch of road in Adelaide.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#3084 Post by Pistol » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:56 pm

SBD wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:

Living around Churchill Road, I have noticed the huge volume of traffic that switched to this road while T2T was being constructed.
I am really hoping that this traffic switches back to South Road soon but I haven't seen any change yet.

Just out of curiosity, wonder if the budget for the T2T includes funds to repair all the arterial roads that were used while this project was happening?
Churchill Road was only resurfaced about 5-6 years ago but all the heavy traffic on this road has taken its toll and ripped the surface up.

Don't worry, I know the answer to my own question...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

SBD

#3085 Post by SBD » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:08 pm

crawf wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:11 pm
Patrick is probably only referring to the section from the N-S Motorway and Mawson Lakes, which is one of the busiest stretch of road in Adelaide.
I think at least one carriageway gets moved as part of the Southern Interchange works, so you will get a new surface from Hanson Road to the wetlands, at least. Between the Northern Connector and Port Wakefield Road, it looks like cycling is banned, required to use the path through the wetlands, past OTR and out to PWR. There is one left-in, left-out intersection on each side of Salisbury Highway, plus a parking bay each side. I think they all have slowdown and speed up lanes. What more is needed to make it "motorway standard"?

Oops - checking Google Maps before clicking "post" I see right turns are permitted at Magazine Road, and there are separate exists for OTR and Kidman Road. So closing the median opening at Magazine Road would be needed, but I don't see much else required.

Krint
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3086 Post by Krint » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:27 pm

To ease the build up at Mawson Lakes and use of Elder Smith Drive , hopefully the NS motorway will eventually link up with Montague rd with a overpass over the railwayline and along Churchill rd nth.
Give another access point to the motorway .

SBD

#3087 Post by SBD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Krint wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:27 pm
To ease the build up at Mawson Lakes and use of Elder Smith Drive , hopefully the NS motorway will eventually link up with Montague rd with a overpass over the railwayline and along Churchill rd nth.
Give another access point to the motorway .
To get to areas west and south of the City, my car GPS currently recommends Elder Smith Drive, I think as it minimises the 60km/h limit distance. It's usually quicker to use John RIce Avenue in the mornings, and Port Wakefield Road/Northern Expressway/Curtis Road in the evenings. I expect the Northern Connector will make Curtis Road the route of choice all the time for my household (and nearby suburbs), and Womma Road for the northern Elizabeth area. Curtis Road is going to become quite congested, but it should ease Elder Smith Drive somewhat.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#3088 Post by Furyan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:25 pm

Just some food for thought.

With the opening of the lowered motorway on the T2T North-South Corridor this now means that 7 potential stops have now gone.
There are 14 potential stops currently funded and in the process of being delivered.
With 21 left to go we have a 1.2 billion pledge from the feds and assuming this is a 80-20 fed to state ratio this would mean at least 5 more ticked off.

ChillyPhilly

#3089 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:44 am
Technically, the only thing stopping the road from being 'expressway standard' is the at-grade Magazine Road intersection. It does need an upgrade though: widening, safety enhancements (particularly on the approach to the overpass over Port Wakefield Road), an improved median, some lighting and biggest of all, a new road surface.

Importantly, what will serve it just as well is an upgrade to intersections along all of Salisbury Highway between Kings Road and the Motorway. I still would have liked to see the below happen:

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3090 Post by rev » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:45 pm

I just noticed there's something missing...signs.