[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4576 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:36 am

There's extra width available at the old brickworks, I think a tunnel portal there until James Congdon Drive. A cheaper section from James Congdon to Anzac Highway, to get back some of the tunnel costs. The tunnel would be 3km and the cheaper next section 1.5km. A lot of properties would need to go though. From Anzac Highway to Tonsley it's 5.5km and who knows. So I think an extra bridge over the Torrens would be needed.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4577 Post by SBD » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:50 am

bits wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:00 am
Nothing needs to happen at the river other than knock over a few buildings and block a side street off. Once the buildings are gone the corner can be eased via the new land.
I imagine the motorway will be pushed to Jervois Ave.
I'm pretty sure there is enough room for 3+3 on the existing bridge.
If the N-S Motorway consumes all six lanes over the bridge, then a new bridge would be required somewhere else for local traffic, including access from the north to Thebarton and Torrensville, and from the south to Welland and Hindmarsh. I think the motorway needs to be either above or below the existing bridge and river unless the shopping centre can be sacrificed to widen the road to the west..

claybro

#4578 Post by claybro » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:39 pm

bits wrote:
Nothing needs to happen at the river other than knock over a few buildings and block a side street off. Once the buildings are gone the corner can be eased via the new land.
And what of the cemetery?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4579 Post by rev » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:12 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:50 am
bits wrote:
If the N-S Motorway consumes all six lanes over the bridge, then a new bridge would be required somewhere else for local traffic, including access from the north to Thebarton and Torrensville, and from the south to Welland and Hindmarsh. I think the motorway needs to be either above or below the existing bridge and river unless the shopping centre can be sacrificed to widen the road to the west..
No it doesnt. South Road Grand junction road intersection, you can no longer continue north on the surface road.

They could make the bridge section of motorway 2/2, bring the regular South Road right up to the cemetery boundary without a footpath with 1 lane up to West Thebby road.
And on the other side use the landscaped area of the brickworks to cut through where some of those houses are now and connect with the surface road out there.
But then you have the west thebby hotel and council community centre and a heritage listed bomb shelter.

What I hope they're doing is identifying what can go and what can't, with an eye on most of it going. Then again a long suburban tunnel would be great.

bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4580 Post by bits » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:26 pm

SBD wrote: If the N-S Motorway consumes all six lanes over the bridge, then a new bridge would be required somewhere else for local traffic
There is nothing local to access between T2T and Brickworks, so why do you need a local road?

bits
Legendary Member!

#4581 Post by bits » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:28 pm

claybro wrote: And what of the cemetery?
The cemetery stays exactly where it is. Accessible from a dead end Adam Street.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#4582 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:37 pm

surely the tunnel portal would start back here. only need to acquire the one business

SBD

#4583 Post by SBD » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:11 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:37 pm
surely the tunnel portal would start back here. only need to acquire the one business

I wonder if that is the place for either a tunnel under the Torrens or a higher elevate motorway over it. In either case, perhaps that is why the Urban Stone place wasn't acquired for T2T. Perhaps it wasn't needed for the planned remainder under Weatherill and Mullighan. We don't know the Marshall/Knoll plan (but suspect it involves a long tunnel if they can pay for it). I get the idea that Malinauskas/Koutsantonis don't like the old plan, or they would be pushing to have it underway and claiming the credit because Labor thought of it.

claybro

#4584 Post by claybro » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:34 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:37 pm

That location makes sense for a tunnel entry in this section. The road is already lowered, and a tunnel from here through to Mile End would avoid all of the issues through Thebarton.

ChillyPhilly

#4585 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:39 pm

The River Torrens would prove a significant challenge for a tunnel.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#4586 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:06 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:39 pm
I think there's enough space to get under the river

SBD

#4587 Post by SBD » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:29 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:06 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:39 pm
I think there's enough space to get under the river
The first tunnel under the Thames in London was completed in 1841. If they could do that then, I'm pretty sure the Torrens would be no real barrier.

ChillyPhilly

#4588 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:33 pm

It's more the steep decline required to get under it. Probably a gradient not suitable for a motorway.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#4589 Post by SBD » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:40 pm

bits wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:26 pm
SBD wrote: If the N-S Motorway consumes all six lanes over the bridge, then a new bridge would be required somewhere else for local traffic
There is nothing local to access between T2T and Brickworks, so why do you need a local road?
I admit I don't know the area well. There looks like a residential area in West Hindmarsh and an industrial area against the Torrens in Welland. I was guessing that access to/from those from the south was via the South Road bridge.

I also imagined that the industrial area along West Thebarton Road might be accessed from the north via that bridge, but perhaps it is accessed by Port Road. Businesses north of Ashwin Parade and residences south of it would also currently use South Road to go north I expect.

SBD

#4590 Post by SBD » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:56 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:33 pm
It's more the steep decline required to get under it. Probably a gradient not suitable for a motorway.
How deep is the T2T trench? How deep would the floor of a tunnel under the Torrens need to be?

Just eyeballing it as I drive through, I doubt a tunnel would need to be much more than twice as deep as the trench, but I accept that hasty glimpses could be deceiving.