[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4591 Post by Saltwater » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:15 am

The trench is already lowered by the time it hits Grange Road heading North. So southbound, lowering into a tunnel shouldn't be a big deal from Hindmarsh through to Brickworks. The River Torrens underneath South Road clearance is maybe only 10m, so by no means insurmountable. Even if the tunnel roof design required it, a small weir created could just back the river up slightly towards Port Road.

The local community through Thebarton and Mile End has already been mobilised, and at this stage at least there is bipartisan support from Labor and the LNP for a tunnel through the area. Any other option would unleash significant opposition, with or without it going anywhere near the Thebby. In my opinion, to retain the character of the deep inner West, and avoid complication with at-level intersections with HBR and SDB, the most pragmatic solution involves tunnelling through Thebarton and Mile End, surfacing around the James Congdon / Richmond Road intersections and then a trench / hybrid tunnel from there to connect at Darlington.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#4592 Post by Goodsy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:34 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:33 pm
It's more the steep decline required to get under it. Probably a gradient not suitable for a motorway.
they'd start to decline at the bottom of the T2T trench, not the surface

ml69
Legendary Member!

#4593 Post by ml69 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:28 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:15 am
The local community through Thebarton and Mile End has already been mobilised, and at this stage at least there is bipartisan support from Labor and the LNP for a tunnel through the area. Any other option would unleash significant opposition, with or without it going anywhere near the Thebby. In my opinion, to retain the character of the deep inner West, and avoid complication with at-level intersections with HBR and SDB, the most pragmatic solution involves tunnelling through Thebarton and Mile End, surfacing around the James Congdon / Richmond Road intersections and then a trench / hybrid tunnel from there to connect at Darlington.
Agree that this suggestion is the most pragmatic and sensible outcome. That Thebarton and Mile End section of South Rd is the most attractive section of its entire length, it would be a shame to destroy it.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4594 Post by SBD » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:04 pm

ml69 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:28 pm
Saltwater wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:15 am
Agree that this suggestion is the most pragmatic and sensible outcome. That Thebarton and Mile End section of South Rd is the most attractive section of its entire length, it would be a shame to destroy it.
The original (Weatherill Labor?) version had short tunnels under the Henley Beach and Bradman intersections. I think it was undecided about whether to go over or under the Torrens. At the time, this was expected to preserve the school and historic buildings. Tom K appears to think this is no longer viable, as we don't hear him touting for it to happen ASAP. It then had a superway-style elevated roadway past Castle Plaza I think.Reputedly the reason for building the northern section first was to derisk the construction of that section.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#4595 Post by aceman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:28 pm

drove through Darlington today and finally those traveling south that don't wish to continue onto the SEXY can cut out 5 sets of lights. I was impressed as I thought there was nothing in it for us non expressway users. in the meantime I'll continue to dream about an entry/exit at major's road which should have been there in the first instance.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#4596 Post by Furyan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:51 pm

aceman wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:28 pm
drove through Darlington today and finally those traveling south that don't wish to continue onto the SEXY can cut out 5 sets of lights. I was impressed as I thought there was nothing in it for us non expressway users. in the meantime I'll continue to dream about an entry/exit at major's road which should have been there in the first instance.
Yes it was good to be able to use the lowered motor in both directions for the first time.
For the next three weeks, at night time, it will not be able to be used in either direction during the week.
This is while they do testing on the Intelligent Transportation System. Detours will be in place.

https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... los....pdf

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#4597 Post by kymbosa » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 am

aceman wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:28 pm
Ask the local Lib Member about the majors road build! Both parties at the last state election said they’ll build this.

If you enquire now, his office won’t get back to you about it. I have enquire via three calls and 2 emails about this project over the last 2mths. I have also checked in with labor who are in near by seats, and they have been unable to get answers.

It’s required but won’t happen.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#4598 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:13 am

kymbosa wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 am
If you enquire now, his office won’t get back to you about it. I have enquire via three calls and 2 emails about this project over the last 2mths. I have also checked in with labor who are in near by seats, and they have been unable to get answers.
Apparently they only promised to investigate it, not to actually do it :-|

RiseHigh
High Rise Poster!

#4599 Post by RiseHigh » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Apparently they only promised to investigate it, not to actually do it :-|
[/quote]

(Yeah we will investigate that) ha that sounds about right typical liberal response, all talk no action.

claybro

#4600 Post by claybro » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:15 pm

kymbosa wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:11 am
[quote=aceman post_id=192384 time=<a href="tel:1591613882">1591613882</a> user_id=141]
Ask the local Lib Member about the majors road build! Both parties at the last state election said they’ll build this.

It’s required but won’t happen.
[/quote]

Been many years since I used Majors road, has traffic increased enough on this spot to even warrant an entry/exit for this road? Surely the existing South Road or Lonsdale are adequate to acces Majors?

bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4601 Post by bits » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:18 pm

claybro wrote:
Been many years since I used Majors road, has traffic increased enough on this spot to even warrant an entry/exit for this road? Surely the existing South Road or Lonsdale are adequate to acces Majors?
There is little traffic on the road with nearly nothing built on it.
Only the suburbs of Hallett Cove and Sheidow Park would see any benefit and it would be a very small benefit.

The entry/exit does not exist because it would be a giant waste of money.

claybro

#4602 Post by claybro » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:49 am

bits wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:18 pm
claybro wrote:
Only the suburbs of Hallett Cove and Sheidow Park would see any benefit and it would be a very small benefit.

Yes that's how I remember it. So why all the angst about about an entry/exit to the expy?

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#4603 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:13 pm

claybro wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:49 am
bits wrote:
claybro wrote:

Yes that's how I remember it. So why all the angst about about an entry/exit to the expy?
Because at Panalatinga SEXY only has a northbound entrance and a southbound exit, which means there's no way onto the Expressway to head south, or get off heading north, between Marion Rd and Sherriffs Rd, which makes SEXY a pointless bit of decoration for the people living in Aberfoyle Park, Happy Valley, Flagstaff Hill, Coromandel Valley wanting to head for Noarlunga and beyond.

Given the mess that is SEXY x Panalatinga x Main South/Reynella Bypass x Kenihans/Old South, a simple set of on-off ramps in both directions at Majors would be ideal - and they already have basic on-off ramps for the MFS depot right next to the bridge.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#4604 Post by alexczarn » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:13 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:13 pm
claybro wrote:
bits wrote:

Because at Panalatinga SEXY only has a northbound entrance and a southbound exit, which means there's no way onto the Expressway to head south, or get off heading north, between Marion Rd and Sherriffs Rd, which makes SEXY a pointless bit of decoration for the people living in Aberfoyle Park, Happy Valley, Flagstaff Hill, Coromandel Valley wanting to head for Noarlunga and beyond.

Given the mess that is SEXY x Panalatinga x Main South/Reynella Bypass x Kenihans/Old South, a simple set of on-off ramps in both directions at Majors would be ideal - and they already have basic on-off ramps for the MFS depot right next to the bridge.
I've argued you only need Northbound offramps, and southbound on ramps.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4605 Post by Spotto » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:43 pm

alexczarn wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:13 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:13 pm
claybro wrote:

I've argued you only need Northbound offramps, and southbound on ramps.
If the mess at Panalatinga were to be reconfigured similar to Bolivar on the Northern Connector (in both cases the motorway and main road run parallel briefly) then the case for Majors Road becomes almost redundant, it's not as if they don't have the space. They've got two options, improve the Panalatinga interchange or build a new interchange at Majors Road.