[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades - Discussion thread

#61 Post by SRW » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:27 pm

It smells like flaming bait in here.
Keep Adelaide Weird

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#62 Post by mattblack » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Seeing this thread is so much like the bias, ill-informed, bollocks filled arguments, stated so many times I want to open a vein that the Adelaide Oval discussion thread encouraged, I think I will stay well clear from now on. Will somebody please tell me when there is some sort of intellegent discussion, Cheers.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by AtD » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:43 pm

Two points:

The SE Fwy doesn't carry that much commercial traffic, just 3,500 vehicles per day. The section of South Road north of Grand Junciton Road carries up to 6,600 vehicles per day (the highest in the state I believe). Port Wakefield Road carries 5,200 vehicles per day.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/transpor ... olumes.asp - select commercial vehicles

That being said, PT can in some instances improve the use of roads for commercial vehicles by removing commuter traffic. I don't know how much of the traffic along that part of South Road is city bound commuters. I wouldn't imagine a huge portion.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by AtD » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:45 pm

mattblack wrote:Seeing this thread is so much like the bias, ill-informed, bollocks filled arguments, stated so many times I want to open a vein that the Adelaide Oval discussion thread encouraged, I think I will stay well clear from now on. Will somebody please tell me when there is some sort of intellegent discussion, Cheers.
I think it'd be best to just watch the other thread.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#65 Post by monotonehell » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:MTH who i am is not important, what infuriates me though is the double standards that many of the people have on this issue, on one hand as you know many people have wanted a Nth/Sth Freeway for years and the said individuals knock it back quoting induced demand public transport considerations etc. Then the same ones support fixing south road up at either end and it bemuses me as to why the induced demand/public transport arguments don't apply then or does it only apply to projects they do not support :bow:
What you've just typed there shows that you have no idea what the current projects are meant to achieve.

Can you really not see the differences between a North-South Freeway and the mooted Superway project with respect to the types of traffic using it? Can you really not understand that those differences mean you cant draw analogies as arguments?

You only seem to understand things in absolutes. Well here's an absolute for you; "Different things are always different."
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[U/C] Re: South Road Upgrades | SWP: South Road Superway

#66 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:23 pm

monotonehell wrote:You only seem to understand things in absolutes. Well here's an absolute for you; "Different things are always different."
is that "same same", or "same difference"? these are, err, different you know :wink:

To Mr Jim Boukas, all of South Rd will get fixed, eventually. It just so happens the Feds are throwing money at the northern end right now (so no use complaining about that - let it happen). The State Govt will also soon start fixing the southern end too. It will meet in the middle at some point...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#67 Post by drwaddles » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:24 pm

Perhaps we should delete Jim Boukas as "he" is camaro's multi.

ac83
Gold-Member ;)

#68 Post by ac83 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:13 pm

Jim you keep talking about induced demand. I do understand your point as moving bottlenecks from one point to another doesn't always solves problems however think outside the square. We don't need AdelaideNoweans on this site. Do your research and understand why the Superway is getting built. Without truck movement our economy would come to a standstill. I drive Main North Rd, South Rd and Main South Rd several times a week (and sometimes the whole lot) and the studies are all correct with regards to the amount of trucks on South rd near GJ Rd and Cormack Rd.

And forcing people to use public transport? Unfortunately that will never happen. We can have the worlds best public transport system but the truth is Australians are in love with their car. Unlike other countries the car is king. Obviously there is a balance between private and public transport and they both need to be looked and worked on equally.

Just my :2cents:

Cheers,
Azz

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by monotonehell » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:32 am

For anyone interested. Here is a video explaining the MATS plan;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Q6berM0j0
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

DM8
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by DM8 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:55 am

monotonehell wrote:For anyone interested. Here is a video explaining the MATS plan;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Q6berM0j0
Whoever put that together has too much time on their hands.

Quite how it explains the MATS plan though (or how it has anything to do with the MATS plan at all) is somewhat of a mystery.
"You pay for good roads, whether you have them or not! And it's not the wealth of a nation that builds the roads, but the roads that build the wealth of a nation." ...John F. Kennedy

Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#71 Post by Jim Boukas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:08 am

drwaddles wrote:Perhaps we should delete Jim Boukas as "he" is camaro's multi.

Not sure who camaro is? I'm assuming someone that has insisted on freeways are the answer?

Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#72 Post by Jim Boukas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:18 am

ac83 wrote:Jim you keep talking about induced demand. I do understand your point as moving bottlenecks from one point to another doesn't always solves problems however think outside the square. We don't need AdelaideNoweans on this site. Do your research and understand why the Superway is getting built. Without truck movement our economy would come to a standstill. I drive Main North Rd, South Rd and Main South Rd several times a week (and sometimes the whole lot) and the studies are all correct with regards to the amount of trucks on South rd near GJ Rd and Cormack Rd.

And forcing people to use public transport? Unfortunately that will never happen. We can have the worlds best public transport system but the truth is Australians are in love with their car. Unlike other countries the car is king. Obviously there is a balance between private and public transport and they both need to be looked and worked on equally.

Just my :2cents:

Cheers,
Azz

I'm relatively new to this site and I’ve seen many comments regarding induced demand and even though it perhaps has a place in road planning i'd say it should not be the only consideration, I just over emphasised it a tad! :D

I do agree with you comment re Australians are in love with their cars, I'd imagine it has something to do with the large distances we need to travel from city to city etc?

I appreciate the reason why the super way is required; i just feel that it should not have taken a priority over the middle section.

Let's agree to disagree. :cheers:

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#73 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:25 pm

Jim Boukas wrote: I appreciate the reason why the super way is required; i just feel that it should not have taken a priority over the middle section.

Let's agree to disagree. :cheers:
You just feel? You just feel? $35million of Federal money was spent doing a study into what was needed. The results are in the public realm and are there for you to look at. If money was spent on our infrastructure according to the way "You just feel", well, I guess at least you'd be happy.
cheers,
Rhino

drsmith
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by drsmith » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:43 pm

The Yanks know how to do it. There's even a bike path.

Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#75 Post by Jim Boukas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:56 pm

rhino wrote:You just feel? You just feel? $35million of Federal money was spent doing a study into what was needed. The results are in the public realm and are there for you to look at. If money was spent on our infrastructure according to the way "You just feel", well, I guess at least you'd be happy.

Rhino keep you posts on the topic and don't use cheap shots and personal insults to get your point across, If you feel you can't behave i'm happy to discuss this with you face to face!!! :(