[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
muzzamo
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades - Discussion thread

#76 Post by muzzamo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:05 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:Rhino keep you posts on the topic and don't use cheap shots and personal insults to get your point across, If you feel you can't behave i'm happy to discuss this with you face to face!!! :(
I tend to agree with Rhino on this one.. Unfortunately most people don't understand the difference between "an idea", "a concept", and "a plan backed by a fully funded study". I guess you can't blame them

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#77 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:
rhino wrote:You just feel? You just feel? $35million of Federal money was spent doing a study into what was needed. The results are in the public realm and are there for you to look at. If money was spent on our infrastructure according to the way "You just feel", well, I guess at least you'd be happy.

Rhino keep you posts on the topic and don't use cheap shots and personal insults to get your point across, If you feel you can't behave i'm happy to discuss this with you face to face!!! :(
You just don't get it, do you? You want us to take you seriously and you come out with stuff like that? Never mind the fact that they did a comprehensive study, you just feel that they're doing it wrong.

And what was off topic about what I wrote? I pointed out that a lot of money was spent making sure that they were getting it right, and that it would be folly to follow your instincts after a study proved something different was needed. That is totally on topic in this discussion thread. As for meeting me face to face, what's that? A threat? Where are you? Behind the bike shed having a smoke and flexing your muscles? We're not in school any more. :roll:
cheers,
Rhino

Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#78 Post by Jim Boukas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:25 pm

rhino wrote:And what was off topic about what I wrote? I pointed out that a lot of money was spent making sure that they were getting it right, and that it would be folly to follow your instincts after a study proved something different was needed. That is totally on topic in this discussion thread. As for meeting me face to face, what's that? A threat? Where are you? Behind the bike shed having a smoke and flexing your muscles? We're not in school any more. :roll:
You little man telling someone they feel and feel and they'll feel better is insinuating self gratification very offensive stick to the point, I feel eqaully as threatened. :x

What was I thinking the government always get the right answer when they spend millions MFP ring a bell? :cheers:

You must be a public servant :?:

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#79 Post by drwaddles » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:16 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:You little man telling someone they feel and feel and they'll feel better is insinuating self gratification very offensive stick to the point, I feel eqaully as threatened. :x
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even want to go do look more like?

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#80 Post by iTouch » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:17 pm

I feel eqaully as threatened.
it's a forum not a ghetto.

Nevertheless, I propose a rap battle to sort this issue out.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#81 Post by Wayno » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:34 pm

Time for a bat slap!
batslapper.jpg
batslapper.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nort

#82 Post by Nort » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Jim Boukas wrote: What was I thinking the government always get the right answer when they spend millions MFP ring a bell? :cheers:
I'll call you on that.

The MFP plan fell through largely due to public sentiment and a erosion of political goodwill towards the project, in terms of the infrastructure planning though which parts of the plan do you think were insufficient?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#83 Post by mattblack » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:18 am

mattblack wrote:Seeing this thread is so much like the bias, ill-informed, bollocks filled arguments, stated so many times I want to open a vein that the Adelaide Oval discussion thread encouraged, I think I will stay well clear from now on. Will somebody please tell me when there is some sort of intellegent discussion, Cheers.
Just thought id pop in and see if I was missing anything. Why didnt someone tell me there was a bitch fight going on !!! Gather round people, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT FIGHT !! Its not intelligent but this is Fun. :D

Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#84 Post by Jim Boukas » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:47 am

I'll make him an offer he can't refuse:
1847212_avatar_large.jpg
1847212_avatar_large.jpg (4.64 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

drsmith
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#85 Post by drsmith » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Looking at the peak hour delay graphic on page 60, the priorities post current and projected projects needs to be the whole section from Regency Road to anzac highway and grade seperation at Ayliffes and Daws Road. Given free-flowing traffic that would flow originalt from the duplicated Southern Espressway post Darlington upgrade, one onders why the latter does not include the Ayliffes intersection.

The next priority after Darlington is listed as Grange Road to Regency Road. This I imagine will require a tunnel for a free flowing outcome at god only knows what cost. With the Darlington upgrade (Sturt Road/Flinders Drive grade seperations) anticipated for completion in 2021, not much is going to happen immediately south of Regency road for a long time.

Anzac Highway to Grange Road looks equally as bad as Grange Road to Regency Road as of the time of the graphic (2008). This may have been the RAA's inspiration to suggest a tunnel for the whole lot. With the superway and nothern connector completed though, it could be a very dfferent story.

The RAA's vision from Regency Road to Anzac Highway does not look even vaguely likely before 2025 at the earliest.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#86 Post by muzzamo » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:08 am

drsmith wrote:This I imagine will require a tunnel for a free flowing outcome at god only knows what cost
I think the answer to when this will be done is entirely dependent on when the political will for tolls comes about.

rhino

#87 Post by rhino » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:07 pm

In my opinion, it's not practical to decide at this point in time, which order the different projects should be done in, because as each project is completed, it has the ability to change the nature of the road use along other parts. For instance, the building of the connector from South Road to James Congdon Drive has moved some traffic away from the South Road / SDBD junction and the Henley Beach Road junction, thereby reducing the urgency of upgrading these junctions. Similarly, upgrading the Ayliffes Road junction could have a huge impact on the amount of traffic that continues north up South Road.
cheers,
Rhino

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by Isiskii » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:17 pm

What I don't understand is - wouldn't it be cheaper to build a completely new road adjacent to South Road and acquire all the properties in the way have construction take 3-5 years; than to upgrade South Road itself and have construction take 10-15 years...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by AtD » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Isiskii wrote:What I don't understand is - wouldn't it be cheaper to build a completely new road adjacent to South Road and acquire all the properties in the way have construction take 3-5 years; than to upgrade South Road itself and have construction take 10-15 years...
Not by a long shot. Land is the biggest cost of the majority of building projects.

Aidan

#90 Post by Aidan » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Isiskii wrote:What I don't understand is - wouldn't it be cheaper to build a completely new road adjacent to South Road and acquire all the properties in the way have construction take 3-5 years; than to upgrade South Road itself and have construction take 10-15 years...
No it wouldn't - it would be much more expensive. The savings from not having work restricted by the need to keep traffic flowing would be dwarfed by the huge extra cost of land acquisition. Earthworks costs wouldn't be any lower (and may even be higher) and there would probably also be significant heritage issues. Plus of course there'd be enormous political opposition from those people who suddenly found themselves living next to a major road.

As to the time taken, that really depends more on how much funding the politicians are willing to commit than any technical aspect of how the work is done. Upgrading South Road itself could be done in 3 to 5 years - there's no technical reason why the projects would need to be done sequentially. But it would mean that construction companies would tender high, as (with so much other work on) all companies could easily afford to lose a few bids.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.