[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

[U/C] Re: #article: PM hints at South Rd funding

#16 Post by Shuz » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:18 pm

This is decent news to hear. I would seriously consider voting Howard if he keeps his promise and secures the funding.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by crawf » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:01 am

Kevin Rudd, should propose something big for South Road aswell

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Ho Really » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:38 pm

Electioneering or not, let's hope we get the funding. As for Kevin Rudd he'll come up with something else. That's politics for you.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by bdm » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:23 pm

I'd name it after the Highway Commissioner who died when it was announced that the freeway reserve was going to be sold. He had a heart attack and carked it, poor bastard.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#20 Post by rev » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:39 pm

momentkiller wrote: This is decent news to hear. I would seriously consider voting Howard if he keeps his promise and secures the funding.
I sincerely hope your joking.
Kevin Rudd, should propose something big for South Road aswell
Why?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by crawf » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:28 pm

Why what?. South Road is a disgrace and it needs a major upgrade

First time I've agreed with shuz in ages, but I reckon I might consider voting Howard if he keeps his election promise

rev

#22 Post by rev » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:00 pm

:roll:

nvm, waste of time.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by stelaras » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:58 pm

If we are to get money to link South road and associated roads to the AusLink network, then you will find that labour would back it as well.

From my experience in medical research when we seek a funding boost and a committment from the government to increase funding we approach both sides of politics and pitch our case. I have been involved in this political push on 2 occasions and we have sought major committment from both sides of parliament. From my more senior colleagues who have done this before have had similar experiences, because at the end of the day when you approach the government for money or an increase in funding you usually do it on the back of an independent report which suggests that the field urgently needs an injection of money.

As i understand the proposal for South Road funding was strongly backed by an independent review proces which highlighted that Adelaide was lacking a strong North-South corridor.

The guys that pitched this to the Liberals would have also pitched it to the labour party as well. The only reason why you hear about it in the media is because Howard can use it to his advantage. aka the destitute hospital in a rural marginal seat in Tassie.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#24 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:24 pm

What election promise? All he's saying is that they'll look into it, and even that's not a promise. If he wins the election, he'll be laughing and saying no promises were made. If he loses he'll say it's SA's fault because he didn't win those marginal electorates. I stopped believing what Howard says a long time ago.
cheers,
Rhino

rev

#25 Post by rev » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:25 pm

rhino wrote:What election promise? All he's saying is that they'll look into it, and even that's not a promise. If he wins the election, he'll be laughing and saying no promises were made. If he loses he'll say it's SA's fault because he didn't win those marginal electorates. I stopped believing what Howard says a long time ago.
Exactly. Its disappointing though there are people who are still easily fooled by the same bag of tricks from Howard.

And Crawf, if your going to base your vote on funding for a single road when there are issues of far greater importance, then please, don't vote. Ill send you a cheque for the fine.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#26 Post by Cruise » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:33 pm

rev wrote:
rhino wrote:What election promise? All he's saying is that they'll look into it, and even that's not a promise. If he wins the election, he'll be laughing and saying no promises were made. If he loses he'll say it's SA's fault because he didn't win those marginal electorates. I stopped believing what Howard says a long time ago.
Exactly. Its disappointing though there are people who are still easily fooled by the same bag of tricks from Howard.

And Crawf, if your going to base your vote on funding for a single road when there are issues of far greater importance, then please, don't vote. Ill send you a cheque for the fine.
Even Kevin Rudd has come out and said they'll look into it. Although i want to see south road fixed id rather see AWA's get torn up.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by bdm » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Keating approved funding for the Adelaide-Crafers Highway, lost office, and then John Howard opened it years later.

rev

#28 Post by rev » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:52 pm

Cruise Control wrote:
rev wrote:

Even Kevin Rudd has come out and said they'll look into it. Although i want to see south road fixed id rather see AWA's get torn up.
Yea I know.
And well, exactly again on your second point. South Road shouldn't be a primary reason for deciding who to vote for. Its a secondary issue, if that. This isn't a state election, its a federal election.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by stelaras » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:49 am

rev wrote: South Road shouldn't be a primary reason for deciding who to vote for. Its a secondary issue, if that. This isn't a state election, its a federal election.
ide say it doesn't even rate in the top 10 of issues!

However, the point i was trying to make with my post is that whilst no guarantees have been made the independent panel who are pitching this would try and sell it to both sides of parliament..

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Will » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:38 am

I think it is pathetic and juvenile to change your vote on the issue of funding for South Road. There are much more serious issues to analyze when voting at this federal election. The issues such as Workchoices, the Howard governments apathy and doubt on climate change, its privatization of education, Iraq, its blind support for Bush...I could go on for days.