[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3871 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:17 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 am
muzzamo wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:34 am
A 220m section of shoddy concrete between two pieces that dramatically dropped off the South Rd Darlington Upgrade will be totally replaced, possibly as soon as today.

The State Government has confirmed that works will start this week, weather permitting, to take down the existing shotcrete between two sections which “slumped” in May.

Large “soil nails” will then be driven into the embankment for additional stability, before a new sheeting of spray-on concrete is layered back over the top to finish the job.

Acting Transport Minister David Speirs expects the re-concreting work to be finished by the end of the year, which had been the longstanding opening date for the $620 million project.

Inspections are also being carried out on the strength of other parts of the Darlington Upgrade walls, but there is not understood to have been any weaknesses detected so far.

Mr Speirs said: “Investigation and remediation works have been ongoing for a number of weeks, and we are seeing continued remediation works this week”.

“We are getting on with the job of fixing this issue as quickly and responsibly as possible,” he said. “Our priority is to finish the Darlington project and open up more lanes to traffic so people can get to work and home faster.”

A rainwater drain or natural water course not identified during planning has been blamed for both collapses. The Government says the fix coming this week will be a comprehensive treatment that works, regardless of the source of the suspect water.

Costs associated with works undertaken on site have been borne by the contractor.

Last month, a parliamentary committee heard that 2m of standing water had been found in a trench behind where the motorway walls had collapsed. The fight over who is ultimately financially responsible, the contractor or taxpayer, appeared headed to the courts.

The upgrade was first announced by the former Labor state government, after the bulk of the funding was committed by the federal Coalition as part of a non-stop South Rd plan.

When opened, it will deliver an upgrade of about 3.3km to the existing Main South Rd, including a non-stop motorway between the Southern Expressway and Tonsley Blvd. The project also features a lowered, non-stop motorway passing underneath Flinders Drive, Sturt Rd, Sutton Rd and Mimosa Tce and Tonsley Blvd. A non-stop ride from Gawler to Old Noarlunga, when the South Rd freeway is finished, is still many years away.
What is the source? Is this a DPTI press release or is it a news story?
What is it with you and sources?

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#3872 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:17 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
muzzamo wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:34 am
When a quote appears in a post, is it not a reasonable question to ask where it comes from? Most posters do give a link or other indication of where quotes come from.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#3873 Post by Spotto » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
PD2/20 wrote:
It’s from The Advertiser.

Quite a rude response Patrick_27. Why wouldn’t you want to know the source of an article?

Patrick_27

#3874 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:40 pm

Spotto wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
PD2/20 wrote:
It’s from The Advertiser.

Quite a rude response Patrick_27. Why wouldn’t you want to know the source of an article?
Not a matter of not wanting to know, but figuring out where the article comes from is not rocket science, paste some of the article into google and it'll come up with an answer.

claybro

#3875 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:00 pm

So there is a change.org petition going around about "saving the Thebarton Theatre". People already have their panties in a bunch about a demolition that will never happen. Does not bode well for anything other than a completely buried tunnel through here, regardless of how well a trench might managed.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#3876 Post by Mr Smith » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:00 pm
So there is a change.org petition going around about "saving the Thebarton Theatre". People already have their panties in a bunch about a demolition that will never happen. Does not bode well for anything other than a completely buried tunnel through here, regardless of how well a trench might managed.
IMO there is very little redeemable architecture between Brickworks and Tonsley. How the West Thebarton Hotel is heritage listed is quite beyond me. The church near the corner of HB Road appears be the exception. The Thebarton Theatre is a very average building IMO. As for some bluestone cottages that are interspersed between shops and tacky commercial premises, viz, Just Commodore Spares, seems an absolute indulgence to build a tunnel where a trench like T2T would perfectly well suffice.

claybro

#3877 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:53 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 pm
claybro wrote:
IMO there is very little redeemable architecture between Brickworks and Tonsley. How the West Thebarton Hotel is heritage listed is quite beyond me. The church near the corner of HB Road appears be the exception. The Thebarton Theatre is a very average building IMO. As for some bluestone cottages that are interspersed between shops and tacky commercial premises, viz, Just Commodore Spares, seems an absolute indulgence to build a tunnel where a trench like T2T would perfectly well suffice.
Agree re the West Thebarton hotel. There is nothing of merit left in its current form. Individual houses likewise. However, the cluster of building near the intersection, the old Town Hall, the old Library, the large Church warrant saving, not only because of their significantly intact architecture, but also their importance to community over many decades-which is also taken into account. Specifically with the Theatre though-(the only subject of the petition) is not close enough to the intersection and probably the only one NOT to be at risk. I just find it amusing how people jump on the bandwagon of being enraged at something they know very little about.

Mr Smith
High Rise Poster!

#3878 Post by Mr Smith » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:53 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:53 pm
Mr Smith wrote:
claybro wrote:
Agree re the West Thebarton hotel. There is nothing of merit left in its current form. Individual houses likewise. However, the cluster of building near the intersection, the old Town Hall, the old Library, the large Church warrant saving, not only because of their significantly intact architecture, but also their importance to community over many decades-which is also taken into account. Specifically with the Theatre though-(the only subject of the petition) is not close enough to the intersection and probably the only one NOT to be at risk. I just find it amusing how people jump on the bandwagon of being enraged at something they know very little about.
So a short tunnel commencing north of George St? and traffic emerging into a trench just south of HB Rd. Maybe another short tunnel under Bradman. Why they would even consider further tunnelling is beyond me. Frankly Tonsley to north of Castle Plaza is predominantly light industrial and the simple solution there could be a Superway structure. Emerson is interesting, I'm salivating at a multi level 🍀 leaf stack

Patrick_27

#3879 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
claybro wrote:
Thankfully you're not in change of the heritage register. Thebarton Theatre is in need of an upgrade, but to call it an average building? Please. Have you ever stepped foot inside of the theatre? The you have the cultural significance that it holds. I think the petition is premature overkill at best, but perhaps that's what it needs to be, after all these kinds of public campaigns always come about once the final proposals are out there and there's no going back, maybe a petition now will bring about further consideration for those involved in the design and planning stage. Those in favour of progress can chime on about how it's a replaceable venue, but my response to that is; sure, where? And who is going to fund its replacement? And I don't just mean a concrete shell like the AEC Theatre, I mean a proper theatre with good acoustics, backline etc. A lack of consideration and protection for these kinds of establishments is what leads to Adelaide being branded a backwater.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3880 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Mr Smith wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:53 pm
interesting, I'm salivating at a multi level 🍀 leaf stack
You salivate? I think yuck.

And btw, heritage is not only about architecture or things that 'look good'.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: North-South Motorway

#3881 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:11 pm

claybro wrote:So there is a change.org petition going around about "saving the Thebarton Theatre". People already have their panties in a bunch about a demolition that will never happen. Does not bode well for anything other than a completely buried tunnel through here, regardless of how well a trench might managed.
It is so Adelaide to start a petition like that.

Truely embarrassing.

Nathan

#3882 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:38 pm

I'm really not understanding the hatred of the Thebby on here, it is a significant venue and a massive cultural contributor to this city. Of course there was going to be a response to any threat to it. If it's "a demolition that will never happen", then why can't the government just come straight out and rule it out? Adelaide has lost enough venues over time, and people sure as hell don't want to see this one added to the list.

ChillyPhilly

#3883 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:43 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:38 pm
I'm really not understanding the hatred of the Thebby on here, it is a significant venue and a massive cultural contributor to this city. Of course there was going to be a response to any threat to it. If it's "a demolition that will never happen", then why can't the government just come straight out and rule it out? Adelaide has lost enough venues over time, and people sure as hell don't want to see this one added to the list.
Not only that, but venues have their hands full with Marshall's venue licence fee hike.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#3884 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:38 pm
Except for Mr Smith calling it an average building I don't think there has been negativity expressed about retaining Thebby. It's just that it is a non story- whipped up by a local rag. Thebarton theatre is not in the way of any of the proposed Motorway methods, and will not be bulldozed.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3885 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 pm
Thankfully you're not in change of the heritage register. Thebarton Theatre is in need of an upgrade, but to call it an average building? Please. Have you ever stepped foot inside of the theatre? The you have the cultural significance that it holds. I think the petition is premature overkill at best, but perhaps that's what it needs to be, after all these kinds of public campaigns always come about once the final proposals are out there and there's no going back, maybe a petition now will bring about further consideration for those involved in the design and planning stage. Those in favour of progress can chime on about how it's a replaceable venue, but my response to that is; sure, where? And who is going to fund its replacement? And I don't just mean a concrete shell like the AEC Theatre, I mean a proper theatre with good acoustics, backline etc. A lack of consideration and protection for these kinds of establishments is what leads to Adelaide being branded a backwater.
Last time I went to Thebby it was dilapidated, with a rank smell throughout the complex, and terrible acoustics. The first two you can pretty much lay at the feet of it's owner (Weslo), but you'd need a major upgrade to fix the latter problem. If the motorway is happening, may as well demolish and rebuild a state of the art theatre in it's place (and Weslo are not considered for the operation of any replacement venue).